Surly Wednesday/BBSHD/Rohloff hub build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surly Wednesday/BBSHD/Rohloff hub build

I tore a perfectly good e bike apart today, my Motobecanne Sturgis Bullet, which has served me well. On my bare frame Wednesday, I will be using the tires and rims, 180 mm juice brakes, Rock Shox fork, the stem and handle bars and brake levers, throttle and display, the BBSHD, AND the 17 AH triangle battery. Oh, the Thudbuster seat and post also, and maybe the rear rack. Using all these components saved me enough money, and having gotten the Bullet cheap to start with, and having a lot of trail riding out of it, seemed to make financial sense more or less. What I have less is bare a frame, that I will try and sell, for $100.00. It appears that the swap is going to be relatively painless, the battery tray will bolt right on, as well the forks and handlebars.

I'm going to do like I did last time on the Bullet: set the battery in the padded tray and then using pipe wrap tape and sign corrugated plastic and very thin aircraft plywood (for side of battery protection if (when) I dump it) simply put a heavy wrap of tape around it., and the top and bottom of the frame. This is extremely secure, and easy, plus it has the advantage of looking terrible, for theft protection. But, I'll probably get some black cordura fabric and make up a faux triangle bag, just to make it look all pretty. When I need to take it out, never, until replacement anyway) a utility knife does the job in about 5 minutes.

The hub will be here by the weekend, then I'll drop it off at the LBS to lace it up, while I get my ducks in a row and all the other details.

Looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Comment

LUNA screwed up my Rohloff order. Every other retailer of them clearly states what you get: the hub, the shifter and cables for it. So, you can imagine my chagrin when I opened up the box today, and saw they had included a 180 mm disc (which is specific to the Rohloff, and I had already ordered one yesterday), a Rohloff chain tensioner (I had planned to order one tonight) AND a Monkey Bone torque arm, the thing that transfers the torque of the hub to the bike frame, and it turns out it will work perfect on the Wednesday frame.. So, I had to cancel my order for the disc, and put off my plans to order a Monkey bone and a chain tensioner, quite annoying.

OK, jokes over: everyone else who sells these hubs does NOT include those item, and I sure wasn't expecting them as I was already getting the hub a couple hundred bucks cheaper then anywhere else, so it was quite a pleasant surprise. THANKS LUNA! Oh yeah, almost forgot, also a Salsa skewer.

I only had a few minutes to play with things, but it appears the hub install will not present any obvious problems (it fits between the dropouts, that's a good sign....), and then I had take it to my LBS and get their wheel builder started on procuring the proper spokes. I should have it late next week. In the meantime I'll mount the battery, motor, fork and handlebars, that will keep me busy.

Comment

You had me getting riled up for a minute! I wasn't sure if I were mad at them or at you for exposing them lol. I would love to try out a Rohloff one day. I just can't justify it right now, but it's just a matter of time before I think of a good enough reason ;).

Comment

Keeping in mind I stole all the major components off my Sturgis Bullet, once I got the headset cages pressed into place, it was a simple matter to install the old handlebars and stem. The old brakes, hydraulic system intact, will bolt right on the new frame, and my old throttle and brake levers didn't have to come off, the entire handle bar assembly was pulled and re set complete, simple and quick! I will have to pull my right side grip to install the Rohloff shifter, that's it. By the time my rear wheel is laced up, I 'll have the cabling run and secured, and the (old) battery re-installed, the motor, the end is in sight. I'm just working on it when time permits, it's not really that big of a project timewise.

My Lekkie 42 T chain ring from Luna arrived today, so I can play around with the final amount of BB shims needed to have a PERFECT chain line, in all 14 speeds, which will be quite a change from my wonked out chain line on the Bullet. Though in it's defense, I never had chain problems at all, but I did have problems shifting, always hit or miss, no matter how the derailleur was played with, so unlike the precision and reliability ( the numbered gear twister'shifter is really handy, you KNOW hat gear you are calling for, and you can count on it being online) of the Rohloff.

Comment

Love it when things are plug and play like that. Not that all of your build was, but for the parts that were, it's a nice rest from having to learn patience :).

I rode my freshly tuned up 9 speed SRAM X0/X9 combo two days ago, which has a fantastic chain line, and with every shift that ground and skipped (fairly frequent), I thought of your Rohloff. My Townie shifts really well, but for some reason (maybe it needs better tuning) the much higher end (although 10 year older) SRAM is giving me a lot of trouble. It was barely ridden when I bought it, so I don't think it is worn, but maybe 10 year old cutting edge technology isn't as e-bike worthy as low end modern technology.

I am looking forward to hearing your report once you get the bike rolling.

Comment

It appears that my chain line is going to be dead straight, with a 5/16" thick shim between the chain side of the motor and BB. My clearances to the chain stay of both the 42 T chain ring and the motor housing are both about 1/8", thanks to the indent Surly puts in their frames on that right stay. Plenty of thread on the motor shaft left over, it's really shaping up nicely. I've had a couple of good rides on the Montague the last few days, I'm carrying it in the plane while on the skis for the same reason I carry it in the summer: transportation once one the ground. A skiplane is rare enough, a skiplane with a bike real rare, a skiplane with a ebike with a Rohloff hub....pretty sure I have a lock on that! The Rohloff is nothing but good, I sometimes forget how good if I don't ride it for a while, having one for the fattie will be the missing link for when I ride fat. Battery install next, while waiting on the wheel buildup.

Comment

That is definitely a rare sight. You need footage of your bike riding beside the plane as it takes off :).

Comment

Got my wheel back, all laced up per the Rohloff instructions, looks good. That's the largest rear cog Rohloff makes for the XL, 19 T, that along with my 42 T chain ring should give me the speed range I'm looking for. They install with a simple snap ring, an ice pick can do the job in less then a minute, so easy enough to play around with various sizes, and they are only around 30 bucks. When they get worn, you can flip them around and wear the other side.

Comment

I have hub envy. With 14 gears on one grip shifter, how easy is it to change from say your lowest gear to your highest gear if you are switching from a hill to a decent? Can you just crank your wrist and boom you are there? Without even needing to pedal?

​​​​

Comment

Any gear, any time. Like when in too high of a gear and at a full stop, and facing an immediate steep ascent? Real handy, and it's spoils you quickly and ruins you for a conventional derailleur type shifter. It just greatly simplifies things, not mention the wide gearing spread.

Got my motor torqued down for the first time, and the chain line, like I expected, is perfectly straight, and will stay that way through all 14 gears, it's hard to over emphasize how cool that is when in use. As I have never had a chain drop or break on my previous fatbike, with it's really tweaked chainline, (amazingly enough) with this one speed chain (BIG) and the easy life it will have, chain issues are even more remote.

I realized the Rohloff's stub axle (or whatever it's called, the part that engages the dropouts) was 10 mm, and the Surly slots were 12 mm. Bushing adapters, readily available for other uses, and cheap, so I have a bunch on the way. A bunch as I can envision losing them when pulling the rear wheel off and not paying attention. 3 or 4 bucks for a half dozen of them, I ordered $20.00 worth. This is after all a custom build and I need to figure out things as I go, so not unexpected.

Comment

That's so awesome. I have to get one of these things (one day). I have gone a little while crazy lately and need to chill out for a little bit :). Other than the shifting and chain line/drop benefits, I really want better gear range. On the bikes I have I am always left wanting for something a little higher and a little lower. To put it in perspective, I ride my Townie with a friend who was a competitive road biker. He is so fast that I have to work very hard to keep up with him up hills (even with my motor) and he can beat me down because I run out of gear.

Comment

I got it fired up yesterday, just a test run on the stand, while I wait for a few last minor components to show up. Since I couldn't find a thru axle type hub anywhere on the net through any retailer (even calling a few to see if they could order me in one, NO), I ended up buying a QR type. This requires some mods to make it interface reliably with the sliding dropouts of the Surley. Just some extra few nits of hardware, that will make the hub install bulletproof. I don't want any chance of the thing shifting around in the dropouts, and as Rohloff specifically says only use a thru axle hub with sliding dropouts, I have been warned! On a Surly blog, written by the Surly folk, they addressed this and blew it off, like I did. With a few extra ounces of hardware, it isn't going anywhere, period.

I also got the needed OEM2 axle plate ordered, after eventually figuring out that was what I needed. I stole the existing setup off my Montague, my other Rohloff install, and that really helped visualize what I needed to make it all work. I was actually able to use those borrowed parts to dummy it up and run it. All the Rohloff choices of torque plates, torque arms, axles, etc. gets a little confusing, combine that with the price and I can totally understand while most pass on them. But, after my initial runup, after getting the shifter cable system installed (kind of a head scratcher at first, but obvious in retrospect once you get it done, like all things Rohloff), I was reminded how cool this thing is.

The display told me 7.5 mph was top speed in first, 42 mph in 14 th. This was on the bike stand so that top end will be lower of course, probably low 30's. I am geared as low as I can go, with the 42 T chain ring and the 19 T rear cog, and as this ride isn't at all about top speed, that is plenty. The only time I'll enjoy that high speed will be between trail heads on the pavement, and after I air the tires up. This is a rock crawler, not a groomed bike trail ride or a street ride, but a go anywhere at a slow steady pace ride, an "adventure bike" if you will. The only air I'll ever catch is if I screw up! Pictures coming as things proceed, the end is in sight.

Comment

Wonderful. Looking forward to the pics.

How simple is shift adjustment on the Rohloff if it starts to shift badly? Or do they ever even go out of adjustment?

Comment

I have a serious case of Rohloff envy...
                              MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
                              2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11
                              2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive
                              2018 Surly ECR 1x7
                              1991 Schwinn Crosspoint 7spd (BBS02B)

Comment

Working...
                              X