Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicyclezen
    replied
    Hi Pedal AZ! I know it’s been a few months, but I’d love to know if the Bafang shift sensor works well in conjunction with your Rohloff hub. This is an important and valuable piece of information with this beautiful bike you’ve built!

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Bobfnbw
    replied
    I too have a surly ogre. The frame size was a little too big for me although I wanted it larger for the larger internal triangle. That with a older Cane Creek thud buster 3G seat post made me feel too high and unbalanced on the bike. When I rode with Big Apple tires I didn't feel like I needed a front suspension fork but when I switched over to smaller thinner tires for durability I no longer had that floatiness bigger tires give you. Which is why I'm switching over to a ventana El Gordo fat bike with 4-in tires on sunringle mulefut 80 mm rims.
    Do you not ride the bike because it's big and heavy or do you not ride the bike cuz you don't have time for it? When I first built my surly I rode all the time but gradually that seemed to go away.
    I was living in Corpus Christi Texas and it wasn't a safe place to ride bikes in my opinion had too many close calls with automobiles. Then we had a couple bikers get killed in the town and I stopped riding. I was comfortable riding about 10 miles per hour. But anything faster than that was hard work on that bike. My new bike will have a roloff internal gear hub in the rear and the bbshd up front.
    I thought about getting a trike but the complexities of storing it and the lowness to the road made me rethink that. For what I'm paying to get this El Gordo built I could have as easily gotten a full suspension E trike. Time will tell.

Leave a comment:

• PedalAZ
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry haven't been on this site for a while. I still have the bike, but don't ride it often. It is fairly heavy between the big battery, motor and the internal hub. It rides great on roads, gravel, and non-technical singletrack.

• 73Eldo
    commented on 's reply
    Pedal hasn't been on the forum since that post last year so we will have to see if he still has notifications turned on. I started out with a Pugsley with 29's and the stock fats but it was such a hassle swapping I wanted to just build a 29 bike for the streets and I was thinking the Ogre would really fit the bill but there were just none to be found last fall. I like the bike I ended up building but every time I ride my Surly I do wonder how much nicer having 2 Surlys would be.

• r_713
    replied
    PedalAZ I'm in the process of building out a Surly Ogre frameset and came across this post during my Googling. Are you still riding your Ogre build? How is it going? Any long-term review?

Leave a comment:

• PedalAZ
    commented on 's reply
    The smaller standard size

• DCP
    replied
    Hi PedalAZ, just a question about your Surly Ogre build. Like you said, The Ogre has a 73mm bottom bracket size, just wondering which BBSHD size did you use, the 68-73mm standard, or the Fat 73-100mm? Great looking bike!!
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. Looks like the Orge can take larger chain rings and has narrower rear frame than the ECR that can take 29+. It also appears 68-73mm BBSHD fits the BB fine; including the lock but. Very clean!
    Last edited by Rider; 06-10-2018, 04:14 AM.

• PedalAZ
    replied
    I was more concerned about the drive side chainring clearance, while maintaining a good chainline, than clearance on the non drive side. Here are pics of both chainstay clearances.

Leave a comment:

• ncmired
    commented on 's reply
    Another great Surly build you have there, PedalAZ.

I think Rider would like a picture showing the clearance between the crank arm and the outside-left chain stay, if you can post one.

Another question - did you incorporate a shift sensor?
    Last edited by ncmired; 06-09-2018, 11:22 AM.

• PedalAZ
    replied
    The bike frame has a 73mm bottom bracket. Here is a photo of the left side clearance, as requested.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    What BB width BBSHD did you use and can you post a picture of the left side crank arm clearance. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Awe, that’s a great setup!

• PedalAZ
    replied
    Sorry, my bad, yes, a BBHD motor, with the 750 w programming.

Leave a comment:

• Hard Tail
    commented on 's reply
    Just been reading up on Rohloff hubs. Think I want one. You’ll have to write a ride article for us. That’s really a no expense spared project you’ve put together there.
Working...
X