• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And all the parts back to the bedroom after dry and cure time:

Comment

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks fantastic! I used the same paints for a tank, and had great luck. Not Glamour but their 2k primer, base, clears. Real durable, fuel hasn't hurt it. Hard.

Seems expensive, but not really, it cost a lot to do your own mix\spray of a 2k paint, too. And leftovers go bad. And are hard to scrap. Etc.

Nice call, I think.

Did not get time to start on the final sand/ compound/ polish of parts today. Stopped at H/F today to pick up a dual action 3" polisher, but they only had 6", 7", and 10" units in stock. So I just ordered one and should be in over the next few days. Then I can fix the orange peel and few runs on the clear coat. The additional can of basecoat and clearcoat should be in 6-10 days. Atleast I did the parts I need first, well, first. LOL. I am hopeful I can get all the parts that are painted and cleared finished by the weekend and start putting the major components together. I wont need the Tank and other unpainted (yet) parts until late in the build. So maybe the frame, fenders, front fork, will be together this weekend. Cant make it a "rolling" unit yet, as I still need to lace and true the wheels. The spokes and nipples are atleast in finally, and once the 2 rims are sanded/compound/ polished I can get those knocked out in half to 1 day. I never claimed to be fast at lacing/ truing, only that I have done it and they stay true. This will only be my 3rd set that I have built from scratch, but my last set managed around 1000 miles and only needed slight adjustment after the break in period. They were still true when I sold it. So, no pics today guys. Sorry. Hopefully some by the weekend.

Comment

Not a ton done, but progress. Amazing how life/ work gets in the way at just the wrong time. I have a stand coming in tomorrow to assist me in putting the frame and parts together. Still on schedule to be completed by my birthday/vacation (june 12). To keep you all over till parts start going on, here is a pic of the parts progress.

Comment

Put it together already! I want to see this beast in action!

Comment

• Defjr333
          Defjr333 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, since YOU say so......

Was not happy with how some of the parts turned out paint wise, so I sanded and re-shot some of them today.Thankfully they were mostly the small items like clamps and little brackets. Also got the tank painted and cleared. So finally done with paint. Thank God! I will be doing some accent places in a cream color, but that will be over top of the clear and can wait till bike is together. Some more pics for you all.......

Comment

Since I started early, I had time to START BUILDING!!!!! With my cheepo bike stand in, I figured, lets keep moving along and get some REAL progress. Managed to get Rear Fender, Motor, Chain Ring, Seat and Post, Front Fork (not trimmed to proper length yet....its a test fit to measure), Front Headlight, Front Turn Signals, and a few other little odds and ends installed. It is finally coming together. I cant cut the Front Fork Down Tubes until I get the Rims (decided to have them done by LBS for time savings). They should be done in the next week or so. I still need to compound polish the tank and install all the stuff that goes in it, then wire it all up. Not to mention the little detail stuff. But here you guys go......

Comment

And a few more pics from todays work...

Comment

Thats all I had time for today......But I am off again Saturday and will continue getting it put together. The plan is to let tank cure for 24-48 hours and get it Compound and Polished, then install the electronics that go in the tank, and get it mounted. Should have time to get the Tail light and Rear turn signals done then as well. Have to wait on the Front Fork trimming until LBS finishes my Rims. Getting close tho guys. OOOHH, just saw im a Guru now. LOL
              Last edited by Defjr333; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Just saw I dont have enough wire to run from Batteries to Motor, so i just ordered some along with a few odds and ends from Luna. May not get all the electronics done this weekend after all :(

Shout outs:

https://lunacycle.com/ for getting me addicted, GREAT service and parts, and most of all.....THIS FORUM
                http://www.haymarketbicycles.com/ for doing my rims (hub lace and true) not to mention advice and odds and ends purchased.
                https://www.sjscycles.co.uk advice and help selecting Hubs
                http://www.finishmaster.com/ help on Primer, Base, and Clear Coat selection and use instructions
                https://www.ebay.com/ all the various sellers used for such a large selection (too many sellers to list)

Thank you!

Last edited by Defjr333; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Now we are getting somewhere!!! Got a bit more done today after work. But it got dark and I started cleaning up and putting things away before realizing.....PICTURES are needed!! Sorry the bike is partially covered with rags(had to tie it to a post...only fits in stand upside down now that tank is on) and the handle bars are not tightened down(just a prelim check on height). I need to get some spacers for the head tube as it feels best at the height it is at in the pic(all the way up). I will take some better ones tomorrow when I get going on the electronics............ Pics:

Comment

Wow, great work! It looks like you are halfway through. This headlight is so wicked!

Comment

Thanks Toro.....just need to put wheels on, wire up electronics, and fine tune a few things. The little details like accent paint and logos will wait till it's done. Hoping to be done next weekend

Comment

Didn't get to take better pics today. Promise will tomorrow. Between work and side gigs and working on bike, I have worn myself out and took the evening off to let some soreness dissipate. Never felt my age before.....lol

Comment

I think your simple paint theme and earthy color choice are really inspired. Understated and elegant, to the point it will really stand out, aesthetically, I think. Nice.
                          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks JP.... getting older has brought me to appreciate simple styling. Still have to do the cream color trim and decals. It's supposed to me a modern take of the old day motorcycles. Albeit with lots of hidden tech. Off work today so I got up and started wiring up the electronics. Slow going as I am being xxxxxtra cautious of the internal wiring. 3 layers of heat shrink plus grommet where power and communication cables enter/exit the frame.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X