Ruff Porucho / BBSHD build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruff Porucho / BBSHD build

Guess it's my turn to start a build thread. I'd been planning on plotting this build for quite a while. Some things looked OK on paper but reality was a bit different.

The plan:
    Ruff Porucho frame.
    Dual springer fork.
    3" wide tires.
    BBSHD (from my old bike)
    Sturmey-Archer IGH with drum brake in the rear, S-A drum brake in front as well.
    Low saddle.
    Swept back handlebars for a fairly upright riding position.

Ruff ran a "winter build" promotion with 30% off frames and components. You had to buy from a subset of components to get everything at 30% off. I got the frame, tires, chain, pedals, rim tape, hand grips and saddle for about the price of the frame normally. I was pleased that I ordered from Ruff on a Friday and the whole bit was delivered the following Friday.

Things I found out soon after:
    --The Sturmey Archer hubs that I really wanted are 36 hole. Finding 36 hole rims in the 65mm width I wanted was extremely difficult. Had I known this I would have ordered them from Ruff as well, had them quick and at a price comparable to what I ended up with from the US.
    -- Ended up getting 80mm rims. They are wider than I would prefer, but they worked out. I was worried about the wheel/tire combo not fitting in the fork and wouldn't want to delay things, so after finding a 65mm rim I ordered one to have on hand if the built wheel didn't fit.

Had the LBS build my wheels with the hubs I wanted, heavy duty spokes and the 80mm rims.
    2019-03-16 12.48.56.jpg
    2019-03-16 12.49.17.jpg
    Next gotcha was the "Sunlite Deluxe Dual Springer Fork" I got from Amazon. It seems to want to live on a bike with a 12" head tube. There was no way to make it fit and not look stupid. I was confused since others have put this fork on this frame. I looked at photos online and saw that the ones that fit had springs with about 14 coils. Mine had 21. Checked Amazon and found they had forks from 2 different venders with the same identical descriptions. But, the one I didn't buy shows 14 coils in the photos, the one I did buy showed 21. So, now the other fork is on order.

Photo shows that the upper end of the spring bracket was WAY higher than the top of the frame. Bike shop guy just shoved spacers in-between, then added a bunch more above for good measure.

Last big surprise this weekend was the effect of having a forward bottom bracket on the reach from the seat. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. When the seat was installed and dropped all the way down I barely could reach the pedals with my toes at full extension. Oops. So, along with a new fork I've got shorter crank arms on order.

With all the parts sorted, I think, I'm starting the build with what I have. I have enough together to run cables and start the electrical work.

Overall photo of the status today:

Attached Files
    Last edited by idearat; 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM. Reason: fix photo

Details and things learned only after starting:

The Porucho frame has 2 options for the rear wheel install. I told the bike shop to use the lower dropout to raise the frame but he ignored me and showed me the with the bike with the pedals scraping the ground with it tilted just a few degrees. That's when I took it home and put the wheel where I wanted. The pedals are now a more comfortable distance from the ground. This also gives ample room for the drum brake hardware. I'll need to attach the torque arm with a fabricated piece since the rear plate isn't the standard chainstay that the included bracket is supposed to fit. Not a big deal.

Back to the long frame, the rear brake cable is barely long enough to reach from the handlebars to the rear hub. While it will reach, it's only by going a straight line, not routing along the frame. So a tandem cable and pinch nut are on order to re-do the brake cable in a manner that can be routed properly.

To deal with the leg extension problem, possible pedals hitting the ground or the front tire I've ordered shorter crank arms. The prices weren't outrageous, I have 3 sets on order so I can find the best one. They're actually made for unicycles where I guess variety in crank arms is a bigger deal than with bikes.

Back to the front tire thing. Reading a thread on RadRodBikes about a guy building on a Basman frame he mentions on its first ride that his feet hit the front wheel. That's something I hadn't thought to check, so I ran right out. Sure enough, there's only a finger's width between the pedals and the front tire when they converge at their closest. So, those shorter crank arms are looking more like a good idea.

Comment

Last post for now. And since this an electric bike forum, the motor. This went very well. The location of the BB on the frame is out in the open with excellent clearance. It's 63mm wide so the BBSHD from my previous bike slides right in. No BB adapters needed. When installed normally it snugs up high, it's not the lowest part of the frame. I liked that but I wanted it in tighter, so I tried rotating into the frame. It almost fit. I ended up cutting off one other location for the mounting screws attaches to in order to get it in. I'll get a photo of that later.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	84451
      With the motor upside down now I'll need to come up with a way to tidy up the wiring. I do like not having all of it at the lowest part of the bike though.

The chain line is great. I even have the options to move it in or out a little if need be. When I moved over the motor I had the mighty mini 30t chainring installed and it's just fine, No need for a deeply offset ring, so I can switch to another size if I want to fiddle with the gearing some. I also have the extremely long chain to help out with alignment (the chain is almost 6 ft long ) I put a spacer in between the chainring and the motor to let me use the slightly wider single-speed chain rather than the 8-speed one from the previous bike.

The frame also gives ample room for batteries. One plan is to build a box behind the seatpost, curving to match the wheel, and put the batter inside. I'll have plenty of room for really whatever battery I want in there, along with a place to stash electronics and wires. For a lighter weight option I have a Luna mighty mini battery as well It's small enough that I'm looking to have it next to the motor in a small enclosure that is almost covered by your feet while riding.

Name:	2019-02-14 13.37.37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	84450
      One crazy thought I had was to mount the bottle battery there, but disguised as a fire extinguisher.

Comment

FINALLY!! Just kidding IdeaRat. Glad to see your progress, and that I am not the only one having those trials and tribulations moments on their build. It is looking sweet. Is there a reason you are not going with a "tank" to hide the battery and electronics? I like the Porucho's out there with the tanks. Obviously a personal choice tho. They just remind me of the old greaser motorcycles when they have tanks. The tank for my Bassman frame is about 6-7lbs, but the way I have seen the "tanks" on your frame would be much lighter. I "Quote" the tank for the Porucho as it is not a fully enclosed sealed tank like mine, but more of a panel for each side that mounts between the two top tubes leaving an empty area inside. Should be large enough for a battery and some electronics. Either way just an observation. Like what I see so far, and will keep checking in case there is something I want to steal.......I mean borrow for my build. After all I did switch up a few details on mine after thinking on the logic behind your build ideas. Cant wait to see both your and my bike completed as I dont see a lot of these style bikes motorized. I did get some awesome news, but will PM that to you, thinking I may have a way to pay you back for all the help and insight.

Comment

Pic of a Porucho frame with "tank"

Comment

I may end up with a tank, but likely for lightweight storage or electronics. My thinking is to have the battery in the what was the oil tank, between the seat post and the rear wheel. Functionally that puts the weight down low where it ought to be. The fuel tank in a gas bike would go up high for gravity help supply the fuel. While I like the idea of retro looks, I have an issue with form over function. One of the things I liked about the Porucho is the space aft of the seat tube, even though now it's made it hard for my feet to reach the pedals. I may have another solution for that though, thanks to a builder in France who came up with an elegant way of mounting the motor. It might also be a way to put in different motors in the future, like a Bafang Ultra.

Name:	45121372975_b78b8d7e9f_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	84554

Comment

Not my bike in the photo, just one I snagged somewhere to show behind-the-seat-tube tank. It seems a bit on the large size, closer to the tire than I think I'd want, though it does seem like it could serve as the fender up to the point it ends.

Comment

One of the things I discovered when building a bike on the Porucho frame was that my legs aren't long enough to comfortably pedal with the 170mm crank arms on the BBSHD. Looking for alternatives I found that there were Unicycle crank arms in a wide range of sizes. Not sure what I really wanted I got 3 sizes. They did fit just fine. The only difference I noticed that was that the angle of the square taper was different than the Bafang ones. Not an issue as long as you don't mix and match. I just did a test fit, I'll wait till I can pedal down the road to decide which is best, but probably the 150mm will be OK.

2019-03-27 19.55.03.jpg2019-03-27 19.55.26.jpg

Comment

Hi there ieadrat... am just in the process of planning the same bike but wit a BBS02 to keep it street legal here in Switzerland.
                  I have a question regarding your BB.
                  As far as I understand the BBSxx fits into a JIS/BSA bottom bracket which is 33.8mm internal diameter.
                  The Porucho has a BMX BB at 51mm internal diameter as far as I understand?
                  How did you get your BBSHD to fit without an adapter?
                  Thanks for any info.

G

Comment

I was sure I needed an adapter, only to be surprised when I didn't. Just now I looked up the specs for the frame and I finally understand. The aluminum and the steel versions of the frame have different bottom bracket sizes. The steel is shown with a BMX bracket, the aluminum with a BSA style. I got the aluminum when it was on sale and didn't re-read the specs to see the difference. As far as the Porucho 4.0, that seems to be the only spec that changes when you go between steel and aluminum.

Comment

Ah, I'm very happy that I asked you then....
                      That is also what I understood... I guess also that there is a benefit in loosing 4kg off the weight...

Oh and by the way your photos seem to have lost their links...
                      Would love to see more photos...

Tahnks

G
                      Last edited by Carrotious; 04-01-2019, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrotious View Post
                        Ah, I'm very happy that I asked you then....
                        That is also what I understood... I guess also that there is a benefit in loosing 4kg off the weight...

Oh and by the way your photos seem to have lost their links...
                        Would love to see more photos...

Tahnks

G
                        Hmm. I see the photos still. There aren't many yet.

I am glad I got the aluminum. Once I added the wheels with their heavy hubs the bike is putting on weight quickly

Comment

The pics on your first post in this thread show broken for me as well.

Comment

I tried re-loading a photo showing the fork with the 21 loop springs that was too big for the frame.

Comment

Yup that fork photo now works

Comment

Working...
                              X