Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Open Source Bafang Configurator (And More)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Open Source Bafang Configurator (And More)

Hello,
    I have started new project, whose goal to make open configuration&diagnostics tool for as much motor brands as possible.
    Currently my program supports only bafangs with uart, such as BBS01, BBS02, BBSHD, but also I'm working on Yamaha and plan to add more brands (Bafang with CAN, Brose) later. Here you can see code and here you can download executables for Windows and Linux.

This version of program is Alpha, so I need your feedback about your experience with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	изображение.png
Views:	316
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	166385

That's awesome, nice job man.

Comment

Looking at your screenshot, I only see one issue so far. "Wheel Diameter" is pretty much a useless metric. You could try to combine it with "Tire size" - but still, it's a ballpark guess at best. I think you would be much better to ask for 'Tire Circumference' - that can be easily and precisely measured for any wheel/tire combo and gives you a much more accurate value. From there, you can count RPMs for speed, gearing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by K442 View Post
        Looking at your screenshot, I only see one issue so far. "Wheel Diameter" is pretty much a useless metric. You could try to combine it with "Tire size" - but still, it's a ballpark guess at best. I think you would be much better to ask for 'Tire Circumference' - that can be easily and precisely measured for any wheel/tire combo and gives you a much more accurate value. From there, you can count RPMs for speed, gearing, etc.
        Unfortunately, bafang motors support wheel parameter only in inches of diameter with half-of-inch precision on firmware level - I can make input as circumference and automatical conversion to format, supported by motor, but it will not be more accurately than now

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
          That's awesome, nice job man.
          Thank you.

How can I ask LunaCycle for collaboration? Program can be useful for LunaCycle since main products of LunaCycle (any BBS02, BBSHD based devices) are already supported, and other (M600 based devices, as well as any new Bafang motors) will be supported later. I plan to update program and add new features, so program will become better with feedback from users, but I need help from LunaCycle to make program popular

Comment

What kind of help?

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
              What kind of help?
              I need help with tests, because I have not too much hardware for testing. It would be good if LunaCycle will test my program and send feedback. After all tests, when program will be in Stable (currently its Alpha), we can recommend program to users, so it would be good if LunaCycle will post some article about OpenBafangTool in blog or in manual. Currently official LunaCycle manual recommends branded version of Stefan Penoff's configurator, that is good, but pretty old one - according to google drive notes, file was uploaded in 2017, so its a possibility to replace old program with modern one, with support of all platforms (windows, linux, macos) and updates with new functions according to feedback from users. I have plans to support more motor brands to make it standard for independent workshops like VCDS for cars
              Last edited by AndreyPr; 02-21-2024, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Can you send the macOS version to tony@lunacycle.com I will test it out and share it with the rest of the Luna crew as well. Far as I know the only problem with Penoff version is it’s only windows not supporting macOS or Linux but we’re willing to try and test your program if you want.
                Last edited by intramorph; 02-22-2024, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intramorph View Post
                  Can you send the macOS version to tony@lunacycle.com I will test it out and share it with the rest of the Luna crew as well. Far as I know the only problem with Penoff version is it’s only windows not supporting macOS or Linux but we’re willing to try and test your program if you want.
                  Sorry, currently I have no macos executable because I have to mac to build it, but sources are theoretically buildable for mac. I'll search for way how to build executable without mac device

​​​
                  Last edited by AndreyPr; 02-23-2024, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• AZguy
                    AZguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've installed several versions of MacOS onto VMware virtual machines and it was very straightforward

I'll work on it and contact you when executable for mac will be ready

Comment

Maybe you can add the "torque" tab for bafang uart motor? I use this on my M420 Uart motor to check the working of the torque axle by selecting "continious get". By turning the crank (without force) the values shoud change except for the torque field which should stay the same. Then with rear wheel on the ground and brakes applied, i put some slight force on the crank and then the torque value should change and afterwards should go down to the same start value around 750 mV. So for me it's a first quick way to check the behavior of the torque axle before disassembling it or changing the controller in case of torque problems.

I don't know if that "torque tab" is also ment for a M420 UART so i only use this for the test of the torque sensor and i do NOT use it to alter any setting for the UART M420! I try to keep focus to not accidentally click the "rocket" :) Maybe you can add a button "enable write" and then the rocket button becomes active because i can imaging some people not reading the manual to know what the rocket symbol means.

Comment

Hello. I sent email with link to files on your email. Please note, that this files have no digital signature, so it can be marked by antivirus as "potentially dangerous" - its a common problem for open-source and some proprietary software, for example this problem exists on LibreOffice for windows (at least on old versions) and on proprietary Brose diagnostic tool
                      Last edited by AndreyPr; 02-25-2024, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPC18RI View Post
                        Maybe you can add the "torque" tab for bafang uart motor? I use this on my M420 Uart motor to check the working of the torque axle by selecting "continious get". By turning the crank (without force) the values shoud change except for the torque field which should stay the same. Then with rear wheel on the ground and brakes applied, i put some slight force on the crank and then the torque value should change and afterwards should go down to the same start value around 750 mV. So for me it's a first quick way to check the behavior of the torque axle before disassembling it or changing the controller in case of torque problems.

I don't know if that "torque tab" is also ment for a M420 UART​ so i only use this for the test of the torque sensor and i do NOT use it to alter any setting for the UART M420! I try to keep focus to not accidentally click the "rocket" :) Maybe you can add a button "enable write" and then the rocket button becomes active because i can imaging some people not reading the manual to know what the rocket symbol means.
                        Unfortunatelly, currently I have no information how to work with torque sensor on bafangs and torque sensor is not supported in OpenBafangTool. I'll try to add support later.
                        Also, I'll change behaviour of write button in next version
                        ​​​​
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Today i checked your program with an old Bafang BBS01 connected to a lab power supply. After selecting com port etc. it automatically reads the controller data. I'ts a 36 volt 250W motor with max 15A controller. The field "Power specification code" showed BBS01_CG48V750W? Which i interpret as 48V and 750 watt ?
                          However in the settings the values are correct at "electric parameters" Voltage 36V and max current 15A. I changed some values and send them to the motor at which the program gave a few very short succes write messages. Then i switched off the power supply and then on again to read the changed values and all was ok.

So i just wonder about the field "Power specification code" as mentioned above. Also i wonder if the program needs a disconnect button? So the data connection can be terminated before pulling the battery out? Or do we need to click the back button and maybe that way the program terminates the connection with controller?

Comment

Originally posted by DPC18RI View Post
                            Today i checked your program with an old Bafang BBS01 connected to a lab power supply. After selecting com port etc. it automatically reads the controller data. I'ts a 36 volt 250W motor with max 15A controller. The field "Power specification code" showed BBS01_CG48V750W? Which i interpret as 48V and 750 watt ?
                            However in the settings the values are correct at "electric parameters" Voltage 36V and max current 15A. I changed some values and send them to the motor at which the program gave a few very short succes write messages. Then i switched off the power supply and then on again to read the changed values and all was ok.

So i just wonder about the field "Power specification code" as mentioned above. Also i wonder if the program needs a disconnect button? So the data connection can be terminated before pulling the battery out? Or do we need to click the back button and maybe that way the program terminates the connection with controller?
                            "Power specification code" is parameter that I got from code of original BESST, and it was switched off in code and I actually don't know meaning of it exactly. Maybe, I should remove it from program.

Program does not need disconnect button, just physically unplug your device

Comment

Working...
                            X