Starting to program your BBSHD, or BBS02 for the first time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to program your BBSHD, or BBS02 for the first time

First step, on a Windows computer, download a copy of the software. You can find it several places, but I've included Luna's version of the software, here, LunaBafangConfigTool (2).zip in a zip file. This version automatically assigns the port and doesn't require a lot of configuration. Call me prejudice, but I like this version the best. I've loaded my Limitless profile in the profiles folder for anyone to try, so they can use PAS without the cadence limits that makes it feel so artificially restrictive. Instead of feeling fake, it feels fun!
    Second step, read Karls notes and the complete help file that comes with this, or if you aren't using this version, just read the complete help file.
    Third step, resist the urge to read all 14 pages of this thread, https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...hd-programming . It will make your brains explode. Or something. Instead let's do something constructive. Open up that software by clicking on the file named "Bafang_Programmer".
    Fourth step, load one of the profiles that came with the software. First look at the picture above. You should have that software running on your computer, showing the same screen. Then click on the "File" menu and select "Load". Then select one of the profiles listed. All the values in the boxes should change to the new values of the new profile, (I like to think of them as "Tunes", like in Tuning a car).
    Fifth step, changing the tune, or profile, to better suit your needs. Start by loading a known good tune, or profile that you have tested on your bike and you know works. then research the help file to determine how to make the change you want to make, i.e.reducing power or speed levels, lowering response times, and changing wheels sizes for a more accurate speedometer.
    I have a new tune, or profile I've been working on for awhile. I like to call it Limitless, because there are no speed limits in the PAS settings. This seems to feel more natural when I'm riding my bike. I can dial in just enough assistance to keep my speed up, yet using as much pedal power as I want to extend the battery life. Of course the tune, or profile isn't street legal in all 50 States because it isn't limited, but that can be easily fixed by lowering the speed limit in the display to the desired speed limit. Here it is for your review, let the "Flame Wars of Opinion" begin! Limitless.zip
    Sixth step, actually changing the programming on your bike.
    First, get everything ready and within reach. You'll want to have your Windows(tm) laptop, the programming cable, your E-Bike, and the battery close by and within reach. Do not install, or connect the E-Bike battery yet!
    Second, unplug the green connector between the display and the wiring harness on your bike.
    Third, plug in and/or connect the battery on your E-Bike.
    Fourth, plug the programming cable into the connection on the wiring harness that the display was plugged into, making sure to align the key/notch before seating the connector. This actually turns on your bike, so don't bump the pedals or throttle, because it could take off!
    Fifth, plug the USB end of the programming cable into the Windows(tm) laptop, then run the Bafang programming tool, if it pops up the usual Windows(tm) security warning, just run it anyway. The version I posted above automatically assigns a port, so you shouldn't need to mess with manually assigning port values.
    Sixth, click on the "Connect" button to connect the software, through the programming cable, to the Bafang controller in the motor. Now the software should populate the "Controller Info" section with "Manufacturer, Model, Versions" and etc.If these fields are still empty, that means you still haven't connected to the controller. Contact support@lunacycle.com for more in-depth troubleshooting to resolve this.
    Seventh, click on "File", then "Load", and choose a "Profile", or "Tune", as I call it, to load into your Bafang controller. You should see the settings change when you select a new "Profile" to load. If this profile, or tune is ready to use, click on "Write Flash" to load it into the controller. After a few seconds, you should see an acknowledgement that the write succeeded.
    Eighth, click "Disconnect" in the software, and close the program with the "X" in the top right corner. Then unplug the USB end of the programming cable, and then the wiring harness end. Finally, plug in the display connector to the wiring harness connection, turn on, and try out your new configuration.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jasdidit; 2 weeks ago. Reason: I consolidated all the steps into one post

It should come up to a screen that looks like this.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Luna Bafang config tool.png Views:	1 Size:	141.0 KB ID:	39736

Last edited by Jasdidit; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Jasdidit I have update that version with some bug fixes, here.

Comment

• Jasdidit
        Jasdidit commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for posting this. it's always good to have the newest version with all the bugs fixed. Now, this "Joel3.1" profile bugs me. My name is Joel, and I wouldn't use that profile for my bike. Not with what I know now. I think PAS speed limits feel arbitrary and wrong. I'm working on a new profile I like to call "Limitless". The speed limit is as high as it can go, all PAS settings are only limited by current, not speed. The work mode is set to "Undeterminated". PAS ramp up is slow, Power ramp ups start at 1%, to prevent shocking the clutch, freewheel, and drive train. I'll attach that profile to my next post for anyone to examine and use.

• M 2.0
        M 2.0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jasdidit In regards to the Joel3.1 profile, the is what a buddy of mine set his bike for after 3 days of rides and changes. One thing I have found is everybody has there own style for a bike and profile settings. I have build 9 e-bike and fix many more for people and everyone one of them are unique to that person. Feel free to remove that profile if it is not to your liking and I update the zip file with it removed. Thank you for your opinion.

Originally posted by M 2.0 View Post
      Jasdidit I have update that version with some bug fixes, here.
      Does the source rely heavily on Windows specific dlls for internal functionality, or just the GUI stuff?

If it's not too tied-up internally it might be worth a look-see about an Mac OS port. I would have some serious rust on XCode work to knock off, but have some ability with a keyboard.

Comment

• M 2.0
        M 2.0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Enkii It is developed in Delphi. If you want to try you might be able to recompile it in Mac OS. Since I do not have a Mac I was unable to try. PM me if you want to discuss.

• Jasdidit
        Jasdidit commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be awesome if you could port it to mac.

• Enkii
        Enkii commented
        Editing a comment
        Zoiks! I haven't touched Pascal since 1983, lol. And its not looking like there is anything like a one or even two step port process, the list of typically used frameworks and conversions is long and distinguished, several done on the Windows side before even getting close enough to jump to Mac. Admittedly that's a only half hour of investigation, but other than "code" being involved, everything totally misses an overlap with me. And there were more than one ~rewrite it from scratch~ comments to other folks asking about porting Delphi developed apps to Mac OS native.

That sucks but it doesn't look like a side project that will finish any faster then Dwarf Fortress will if I pick it up. Off to configure a VM to see if I can eventually go that route with the Win software, sorry if I got anyones hopes up unnecessarily.

This stuff run on WinXP? Never seems to be addressed but I still keep an old XP lappy for Infineon controllers and a few other things so if Bafang software runs on XP and able to find drivers, I'd love to give this a go.

Comment

• theronchaplin
        theronchaplin commented
        Editing a comment
        Or a tablet? That's what I'm waiting for. I know, my beard will be 3 feet longer by then...

• MichaelT
        MichaelT commented
        Editing a comment
        "Sucks that nobody ever converted the program to run on a MacBook."
        Run WINE on MB for EXE's....

"Or a tablet? That's what I'm waiting for. I know, my beard will be 3 feet longer by then"
        ACER SWITCH 10, 4GB Ram / 64GB ROM (I partitioned it to a C: and D:)... Is what I have.
        https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...es/switchone10

• cajk
        cajk commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, MichaelT, for that tip! I went and looked at the process involved in loading and setting up Wine (https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/). I'm afraid that is WAY above my "computer skills comfort level". I like to keep my computer stuff simple and easy to understand - "point & click". In MY case, it will be safer to simply buy another cheap used Windows laptop.

I installed Linux Mint / wine on and Asus laptop, to see what Linux is like compared to Windoze. I got the software to load, but could not figure out what "port" the programming cable was on. Having zero knowledge of Linux, I gave up and brought both bikes in the house to reprogram my BBSHDs. Good thing the bikes were clean (new), and yard was dry. :)

Comment

Don't know if this is the place to post this or not. Haven't programmed before. I had a hot rod programmed BBSHD. PAS 0 100% throttle. It was a variable almost linear throttle from the start. Mostly used that as a PAS depending on what crank gear I was using. Was going to lower PAS strength. Never did but it needed it. Now I have a ludicrous, and it must have come with stock programming. PAS 0, no throttle . PAS 1, throttle only to the level of current at that PAS. And so on up to PAS 9. If you want any decent throttle you have to leave it in a higher PAS level. And throttle is no way as linear as BBSHD program. It sometimes starts a little at the beginning, then a dead spot, then throttle near full throttle area. I think I can get a little less than full throttle engagement, just before I hit full throttle. Not used to running high level of PAS. Run in PAS 0. get rudely reminded every time I touch the pedals. I need to program this to full ludicrous mode. And I would definitely like a variable throttle to 100% in PAS 0. Never have programmed. Read the post above. Think I can do it, but have no clue as what to program for Ludicrous mode. Is that one of the options in the above program? Thanks in advance for any help given.

Comment

IMHO, "programing" Bafang controllers a misnomer and excessively techie. I think people would be more comfortable with the phrase "changing settings", as that is what we are doing. People who create software are programmers.

I am a throttle only rider, PAS set to 0. Here is a screen capture of the settings I use to get a smooth variable throttle.

The first requirement to changing the settings is to get a special cable that plugs in to computer and Bafang harness from your favorite Bafang retailer. Then download the software from the link in the first post of this thread.

After downloading the software, click file, then load, that will bring up a selection of profiles. I figured out it is possible to have multiple instances of the software running, so I can view settings in my controller, and compare settings in a different profile. I allow one instance of the program to connect to the controller, and leave the other one disconnected. I've had up to 4 instances of the software running at the same time.

For peeps having issues getting their computer to recognize the cable, here is a link from cajk for drivers to fix the issue.

Comment

Working...
          X