No announcement yet.

To Build a Better Ruffian, I need YOUR HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels delayed a bit as well now. Likely nothing to add for week. Stay tuned

Comment

I know how it feels man. I remember when I let a shop lace my wheels. A couple of weeks, they said. And it was pobably 5 or 6 LOL. I was so agitated. I called the shop on the third week, I think, and the guy said they haven't started yet. So I am wondering what takes so long and he casually mentions that they need to order the spokes.
      But they did good job though. Next time I was prepared and didn't expect them to be ready on time.
      Around the same time I was a picker at a warehouse and a common mistake was when we had sets and someone instead of a set of two, for reasons unknown picked only one piece. A dumb mistake, but we all done it at least once. Fast forward - I am waiting for my eccentric BB30 ro BSA adapters from Luna t finally be able to install properly the electric motor on my Felt. I open the package and what do you know - only one piece. You could imagine my bitter disappointment. Now it is funny, but then it wasn't the least!
      Last edited by toro1978; 05-31-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

The LBS has done a great job keeping me up to date on the wheel build. They offered me options, and I chose the one that pushes it out a bit time wise purely because of the other parts not coming in on time. No rush on the wheels if the rest is not done. So it all boils down to waiting on USPS to deliver my $h1t. I ordered on the 22nd. Luna didn't get to ship for a few days, but USPS still showed delivery by yesterday by 8pm. 24 hours later, their system won't even give me a date for the delivery and calling just wasted an hour and a half. Is what it is, but nothing I can do but wait now

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have the order# so I can look into this for you?

Appreciate it Pax, but it's a USPS issue, not your end. They got back to me this morning(surprised). Somehow a group of packages did not make it on the flight TO Memphis on the 27th and then weather issues in Midwest made it worse. Package has been located and SHOULD be here today. So may get a little work done depending on how late it arrives. Will just have to try to get more done after work next 2 weeks to get caught up and hopefully finish before vacation.

Comment

So I have a gear shift sensor and brake sensor. Both are in line modules on the cables inside of the tank. The main bbshd harness has 2 brake sensor plugs. Can I use one of those for the shift sensor and just not use the single one from controller that is meant for the shift sensor? Rather not fish another wire through the frame if I don't need to. Appreciate any insight.

Comment

You can, but it won't work as effectively as the dedicated gearsensor. The time that it cuts power is significantly shorter with the dedicated plug, which means you will get smoother power delivery while shifting.

Comment

That's about what I figured. Should be ok, as I mainly stay in 2nd. Plus it's only 3 speed, not a lot of gears. Wonder if anything in programming would help. I do have a programming cable. Gotta get it done first then worry bout that. Thanks Pax

Comment

• JPLabs
                JPLabs commented
                Editing a comment
                If you use the brake input for gearsensor, I do think programming can help. Brakes trigger a 'stop'. You can reduce 'time of stop' in programming.

Figured one of those settings would help. Got a good bit done yesterday and gonna try and get at it here in a bit. All wires are now run and connections made to everything, just not hooked up inside the tank. All brake and shift cables run and hooked up except at hubs. So either today or tomorrow should have it all wrapped up and just waiting on the wheels. I do also still need to put a chain on it. Will take some more pics this evening.

Comment

Don't forget that shifting under load MIGHT destroy your IGH, so you should stop pedaling before you shift regardless of whether you ride electric or not. The default cut-off time is quarter of a second, but if you reprogramm it you won't need the gear sensor.

Last edited by toro1978; 06-03-2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Got everything done and waiting on the wheels. I do still need to decide on the trim I want to do. My original idea just doesn't look right without serious paint skills which I lack. A decal cannot do what I wanted with ghost lettering. But I do have a few other ideas. It's raining and bike is upside down on the bike stand on covered porch. Don't feel like taking it down for just a few pics, so you all will just have to wait till the wheels are in for those. They should be done within a few more days. Maybe o will get the trim work done by then and do some final pics and a walk around and a few ride videos(it does have front and rear cameras).

Comment

What about hydro printing or wet transfer decals for the trim?

Comment

I didn’t install gear sensor on my IGH. I just stop throttle or pedaling for a second like a regular bike. I’ve found that even if I wanted to destroy my hub, it won’t shift at all under load. Now I’m wondering about how important the brake sensors really are. You don’t usually brake and accelerate at the same time and I’ve found that there is a slight delay when re-engaging throttle while cornering that I don’t really like. Although I haven’t tested yet, it seems like if you don’t drive like an idiot and deliberately try to abuse the machine these failsafes are a bit redundant.

Comment

• toro1978
                        toro1978 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I removed my brake sensors. The Bafang brake levers I mean. I had ridden without them and later installed them. But I ride very defensively and I practically never pedal when I have to brake, so I removed them. I also have only 250W.
                        Still, your brakes will probably be good enough, you can always try it on an empty parking lot, disconnect brakes electrics and see how it feels.
                        About the gear sensor - you could always install the thumb throttle on the right side of the handlebars and combine it with a thumb shifter - to shift you need to move your thumb from the throttle to the shifter - gear sensor eliminated.

I pretty defensive rider myself. I don't see much need for a street bike to have the brake cut offs. Now a MTB definitely needs them with the hard stop/ starts continuously. I did use the gear shift sensor just to be cautious and already had one. My brake sensor is only for the brake light. It does not tie into the bbshd. I probably could have, just don't see the need right now. The kick stand issue has been resolved with the Luna peg leg removable unit. Works much better that I expected. The bike is more stable than any bike I have ever had. Great simple product. While I do still have a few small things to do, like the trim and finish hooking up brake and shift cables to the hubs(once I get them back), they will take less than an hour....minutes the trim work. I will be making another post later with a few new options on the trim/ art work choices I am looking at for everyones opinions. They range from a company style logo to naked ladies(seriously). More later

Comment

I rode my previous build for 3 years with throttle and brake sensors (Bafang levers). I did have times that the throttle lever stuck and would have been screwed without the brakes cutting the motor out. Other times I'd be mounting/dismounting or parking and bump the throttle and have the bike try to leave without me. After these glitches, I got used to ALWAYS keeping one brake lever squeezed when I was getting on or off, moving the bike or any other movement when the system was on. I could be at a light and re-position the pedals in either direction without worrying without the bike taking off.
                        At the moment I don't have either throttle or brake cutouts connected ( yet ) I've had times when I'm maneuvering between cars or a bridge on a bike path where I've moved the pedals just enough to trigger PAS when I really didn't want it. Previously I could just squeeze the brake lever a little, enough to keep the motor off, but now I get a surprise if things fall into place.
                        You could have a separate button to cut the motor off, but the brake is a natural place to reach when the bike is moving and you don't want it to. I would not consider the bike complete without brake motor cutoffs.

If I'm parking I switch off the battery as soon as I dismount and don't switch it on till I'm ready to go. I treat the brake cutouts like a clutch to keep the motor disengaged as if the transmission had no neutral, which a bike does not have.

Comment

Had not thought of "repositioning pedals" causing the bike to go. I am a throttle jockey on my last one, didnt use PAS much, but expect to on this one. Will keep that in mind. Thnx again Idearat. Hows yours coming along after the move? Took some quick pics of the "finished"(is it really ever?) product. I call it "finished" because I can not do the last items without the wheels(any day). My punch list is as follows:
                          1) Put on my new Wheels and tires. 2) Trim to length and attach Brake and Shift cables to Hubs. 3) Install front fender 4) Install chain 5) Final Trim
                          I "think" that is it. Here are some pics of it waiting for those wheels:

Comment

Working...
                          X