Quadricycle mid-drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quadricycle mid-drive

I looking for advice on a mid-drive assist for a quadricycle. I have a CosyCycle quadricycle, which is basically two independent 21-seed steel-framed recumbent bicycles tied together side by side. While going up the 20-30% grade hill on the bike path near our home my wife and I really stuggle; several times we had to coast backwards to the bottom, rest, and try again, even though we have a 28T chainring and 34T granny-cog. When we can make it up it is at below walking speed for the 60-120 seconds it takes us to go up.

I replaced the rear wheel with a 450W hub motor which really helped us go up shallow grades but couldn't help on these more intense grades as we couldn't go fast enough for the motor to output much power, and it didn't have much torque on the low end.

I would like to add either 1 or 2 mid-drive motors. If one, would probably need a 750W or more system. If two might be able to do 2 separate 350W systems, with a separate throttle for each. We don't need speed since the bike would tip going round corners faster than 8mph, so we rarely go faster than 12-14mph; going 14mph does get tiring but 8-12mph is often comfortable pedaling.

I am looking maybe at 2 3000W cyclone drives, limiting each to about 500W, or a single Bafang 750 or 1000W mid-drive. I'm not sure how much noise 2 cyclones going at low speed and power would be compared to the Bafang; if anyone knows how may decibels these put out I would appreciate it. I saw some youtube videos were the Cyclone seems very noisy but they were also going very fast. If there were 2 set a 500W they should be able to go up a 30% grade at 4mph without difficulty.

These bikes have 68mm bottom brackets, and Shimano Megarange 7-speed rear freewheels with 26" rear tires.

Any advice is appreciated, as well as maybe videos of some cyclones at low speed or Bafangs moving heavy tandem bikes.

Tim Gall

Hey Timothy,

Nice quad...

If money and time are not an issue I would go with the dual Cyclone option, but that would add a whole host of complications, so IMO to keep things in budget and simpler I would go with a single Cyclone 3000W mid drive option. There is no need to limit the Cyclone, as it comes with a controller 3 speed switch and if you really want low power you can go for the 36V option (cheaper), and that will limit the power even further, but it will still climb up a tree.

I would skip the Bafang altogether, as it will be pulling a massive amount of weight and you need a triple chainring for something like what you have.

My tadpole trike weights about 100 lbs and has 6 kW peak, and can do basically 60 mph with a Cyclone 3000W motor... so I think a Cyclone 3000W will be the way to go.

Christian Livingstone in this board is building something very similar to what you have, so I would hope he chimes in and gives his suggestion; he also is using a Cyclone 3000W motor as well.

G.

Originally posted by TimothyGall View Post
    I looking for advice on a mid-drive assist for a quadricycle. I have a CosyCycle quadricycle, which is basically two independent 21-seed steel-framed recumbent bicycles tied together side by side. While going up the 20-30% grade hill on the bike path near our home my wife and I really stuggle; several times we had to coast backwards to the bottom, rest, and try again, even though we have a 28T chainring and 34T granny-cog. When we can make it up it is at below walking speed for the 60-120 seconds it takes us to go up.

I replaced the rear wheel with a 450W hub motor which really helped us go up shallow grades but couldn't help on these more intense grades as we couldn't go fast enough for the motor to output much power, and it didn't have much torque on the low end.

I would like to add either 1 or 2 mid-drive motors. If one, would probably need a 750W or more system. If two might be able to do 2 separate 350W systems, with a separate throttle for each. We don't need speed since the bike would tip going round corners faster than 8mph, so we rarely go faster than 12-14mph; going 14mph does get tiring but 8-12mph is often comfortable pedaling.

I am looking maybe at 2 3000W cyclone drives, limiting each to about 500W, or a single Bafang 750 or 1000W mid-drive. I'm not sure how much noise 2 cyclones going at low speed and power would be compared to the Bafang; if anyone knows how may decibels these put out I would appreciate it. I saw some youtube videos were the Cyclone seems very noisy but they were also going very fast. If there were 2 set a 500W they should be able to go up a 30% grade at 4mph without difficulty.

These bikes have 68mm bottom brackets, and Shimano Megarange 7-speed rear freewheels with 26" rear tires.

Any advice is appreciated, as well as maybe videos of some cyclones at low speed or Bafangs moving heavy tandem bikes.

Tim Gall
    Alpha One 6000W tadpole e-Trike (Cyclone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC8MRwvgUM
    Alpha Two Cyclone 3000W tadpole e-Trike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkakVw8yY8E
    Electric Cyclone 3000W eBike "power mod": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weSmz_h3Ig

Comment

Working...
    X