No announcement yet.

To Build a Better Ruffian, I need YOUR HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's on the road. Had a few issues with chain rub and a few things to tighten up so got started at 9am. Currently at Wally world borrowing a bit of ac

Comment

Originally posted by Defjr333 View Post
      Well it's on the road. Had a few issues with chain rub and a few things to tighten up so got started at 9am. Currently at Wally world borrowing a bit of ac
      Congrats on your first ride - that's quite the project. Enjoy that AC - it's toasty (mid-nineties) in the mid-Atlantic today, with the typical summer afternoon storms building.
      2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
      3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
      4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
      Other, Electronic throttle lock

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

It was a bit muggy today, but the AC was alternating current, not air conditioning

Comment

Great job. How is the ride?

Comment

Still working out a few bugs. The front fender was rattling so had to fiddle with the mount and screws etc.....but that's resolved. Headlight has a little bounce and working on it now. Chain slips only on high throttle or steep hill, ordered parts to resolve that will be in 25th. And last is a bit of play on the headset/ steerer tube. Going to have LBS cut the steerer tube down some and tighten it all up. Will look better without all those spacers anyway. All fairly minor. Still have to install the Alexa Moto mod that will integrate all the electronics, and put on decals. Got a severe tooth infection and had to schedule a dentist apt, so there went the vacay.....o well, off all next week to work on bike I guess. Will have to hit up beach later on in summer.

Comment

I had a bit of play in my headset too. Turned out to be the wrong headset. No Matter how much I tightened it just loosened back up. Replaced headset and works great. I also put a handlebar stem right on top of the fork bracket to brace it because it was bending from a couple of bumps I hit in the road. Always little bugs to fix. That’s the nature of custom building.

Comment

This being my 1st full build of an ebike or any bike for that matter, I am pleased so far. Got the heatset/ stem/ forks all fixed up at the LBS. They trimed down the steerer tube, reinstalled the headset and a few spacers, tighten everything up, and even checked/ adjusted my brakes and shifter. All they would let me pay for was the $3 part he used. So now it's down to just the chain slap(parts on order) and trim work. Have put around 60 miles on it in 3 days putting it through its paces. So far, really like the upright position of the bassman frame. It can get a little tight on sidewalks with it being 6'8" long lol. But I use it mostly on the streets.

Comment

So I have all the mechanicals done, and my alexa mod integrated and working. I decided to get the bike out on the road the past few days. The day before yesterday(6/24) I was at wallie world and not paying attention to my weather app as the tv and yahoo weather said no chance of rain. Well it DID rain, on my way home I was treated to 2.5 inches in under an hour. It was raining so hard cars were pulling over due to not being able to see. I turned on my hazard lights and flashed high beams all the way home (about 2 miles). Cars were waving me through red lights at intersections and giving me the right of way at every turn. I looked like I jumped in a swimming pool fully clothed when i got home, but I got home, AND the bike performed BEAUTIFULLY!!! So thats story #1.
                  TODAY, I was cruising back from up town, and got pulled over by a town cop. This idiot tried to tell me I was breaking 9 different laws. I replied with the ACTUAL CODE and handed him a print out(I keep a few folded up in wallet) of VA bicycle laws. He would not accept that I was on a bicycle!!!!!!! He kept telling me it was not a bicycle, but it was a "low speed transport vehicle" and I needed a windscreen or goggles, and a bunch of other stupid stuff. So when I finally pushed it and asked to be written any tickets and let me be on my way, he said he was going to just "warn" me. Well to his surprise, I was at his station when he arrived 20 mins later and one of the bicycle officers was RIDING MY BIKE in the police parking lot while I talked with the sheriff. That officer was treated to a mini course on bike law. I would usually let things like that slide, as everyone has bad days. But this guy was a d1ck. Here a just a few of the things he said I could not do:
                  Riding my bike on the sidewalk(even if i turned it off!)
                  Riding on streets I had to stay on the far right edge(not use the lane)
                  Stay under 18mph(not the right speed...its 35 here in VA....verified at station in code book)
                  I HAVE to have a helmet(B.S.)
                  It has to be registered(B.S.)
                  Has to have a safety inspection(LMAO where and by who...he didnt know....B.S.)
                  And told me I had to have a windscreen or goggles on!!!!(B.S.)
                  At the station, he tried to tell the bike officer he didnt say some of these things......Well, my bike has front and rear dashcams hidden inside the lights for accidents. They also record audio. I showed it to the bike officer but not the sheriff(dont want to get somebody fired, just trying to inform......at this point). So the officer that pulled me over finally at this point apologized to me and went about the rest of his day.
                  Do not get angry with police. Do not argue with police. Go straight to their superior and discuss things. It makes a world of difference.

Comment

Nice post about how to handle the police. Sounds like a close call. It always takes a while for them to adjust to new concepts. Nice job educating your local donut operators.

Comment

Fee updates.....
                      The past week my bbshd has been auto throttling. Without twisting the throttle or touching the pedals, it will decide to just go. It also seems to do this ANY time I roll the bike backwards. IE unmounted rider pushing bike frame backwards. It does this even with no throttle attached. I now unplug the battery before getting off bike and don't plug it in until I'm seated and ready. Not a HUGE issue as the brakes are plenty strong to hold it back, but the 1st time it happened caught me off guard,and damaged the front fender(bad paint scratch and dent), and twisted the handlebars slightly out of true(already fixed).
                      Still have a slight chain skip on rear cog, have not had time to install my chain tensioner yet. But it only happens on steep hills or dead stop full throttle.
                      I will likely break down a lot of parts on my 2 days off and repair any paint/ cosmetic stuff Fri/ sat. I will install the tensioner and a few other items at that point.

Comment

I am going to get a few things fixed/ improved on my 2 days off this week(I hope). I will be removing the front fender and repairing the small dent and large scratch, as well as touch up a couple other spots on the paint (rear fender from chain rub, few minor scratches on various places). I will also finally get to install the chain tensioner to eliminate chain rub on rear fender, and the issue of the chain skipping teeth on the rear cog(at full throttle from stop or large hills). I am also swapping out the turn/light/horn switch to a smaller designed switch. And last but not least, test my new method of turning off power to the motor from my phone without having to remove the phone from the mount(currently removing phone from mount or unplugging main battery pack are only ways off killing power). Oh yeah, the decals and final trim items are all in as well. I hope to have everything done Sat, and submit FINAL pics of the build to Luna for publishing on website(been holding off as I want it to look finished, not almost finished). If I get it all done, and have time, I plan to take it out to a few spots for some nice backgrounds. There is still one last item I have yet to order for it to be totally finished(are they really ever tho?)......that would be the Saddlebags. I WILL NOT be buying the bags from Ruff-Cycles, as I have many issues with them, along with the fact they want way too much $$ for them. Here are some pics of ones I like, feel free to chime and and let me know which ones you think would look best!(Besides the 1st one which is the Ruff-Cycles ones)

Comment

They all look pretty nice, it is hard to choose. It seems some are designed to be attached to the seatstays and some to a luggage rack. To be honest the ones from Ruff are designed that way to follow the seatstays so they would probably look best. Someone might wanna sell his, then you wouldn't have to deal with them. However you will probably find similar angled design from othe manufacturers. Why not check the web for used/vintage (motorcycle perhps) saddle bags? Also if you are going to be actually using the bags and don't want them just for looks I would choose the ones with the largest volume. So last pic is a no.

Comment

Beyond not willing to deal with Ruff, their prices are Stoopid. No matter what ones I go with, I will have to figure my own mounting as the chain stays are not like 99.9% of bikes. Shouldn't be too hard tho. I do plan on using them and not just for looks, but I also don't want them to deep and stick out to catch on things as I'm riding. Had not searched for "vintage" motorcycle bags yet.... Will do that today. Thnx for idea toro

Comment

Ordered my saddlebags. Found a set that is perfect size (13"wide x 11"tall x 4" deep). Just the size i was hoping for. Only need a few emergency tools and very minor storage. Will allow me to take small amounts to and fro, but not going to do a full 2 week grocery shop on it. I like the look as much as I do the size. After Toro mentioned to look at vintage motorcycle bags, it was one of the 1st search results. I made a mock up out of cardboard to asses placement/ fit on the bike. Not only will it fit perfectly in the space I wanted, but it will cover the "diamond" shaped bracket I made for the rear Hub brake arm, as well as most of the brake/ shift cable that could not be internally routed at the rear(couldnt have planned it that well!) They have that "vintage distressed" look, but they are brand new and only set me back $55! MUCH better than $700 ones from Ruff IMO. So here is my fri/ sat punch list of stuff to get done:
                              1) Remove front and rear fenders, sand and re-paint as needed, re-install
                              2) Install chain tensioner system and test
                              3) Swap out turn/light/ horn switch and test
                              4) Test cutoff feature via phone app
                              5) Install decals and do trim work
                              6) Test/ adjust/ tighten all screws/ mounts on bike
                              The saddlebags will not be in until 7/29-8/4 so wont be able to "wrap it up" quite yet. But, with the chain skip resolved(please God let it be so), I will finally get to see if I need to change to a more powerful controller. Those are all I can think of before saying "project complete" and move on to the next project, which is turning a Fedex step van into a mobile work shop/ rv. As much as I love this bike and enjoyed the experience of this build, the fedex project has me excited. I will throw up a link on this thread to its build page for any of you interested. The step van will have 5K watt of solar panels, 840ah of batteries, 3k watt inverter, Generator, hot water heater, furnace, AC, Full mini kitchen, and sleeping quarters. The RV part will be the front 2/3 of truck, the rear 1/3 will be a "garage" for this bike and all my tools for work. I already have 90% of the parts for it waiting for the bike to be finished.

Comment

I like the ones you chose. But I love brown leather, I am so easy to please :)
                                About the chain skipping - have you looked at your wheel position after the chain skips? Is the wheel still centered in the frame or has the chain pulled it to the side?
                                I guess that:
                                1) the motor is too strong and the chain pulls on the rear cog with so much torque that the wheel moves in the dropouts (like on a car the tires would spin, but you are too heavy for them to spin or for the bike to move, the IGH is too strong to break, so the next weakest spot in the system is the achsle in the dropouts - right achsle side gets pulled by the chain forward), then the chain is not tensioned anymore (it becomes practically too long) and skipps. Or
                                2) is it that you can't properly tension the chain in the first place?
                                If it is 1) your problem might be easily solved with dropout chain tensioners in combination with a hlaf-link cahin (which gives you the possibility to remove only on chain link at a time instead of two like with a regualr chain - perfectly compatible with regular chainring and rear cog, nothing exotic). If it is 2) you should be able to tension the chain per hand enough so it doesn't skip. And..
                                3) I know it is a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway - are you sure you got the correct chain - single chainring and rearcog should use 1/2-1/8 chain, which is used for cruisers (SS and IGH drivetrain) and not for a multi-speed cassettes (which is thinner and might not lie nicely on the wider cog/chainring teeth)?
                                Another option to get the chain length correct would be to play a bit with different rear cogs - a tooth more or less. I know it could be very unnerving procedure, but once you've done it 10 times you can probably do it blindfolded.

Comment

Working...
                                X