Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol. Put a cover on it. It blows away the bafang displays

Comment

A cover? What's the point in that? Aren't the buttons on the display?

Why don't developers just make them able to turn off? Seems a lot less silly than a cover.

The *only* thing we need with the "display" is the ability to change the PAS level and it's nice to have a dark display that has the level. That's it... Period. There is nothing else useful to us on any ebike display except the egg-rider adds the ability to change BBS parameters wirelessly (the main point here) and is much smaller so that's what appeals. But if the developers are too clueless (perhaps the hubris of thinking *everybody* must want to always see their oh-so-wonderful display :-/ ) to provide a timeout on the backlight or just an on/off function, then they are the ones losing some finite amount of sales. E.g. - if the display would go dark they'd have sold at least one more (me) - and I talk to plenty of others so it would likely be more than just one more and I have more than one bike. And I know for fact that while in the minority, we're very far from the only ones.

We've got GPS for the essential nav data and batt-man for battery management. What else do we want?

The GPS has an auto-off and can be darkened 100% of the time if desired (it's still readable with ambient light) - the auto-off works great though. The batt-man backlight is disabled permanently so all good there.

Hey look.... some people want colorful dangly things on their bar-ends. Some folks want blinky led mood lights that simply scream "daddy daddy look at me! DADDY! Daddy look at me! Loooooook at ME!" Some folks don't give a crap about how the bike works as long as it looks good - function following form. Some folks want the opposite - to simply go entirely unnoticed. Especially in the peace and quiet of the night time desert. Something that is just so functional that's the best "look" to them. Form following function...

Take all kinds to make the world go round...

Comment

The pas buttons are below the actual display. I would bet that an update will eventually allow the display to be totally darkened. A piece of black tape over the display is just so hard to do until an update lol.
        Just joking!

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have any confidence they will fix it. I'm finding that many display folks are deaf to the request because they don't understand it so they likely don't think anyone else will want it.

Really, the Eggrider display is as small as my smart watch and not even as bright.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Must have zero light on demand - requirement and I'm not bothering explaining why anymore.... It's a given, it's a requirement for our bikes...

Look - even the speed sensor light is gone from our bikes...

I bought the EggV2 with my most recent motor purchase. It took a little effort for me to get it working properly, but I'm not sure if I can blame that on the Egg or myself (I'm more of a tools guy than a computer guy). Anyhow the developers were easy to contact by email and everything is working well now. I really like it a lot. I can ride the bike a short distance, then open the app, make some changes to the program, then ride to test. It all happens so easily on the side of the road without me getting off he bike seat.

I also really like the tiny display. It just looks so much cleaner than my DPC-14 and 18. On some builds that doesn't matter, like my Townie which actually looks great with a big disolay, but on my Devinci Wilson (downhill full suspension) the larger displays just look silly.

For now, I am sold on the Egg.

Comment

I just bought an EggRider V2 to replace a 500C display. The main reason is they have a watt-hour based battery meter algorithm built in, and way more diagnostic data. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get headlamp control working. I see in their latest firmware release notes that headlamp control is enabled. I'm also trying to find a high quality headlamp to buy that runs on main battery power. This device looks to be much better designed and better supported than any of the Bafang displays. They take user feedback seriously - sign of a good company.

Comment

• AndyZ
            AndyZ commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't wired my headlight into the egg, but I do have a great headlight that wires into the battery. I have only had it a few months but so far I really like it. It has a flasher for daytime and 4 brightness levels for night up to 3200 lumens. It is very powerful. Luna sells it for $199.

Oops forgot the pics

Comment

AndyZ I'm looking at getting that light as well. I see on the companies website that they are coming out with an anodized black version in a couple weeks. I'm going to wait for that version. It looks sweet on your bike! Have you had any problems with it blinding oncoming traffic? It looks like they don't have a limiter for vertical light in the lens.

Comment

• AndyZ
              AndyZ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have only ridden that light once on the street at night so I can't tell about oncoming traffic. Nobody complained that evening. You definitely don't need the highest setting though. I think I was riding two down from the highest. I would probably only use the highest setting on technical terrain at speed at night in the woods, but I haven't even tested that yet. We have an 18 month old and just had another baby, so I am a little tied up (for the best reasons) :).
          Working...
          X