Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've run it both at 60% and 100%. I see the point of 60% but with my present PAS settings I prefer 100%.

60% backs the torque down to 60% of the PAS level max when you are at 100% of the PAS max speed. It's good if you want a more time in constant-power output (vs. constant-speed or constant-torque) and it smooths the transition between constant-torque and constant-speed.

My PAS torque settings are pretty low compared to what I see most folks using (as are my PAS speed settings). PAS 9 is 100/100 and 8 is 100/54 (torque/current) and as PAS goes down my torque drops off more quickly than others I've seen. Unless I'm on smooth hard surface (I'm off-road a lot) this keeps me in a constant-torque mode most of the time and I don't really need it dropping that much as I approach constant-speed. I understand why it might be nicer for some and at some point I may play with it more and wouldn't be at all surprised that I find a mix that makes good use of it.

YMMV...
    Last edited by AZguy; 06-09-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Jasdidit
      Jasdidit commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you post a pic of your PAS settings? I've got an open mind, and I'd like to try it your way.

• Sure, no problem... although you should understand the bike and that I lost a leg so this likely isn't the going to be close for most....

Last edited by AZguy; 1 day ago.

Comment

• AZguy
      AZguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Since I wasn't ever (ever, ever! ;-} ) using PAS 0, I tried setting it to 100, 100 and the "designated assist level" to "by display's command" so if I wanted to use the throttle only it would be limited by the PAS level and to get to the full power for the throttle I could either go all the way up to 9 or all the way down to 0 - whichever is closest. I've since gone back to the "designated assist level" to "9" and PAS 0 is back to 1 and 1.

• New Mariner
      New Mariner commented
      Editing a comment
      What about that kickstand?

• AZguy
      AZguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Catch my post a few posts down (#200) ;-}

• My pass settings are quite a bit lower. I use the same settings on my Litespeed road/gravel/trail and fatbike.
    assist 0 0/0
    assist 1 7/100
    assist 2 14/100
    assist 3 21/100
    assist 4 28/100

Comment

• My eyes are blurry from reading so many threads / posts on programming.

I just figured out something that makes it VERY easy to compare profiles - launch multiple instances of the software and change profiles. I may do print screens of profiles then trim them down so I can set them side by side on the workbench.

Here is a pic of 4 profiles open on my 70" Vizio. Unfortunately I had to reduce file size so it would upload, will likely get grainy if zooming in. I had DefaultProfile,el, Limitless.el, Karls special.el and Kepler.el all open at the same time. I had to stack them to get all 4 to fit but can still see all the settings.
      Last edited by FattysEBikes; 08-11-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• The kickstand was at a LBS so it was easy enough to see if it would fit. It is the Greenfield "Stabilizer" model SKS2B (see http://greenfieldny.com/chart_bicycle.htm#retro). It was inexpensive (<$20) and fit perfectly. They do have a longer one that might be good insurance if ordering online. It is very light and reasonably sturdy except for the pad which ended up getting a hole in the bottom and sliding up the kickstand post in less than a month. I took a large flanged nut that was just a bit smaller on the ID than the kickstand post and took a die that had the same thread as the flanged nut and threaded the end of the kickstand post and screwed the flanged nut on (flange side down so now a metal "pad") and that took care of that!

Comment

• So it looks like 100℅ limit speed in all pas levels is the way to go. Particularly for us strictly pavement riders. I have a dumb question though. If the cadence sensor is just an on off switch what keeps the motor from spinning to fast to keep up with if limit speed is 100℅. Is it the lower current limit you program in the lower pass levels?
          If someone explains this I will go away lol.

Comment

• 100% would never work for me across the board.... at 100% the pedal cadence is way too fast for me. I max out at about 60-65% and that also busts the legal 20mph in top gear so the only PAS I have at 100% is PAS9... I also typically like to run torque (current) limited but when in low torque situations (smooth surface, etc.) really need and want the progression of speed limits throughout the PAS ranges...

Comment

• Hello first post here. I have a lunacycle BBSHD hotrod kit on cargo bike and find that my gears are grinding when shifting and motor is PAS assisting. Is there a setting in the programming config tools that set how long the motor cuts out when the gear sensor is activated when shifting? I am interested in extending this time to allow for the chain to make it to next chain ring before motor starts spinning. I didn't see a specific gear sensor setting, but maybe some of you with more experience might know of some of other basic or pas settings to try and change to get this timing extended.

Comment

• Are you sure the gear sensor is working properly? They are known to slip and it's very easy to remedy: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-detect-shifts

When mine failed I rode by touching a brake lever enough to cut out the motor when shifting sort of like fanning a moto clutch. I got used to that and when I'm doing long shifts or low speed shifts I still do this to manually extend the time the motor is cut out....

Comment

• wmayers24
                  wmayers24 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It does detect the shifts and cuts out the motor but only for fraction of seconds, I am hoping to extend this a little longer.

• Even Luna is using 100℅ limit speed across the boards now per Eric's post at beginning of the this thread. I don't have my bbshd yet. Just preparing.
                Jplabs settings maybe but several here say 100℅ in all pas levels with a progression of low current limits to high 100℅ in the pass levels is more bike like and torque sensor like. Hmm??

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You may be confusing the recent discussion about "Keep Current" and the PAS speed limits - I'm pretty certain most folks don't run 100% speed across the board (*unless* perhaps they are limiting it globally and then it would make a whole lot more sense for most users that don't have a super high pedal cadence?).

I've tried pedaling at 100% speed (limited by battery voltage) and even with a 48V battery it's at the very limit if not plenty faster than what I am physically able to achieve... then again I'm old and lost a leg a decade past.... If you can keep up with it it might make more sense but it's a very high cadence by anyone's standards...

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like running in torque limited mode mostly and my first five PAS are definitely dominated by torque limited operation... But when resistance is low and I'm going faster then I find the speed limit to be effective to either limit the bike speed (say around pedestrians) and to keep the pedal cadence reasonable. Other folks may have a higher top gear than I.... I set things up so at my most comfortable "high" pedal cadence I'm going [the legal] 20mph and that's the limit of PAS 8. PAS 5 is only a couple of mph slower but with much less torque and 1-4 go much lower. In addition to being a one leg old guy my bike has 4.7" knobbies, goes off-road a lot and does *not* have great rolling resistance (at least on hard surface - I love laughing at the L. armstrong wannabes when they say I have such a high rolling resistance and I say I'll beat yours in the sand! - no shortage of that here LOL...) so I'm in a different camp completely than a lot of folks...

The beauty of being able to set it up is that every rider is different, every machine is different, and just as important the mission is different - and often wildly so - having the ability to tweak all this is awesome. I've found a set that works better when I'm more off-road... and another that's great for the canal paths here, etc., etc....

• AZGuy if you get a chance read thru page 11 on this thread.

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've read the whole darn thread... at least a couple of times =]

I've spent more than many hours playing with configurations too... ;-}

• Question. Just who's programming tool does everyone most recommend here. Penoff's most recent. M2.0's or M2.0's for Luna I think it is?
                Thanks all

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been using my own at this point =]

• No the software for programming. Not others el files

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I understood - I've written my own code to talk with the controller.... It doesn't have the slick UI - I just have multiple tables of the configuration data (like .el files) embedded in the code.... I'm using the codeblocks IDE and the GNU compiler but I doubt that's what you're interested in ;-}

• Lol. I am not that computer savvy. I think I will just download Penoff's most recent
                Thanks much.

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't either but I needed to write the code for another project and to sniff and hack the display/throttle/brake/etc. protocol... Good crash course in C programming. Not much use for anyone else but I'm not using the other software these days...

• The eggrider makes it easy for computer dummys like me. With posts like AZ guy and Joels limitless. I have modified things for my own style. That is the beauty of making your own profile and modifying it for your own use. I just write mine down. Take my programmer with me. If i have made an obnoxious change. I can stop and quickly change it

Comment

Working...
                X