Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Fat Cargo Bike - BBSHD - No controller - Secret Sauce Programming

Hey everyone,

While doing trailcare over the years I've always had the idea of making up a bike that could get me and my tools to the neglected trails that are too far inside the parks for cars to reach. I tossed around the idea of different cargo bike styles or trailers but finally pulled the trigger on a new Waltly titanium long tail cargo frame.

I've just finished the build and now I have to find a fabricator to make up my rear rack design. The frame borrows heavily from the Salsa Blackborrow but with a few tweaks to bolt locations, rack mounts etc. I moved the 2yo BBSHD and 52w/14ah shark battery over from another bike - they are still going strong! I used Mark Ostlund's great instructions (poweredride.com) to remove the display, controller and speed sensor and programmed the motor with Penoff's software using Karl's secret sauce (mostly). Thanks for the help guys!

Interesting points I found on this build so far was:
    - The chain is 146 links long.
    - The rear derailleur did not like my old 11-46t cassette no matter how I much I adjusted the tension - so it's back to a 11-42t cassette and the gear changes are so much smoother.
    - Wiping copper grease on every bolt and touching aluminium/titanium surface was tedious but mildly therapeutic.
    - The decision to mount the battery under the downtube is still not locked in yet - a nice rock/stick could cause drama there.
    - The Lekkie crank arms are a thing of beauty and I should've got them ages ago instead of trying to use dodgy old crank arms all this time.
    - I tried to do a wheelie but physics said no and I almost dislocated both shoulders.

I'll post up more pics when the rack gets built.

https://www.poweredride.com/info/dum...isplay-options
    https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...ing-the-bbs02/
    https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-...sion-software/
    Clean handlebars - no controller or display Rear racks are still be designed

What are you planning to put behind the seatpost? Nice spot for a battery. It'd wheelie better, too...
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I was hoping the current battery would fit behind the seatpole but its a bit too tall. I was thinking a custom bag made up and filled with batteries. But that'll have to wait until after the shark battery dies.

Comment

• JPLabs
        JPLabs commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that happens.

Sweet looking frame.

I've never liked fat bikes until now (no good reason just astheitics), but that is a super sweet bike. The schwalbes make it look sooo good!

Just curious, with so much triangle and water bottle mounts right where you need them, why do you want your battery on the underside on the downtube?

Comment

• j0hnj0hns
        j0hnj0hns commented
        Editing a comment
        Fatbikes are awesome but yeah, some look... odd? Frame style and proportions are key I guess. I always liked the look of Trek Farleys and RM Blizzards as they looked like MTBs with good geometry but with big tyres. Love the Schwables - light, roll well and I've never had a sidewall tear (touch wood). Just trying something new re the battery placement. It wont fit behind the seatpost and if it's on the downtube then it blocks the other bottle holder too but I can probably do a bit of fiddling to fix that. I'm waiting for some Bike Bobs so that will open up some more options for me.

Cool well well keep us posted it is an awesome build so far!

Comment

So the electric cargo fat bike project is almost finished. I just need a way to carry long tools like shovels and rakehoes (McLeods).
        The long chain line hasn't been an issue and it hasn't dropped a chain once.

Comment

That looks awesome. Great job. Do you find Secret Sauce works well for you? Once I found the Limitless profile on this forum, I can't see me ever switching from it. I found it far more intuitive and natural feeling than anything else I tried. To me, anything else I tried felt like a bike with a motor strapped to it (there was a sensory disconnect between the bike, the motor, and myself), whereas the Limitless made it feel far more like a torque sensored bike: as if I just had strong legs and was riding a normal bike.

Comment

• j0hnj0hns
            j0hnj0hns commented
            Editing a comment
            I ended up getting a smaller 500c controller and going back to a PA setup with no throttle because the throttle felt it had no gradient (just on/off). I have not heard of this Limitless profile but sounds good. I'll have a search for it now.
        Working...
        X