Noob needs wisdom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob needs wisdom

Hi all. Just finished a BBSHD build on my Burley Django recumbent. I'm using a 21 AH, 48v pack. I ride rail trails almost exclusively. HI speeds and hills are not in the plan. Long battery duration IS in the plan. We are looking at 12-13 mph most of the time. I am aware of the various .el files from various sources, and am currently using the LUNA setup that was shipped from them. I understand that limiting speeds in the PAS setup can actually waste power. So, my initial inclination is to use 100% for my speed limits, and a steady progression of current from let's say 20 to 100 over the 9 assist levels. I'm also thinking about dropping the throttle start from the stock 10 down to 6 to give me a softer throttle start. Very vigorous at 10. Any help is most appreciated. BTW.... the folks at Luna have been great in helping me, but it's time to quit badgering them, and get out here in the forum for further education. So far, my bent build is the bomb.

12-13mph - how do you go that slow? ;) On my BBSHD build, to go at those speeds I'd be in assist 1 and fairly low gears, and on a slight uphill... On flats, even with very low assist my bike will roll faster...

Which throttle type do you have? I have the left thumb throttle and I find it difficult to maintain a constant amperage with it. Cruise control or twist throttle I am guessing would work better than the thumb type throttles for maintaining near constant or current speed easily.

Comment

In programming, set to current not speed and use the Luna full twist throttle. Start throttle at 5. End voltage 42. I walk the dog at 6.8 mph, 5.5 uphill and 10 downhill. Not possible without these changes.

Comment

Download the software in the top post and look in the profiles folder for the "Limitless profile. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...the-first-time . That will do everything you are asking for.

Comment

I'm with you rmwac, I like slow and steady. I changed my BBSHD to an alternate premade .el file. If I remember correctly, it the 18amp Smooth Throttle profile. It's been plenty for me and my riding style. Here is a link to the various posted profiles. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fcen6yukx...mparisons.xlsx

Comment

How has this profile affected your battery duration?? I'm going to load this profile and give it a try.!!! Thnx

Comment

Is it safe to run the BBSHD at 18 amp setting? The "hacker" article sez that the BBSHD must be run at 30 amps.

Comment

I don't know if it extends the battery life or not since I was never hitting the throttle hard. I'm happy with what I'm getting out of my 13.5ah battery. We did a 30 mile rail trail last weekend and used less than half my battery. And yes, it's safe to reduce the current amps. It's just limiting the amount of power going to the motor. I've had no issues and I've been running it for a year.

Comment

You can leave the setting at 30 amps. By using low current in PAS, that will provide you with slower speeds and less amps used. And you will still have the full 30 available for your use if wanted.

Comment

Working...
                  X