Can change Limited Current(A) above 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can change Limited Current(A) above 28

I've seen this asked a few times but haven't seen an answer. I updated my settings to Karl's Secret Sauce but I can't get the Limited Current(A) to go above 28. I get a message that says something along the lines of "outside of parameters."

Also in a perhaps(?) related question this unit comes up as a BBS03. From everything I've seen on-line they are the same as the BBSHD but if that's the case why the name change?

Thanks,

Bob

Who did you purchase the motor from?

Different suppliers provide units with different firmware and the 28V limit isn't uncommon. There are others with 30A limit but only work properly with 48V 13s (vs. 52V 14s) batteries. then there are others that have 30A limit and work with either 48V or 52V...

Comment

Utah Trikes, not sure where they get them. It came setup very cold, for example, 24v. Glad I checked it.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've read that can be changed through firmware. Also looks to be graduate level work so I think I'll put that off until this winter. Hate to end up with a paper weight during the riding season.

I also wonder how much I'd notice a change to 30 from 28. I do know the change from 24 to 28 gives me much better hill climbing ability.

Comment

Originally posted by rjfoy View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've read that can be changed through firmware. Also looks to be graduate level work so I think I'll put that off until this winter. Hate to end up with a paper weight during the riding season.

I also wonder how much I'd notice a change to 30 from 28. I do know the change from 24 to 28 gives me much better hill climbing ability.
          Yes different firmware is out there, and yes, there's some risk of bricking the controller... unfortunately there's no way to make a copy of the firmware that's in the unit to enable going back to square one

30 to 28 is less than 7% so not terribly significant and it really depends on the battery - having a 52V already gives you more than 7% (why they lowered the limit) so if you are running 52V it's sort of a wash compared to 48V... in the end it also depends a lot on the batteries ability to handle that kind of current... I've got some well used 13s4p's that just sag way too quickly at even 20A so it's sort of moot... I've got a much fresher 14s4p that can handle it but I still don't recommend it for any length of time... I've also got a 14s8p that will handle it for extended periods but then you have to question whether you want to hammer the motor that hard (not advisable IMO).. personally while it's nice to have the 28-30A "headroom" for anything remotely continuous I wouldn't go much more than half that and only if keeping the RPM's good'n hi...

Comment

That puts it into a little more perspective - thanks. I'm running a 52V with a 30T ring chain that I had a chance to shake out on some real good hills yesterday and it performed well. I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Comment

Do you know the cell configuration, in particular since we know it's 14s how many are parallel? With just the Ah rating we could make an educated guess..

Comment

I'm running a 48V-17AH and a 52V-13AH. One will usually get me where I need to go but there's not much battery left so the second one gets me the piece of mind knowing I've got plenty for the day.

Comment

The 52V is almost certainly 14s4p, the 48 likely 13s6p and will be able to support higher currents (~50% more) but since it's a lower voltage battery the power isn't as much, maybe a bit shy of 40% more when in the upper half of the charge and less when lower

If you weigh them and you know the voltage you can likely figure out the exact cell configuration too - that's what I did with a large battery that was gifted to me

Comment

Working...
                  X