No announcement yet.

Throttle and pedaling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary (Paxtana), Eric, what makes your BBSHD do this wonderful thing and the generic won't? Ben, try the ask a question and get an answer in 30 min and point to this thread.

Comment

I think I'll have to return the two controllers (one as a spare) I bought, because they're not what was advertised, and are not brand new, but look like they've been removed from complete bbshd's! They still have white silicon on the 6 way plug (you can see It's been cut with a blade), and are scratched where the bolts were fastened.

Since there's been no response here on the forum, I've opened a"Trouble ticket" on the Luna site.

A major bummer, 'cause I spent a few hours refitting all the wiring just how I wanted it on the bike! Return postage is probably gonna be expensive too! :(

Even the old hub drive bikes I've built up have "throttle override", so I don't understand why Bafang would even consider having "PAS override" in their controllers, it's horrible!

It seems the only way around it, which I don't really want to do, is to disconnect the PAS connector, to disable it, as Karl has suggested.
      Last edited by BenS; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Where did you read Karl's suggestion? I a guessing opening up the controller and undue the black connector? I wonder if there is a way of doing it from the outside.

I would think your controllers are new, just taken off when one orders a bike with a ludicrous.

Comment

Here's Karl's blog, you pull the grey wire from the black plug to disconnect PAS. He's a legend, his blogs have been a huge help! https://electricbike-blog.com/bbs02-.../#comment-7406

I wish we could flash the actual firmware with our preferred settings, or better still, be able to choose between throttle or PAS override in the user programmable settings!!!

Yeah, they're new, just not "Brand new" as in "never used or fitted". I thought that all of Luna's stock would have their preferred firmware settings on them, even if they've been removed and replaced with Ludicrous controllers. I'm thinking they might be old stock from before they started programming throttle override in the firmware. When connected to the Bafang programming tool, the actual firmware version number reads the same as my "Good" Luna controller (V0.0.1.1). The user programmable settings were all generic as well, not the typical Luna programmed settings.

Comment

I am sorry we didn't get an answer in the other thread about getting an answer. There has got to be something we can hit with a hammer. If this was my bike having the problem I would be more proactive. Can't believe it is just the two of us. This "feature" is really important for the kind of single track rock climbing we do every day. When his stalls out and he falls down I get a good laugh, so maybe I won't help. Can't find the right smilie for this.

Comment

Lol at your friend stalling it, I know the feeling! Not being able to control power with the throttle only also wastes a lot of battery power when it kicks in at full power!

Nah, that's ok, it was worth a go, and maybe something will come out of it. Yeah, it is strange that no-one else is chiming in. This issue might be something that they're unaware of, but it's disappointing when you receive something opposite to what was advertised. Hopefully it's a genuine mistake and can be easily resolved.

I ride motorbikes, so I might be ok with having just throttle, and disabling PAS completely. What I hate most about removing the controller, is having to remove the crank arm every time, because it's so tight, and loaded with loctite, I'm afraid of doing some damage like stripping the threads.

Comment

Well, I can confirm that the "Karl mod" works in the BBSHD. It was really bugging me, so I pulled the grey wire and put some heat shrink tube on it. No more PAS cutting in, and no more full jerk throttle!

In the Bafang programming tool, my settings under Basic are, Assist 1:Current Limit =1, Speed Limit =100. Because throttle(on throttle page) is set at 9 for "Designated assist level", I think that so long as Assist 9 on the Basic page is set to 100 in both columns, you'll get full current and motor speed for throttle. I also set "start current" to 1 on the throttle page, so that throttle has the softest/smoothest start possible.

Comment

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did a quick test ride with those settings(and grey PAS wire pulled), and It's working well. "Assist 1" has smooth throttle, full power available, and no PAS cutting in.

I received a reply to the trouble ticket from Gary at Luna, he said that all the Bafang bbshd controllers are like that now, and they have no control over it. It's a real shame that Bafang has made this change! So, it must just be the display firmware that they can get changes made on.

Here's the reply, "...that is how all Bafang BBSHD controllers work now, Bafang changed it at the factory level. It’s not something that can be modified using the configuration software, the controller changes with regard to hot rods settings we make are only to the configuration settings not the firmware, only Bafang has that capability to actually alter the firmware and it is out of our hands if they decide to make that sort of change."

Comment

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bhaaf, where did you buy your new controller from? That is the same problem we're experiencing.

• bhaaf
                  bhaaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lunacycle. If you bought yours from them you should talk to Joel. He knows the problem I had and yours sounds the same.

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok, thanks. I just bought replacements from Luna, expecting to have throtte override, but I've tried one and it has PAS override.

Try changing the settings in the controller. You can download the software from here, https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...hd-controllers .

Comment

• Jasdidit
                  Jasdidit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have you tried the Limitless profile? It doesn't use any of the pedal cadence and speed limiting settings, so it might work better. I'd like to try re-programming one of these new controllers. Don't put down that config tool yet. There are a couple more options to try before opening it up and removing the cadence sensor wire.

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, haven't tried that. I'll leave that for xcnick to try, to save me pulling it apart again to reconnect the grey PAS wire.

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just had a look at the Limitless settings, and my own settings were fairly similar to them, so I don't think they'll work either.

did some programming with no luck. Next time I get to it I will list all the things I tried. Headed up the Oregon coast, Scappose, Hood River, Crater Lake with just my bikes. It will be a week before I can get back to this. I certainly don't want to pull the grey wire yet. Thinking to set the number of pedal strokes to the highest so it doesn't cut out just changing which pedal is high. That seems to be the one that causes the best crashes. We should try just setting all 9 PAS to 0 instead of pulling the wire. Hate to do this, but if we can just add throttle for assist all would be good.

Comment

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If he just wants to change which pedal is high, tell him to pedal backwards instead of forwards! Have a good trip!

Don't quit using the Config Tool quite yet. Before you disconnect the Pedal Assist wire, try disabling PAS by changing the "Pedal Sensor Type:" to "None". That should disable PAS without removing any wires.

Comment

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tried that, and I don't think it worked, I think it displayed an error message. xcnick can give it a try to make sure.

My new BBSHD does it too! It Sucks!! Bafang may have shot themselves in the foot. Ruined a good product. We need a fix for this ERIC!

Comment

• BenS
                  BenS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ended up cutting the grey PAS wire and fitting an external switch, so that when I'm mountain biking I can turn PAS off.

None didn't work. However I got something akin to cutting the grey wire. No PAS, but pedaling does not interrupt the throttle. One can pedal to assist the throttle which is what I do anyways.

Basic: Assist 0 is 1 and 1. 1 to 8 is 0 and 9 is 100 and 100
                Pedal Assist: Designated Assist Level is 1 (probably any of the ones set to 0 would work.)
                Throttle: Designated Assist Level is 9

This still does not help Francesca who wants to use PAS. She just need to blip the throttle when stuck on a steep hill and then smoothly transition to PAS

Comment

While this works one has to remember to go down to 0 on the display each time you turn it on. So I changed it up.

Basic: Assist 0 to 7 is 1 and 1. 8 is 0 and 9 is 100 and 100
                  Pedal Assist: Designated Assist Level is 8 (because this is the only one set to 0.)
                  Throttle: Designated Assist Level is 9

Comment

Xcnick. Here is a screen shot of your first and second PAS changes on the basic tab.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	PAS-Throttle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	45164

Have you tried it with just one of the PAS levels changed to 0, and leaving the Designated Level to "By Display's Command"? Like this, for instance? Or, does it only stop interference if set to a designated PAS level?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PAS-Throttle2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	45165

That way, hopefully there is no interference with the PAS at level 1, the default level, and if PAS is required, simply bump the level up to 2. Could you try this out and let me know if it works. Hopefully then, the throttle will only be interfered with by pedaling when in levels 0, or 2-8, but by default, right after turning it on, at level 1 there should be no interference.

Comment

Working...
                    X