No announcement yet.

To Build a Better Ruffian, I need YOUR HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More wiring work......I was going to take a good pic of the bike right side up but may wait till tomorrow so I can keep plugging away at the electronics. Will see

Comment

Got horn, turn signals front and rear, and brake/tail light all wired up. All work except brake as the sensor needs the brake cable hooked up for sensing, manually pulling does function correctly. Both battery packs are installed as well as the DC to DC puck converter. All electrical wires from motor to tank are run and hooked up inside tank, but started raining so had to clean up. Still need to do connections at motor(xt90 power unplugged in tank for safety) Alarm system fully functional. Charger also installed inside tank. Still need to do the audio amp and speakers as well as install the front/rear cameras. I put my old wheels on bike to make it easier to move and get a feel for height. Went ahead and put the crank arms and pedals on to check ground clearance, and it is good(unless I am going to be cornering like a crotch rocket with my knees to the ground). Here is a pic I took about halfway through today's work, couldn't take one after everything was done due to raining. Enjoy

Comment

So it's both brake cables, shifter cable, shift sensor, audio and cameras, plus chain and new wheels, plus 12 connections at motor and it should be road ready. The cream trim and decals will be after everything else is done. Can not wait to see how this rides.

Comment

The bottom of frame is just 2.5" off the ground!!! Looks awesome, but besides knowing I can never go over speed bumps or obstacles without some serious care and caution(which is fine), I am just know realizing the kickstand shipped will not work. So I need to figure something out. With the size of this bike, I will be parking it in a parking space when at work. So it needs to be very stable, but I. Struggling to find anything that will work ....any ideas?

Comment

• JPLabs
            JPLabs commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, with the low frame, your could just make a short stand in traditional sense, but that would not reach outboard much, and thus could tip over pretty easily.

How about this - you could have an outrigger that pivots from the bottom tube, swinging outboard to open in the horizontal plane. Pivot near the front of bottom tube. Can open past center so it stays open with weight on it. Use 2 - put one on each side for symmetry and 'fall over' safety, perhaps.

If you were really crafty, it could be 2 tube-halves, which hug the frame when stowed, like a cover. Magnet embedded to hold it stowed without a latch. Add a spring or incline the pivot point for better stability open, as desired. Or just make the pivot tight, so you need some force to open/close. Or pin it, once open, for ultimate rigidity.

If that's hard to picture, think of a Leatherman pocket tool. Open half-way. Lay on table. The pliers handles are the outriggers, the nose is the frame bottom tube. Won't tip over :)
            Last edited by JPLabs; 3 weeks ago.

After a bit of searching and pondering, I wound up right back here with good ol Luna........

https://lunacycle.com/peg-leg-detachable-kickstand/

Now the question is should I use 2 or will 1 be stable enough with this heavy bike....Currently weighs 61lbs that is without wheels or chain!!!! One on each side of rear would probably make me just feel better, and allow a more upright position instead of it leaning where weight would become any issue. Anybody see flaws in this set up? If I do not find anything better, I will order 2(likely) on weds along with some brown pedals and a few other bits.

Comment

• JPLabs
            JPLabs commented
            Editing a comment
            Or, that, haha. Guess I should have read ahead....

That is one mean looking machine! I’d be scared to ride it and scratch it, much less park it and leave it somewhere.

The frame is so low maybe a small custom T stand secured to kickstand bracket would work and keep clean look. You could carry it and mount when you park. I’ve seen lowrider bikes use them at car shows. Some of them are pretty elaborate.

I made a wheel stand out of 2x4’s for mine. Maybe keep one hidden in the bushes at your work parking lot. It’s a lot more stable and secure than any kickstand.

I also have a hair rubber band on my grip to hold brake lever and use as parking brake. It really helps to keep the bike upright when parked.

Your ride is going to get a lot of attention on the street, I’d invest in a pit bull with rabies for security system.

Comment

I think im going to go with the Peg Leg(removable) from Luna. One on each side. My brake levers (Sturmey Archer) have built in button to lock brakes and I didnt think about them increasing stability when parked. Thanks.

Comment

Cool about the brake levers. I didn’t get with my S/A hubs. I’m using the electric cut off ones that came with the BBSHD kit. Are you going to use the brake sensor cables instead?

Comment

No. I want as few wires to have to hide as possible(I already have a lot) and I found you can use a shift sensor on the brake line(non hydraulic) to accomplish the same thing. Those can be installed anywhere along the brake line and are easy to hide.(mine inside tank) Plus the S/A levers look and feel better.

Comment

Before finalizing the electrical parts, I decided to run a current drop test on the power cables as I used 2 12awg for both + and - runs. I thought they would suffice. But upon tests, even though they did not suffer and voltage or current drop until 65amps, the insulation just gets too warm for my comfort. I have decided to re-run the power and communication cables. I admit I was impatient waiting for the proper parts to arrive. Luckily, I have caught my error before anything damaging could happen. Looks like the proper supplies should be in friday. It should however allow for more clearance of cables going in and out of frame and not be as tight as the current wire runs, allowing for some addition protections. I will be insulating the positive power cable the entire length inside the frame with 2 layers of heat shrink as well as the communications wires. I really do not want to have any shorts, or issues that will require disassembly down the road. While I am sure the power cable runs would have been fine under normal BBSHD power levels, I plan to upgrade the controller at some point, and foresee possibly up to 45amps at 52v. This is a fairly heavy bike(65lbs without wheels!!!), and I know the extra torque will be wanted. Not so concerned with top speed, as this is a bike for use on Public roads as well as private land. I will be programming different PAS levels for use when on Public roads. Preferably a 250w, 500w, 750w, and Full power setting. Unless I am just being an @$$ on Public roads, the police in my town all know me from my previous bike and even have asked in assistance with getting 3 of the Town Police bikes set up with BBSHD kits (yes Luna, I have them looking at you). They are all pretty chill about things, unless you are just causing problems.So, probably nothing to do on build until friday or sat. Till then.........

Comment

Im at the point of needing my wheels to make sure proper length of Hub Brake, and Gear Switching cables. I have run them "loose" but cannot secure them and put all the electronics back in until I know there is sufficient length(or not too much) for those two items at the rear. Awaiting an update from the LBS on the wheel build completion. Once those are in and installed, I can secure the 2 cables and put everything back in the tank for good. Also still awaiting the power cable from Luna, but managed to get the other cables done. More a waiting game for the final little bits and wheels to come to me. Will update when I get some info or able to move forward.

Comment

Where'd you get that light from, that thing looks awesome

Comment

Found the headlight on eBay.. it's called a finned grill headlight. It was in the motorcycle parts Dept. I scuffed the bucket up to paint as it comes all chrome. The little skeleton dude is just a stick on accessory in the same Dept. The lite was $29 and the little guy was $10. Unfortunately it was purchased a while back and it no longer appears in my app to give u a link. Super bright and has high and low beam

Comment

LBS just emailed with update on wheels. Probably ready tomorrow, weds at latest. Also waiting on power wire and stuff from Luna. Tracking shows delivery by 8pm today......Its 8:20 lol!! But once the Luna items are in I will wrap up the electrical entirely. Once the wheels are in I need to finish the brake and shifter cables, install new pedals, and kickstand. Throw on 2 chains (yes it takes 2 linked together to fit) and be ready to roll. The finishing touches (trim paint, decals, and stereo speakers) will be the last parts done as it is still usable without them. getting soooo close

Comment

Super frustrated right now. My Luna delivery that tracking showed would be delivered by 8pm yesterday changed to left Memphis facility at 3am this morning on it's way to destination. I'm in Virginia and I highly doubt it would be dispatched from there to my house. Therefore it has other USPS facilities to pass first and it is NOT on way to destination (my house). Tracking also no longer shows a date or time of delivery. After 65 mins on hold with USPS ended with them investigating it which can take 3-4 days before they even call back to let me know something. A normal 2-3 day delivery will now be 7-14 days. Looks like my 2 days off specifically to work on bike will have zero accomplished because of shipping times. This will throw me back at least a week and likely cause this to not be completed for vacation. Very disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                            X