Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBSHD and DPC-18 with 52V Luna Wolf 12ah: Can't limit speed..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD and DPC-18 with 52V Luna Wolf 12ah: Can't limit speed..

I bought this with the hotrod program, but I want to ride it road legal now, so I'm trying to limit speed to 20mph and wattage to 750watts(Wisconsin law). After changing speed limit to 20mph or 32kmh in the bafang programming software and writing it to the controller, it still does not limit throttle or pedal assist at all and goes way past 20mph. And I'm not sure how to change my wattage or what current to set at to make the motor output 750 watts. Is there a profile i can download for this or can someone tell me what to set things at to achieve a road legal ride or send me screenshots of your programming settings?

I'd also like links to profiles if they are available so i can swap the programming when I take my bike out in the country to let loose.

Thanks for all the knowledge I get form this forum!

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives
    Did you follow this guide? You sure you hit write in the program? It can be a bit confusing since there are two buttons for write, depending on whether you want to write just that page or write all config settings.

Additionally you can limit speed (not wattage) in the display. At least, as long as you have that configured to do so in the program settings.

Comment

Yeah its not working after changing programming to follow display settings for speed limit and setting speed limit at 20mph, still no limiting. I hit write on each screen then write flash when I was done with all 3 screens to be sure it worked. throttle and pedal assist cruise way past 20mph still. Not sure what is going on, but trying to avoid getting tickets and stuff, but would really like to be able to make this street legal for now, but I can't limit wattage or speed..

Do you have a link to the street legal profile Luna uses? and is there a way to limit wattage by doing some math to see what it would be able to output and limiting current or something?
      Last edited by skharbush; 01-25-2019, 06:37 AM.

Comment

If you divide watts by volts you get the amps you need to set the controller to. I am a noob so maybe a more experience guy will tell you a different way, but that's how I do it. I have a 52v battery which my supplier calls a 50v for whatever reason (I am not sure), so I divide 500w (the legal Canadian limit) by 50v to get 10amps which is what I plug into the controller for legal use. Of course, the battery charge ranges from 58.8v down to something like 44v, so the exact wattage fluctuates from a little over he limit to a little under the legal limit, but that is as best as I know how to do it. For you, you would set the controller to 15 amps-ish

When I limited the motor to 10 amps on the stock programming, it sucked. When I used the limitless program (available by searching this forum - big thanks to the creator), it was amazing and I honestly don't need more power even though I ride ultra steep offroad terrain. It feels like more amps just waste the battery and don't do anything (for me anyhow). I did make a few changes to the limitless profile which were significant in how well it performed for me personally, so if you decide to try it out, hit me up and I will show you the changes I made so you can try it out. I also found this profile to be the most natural and intuitive that I have tried. It is perfect for me on street or offroad.

Comment

after some further programming it seems like it limits at half throttle, but not at full throttle. and pedal assist still flies over limit

Comment

If you want dual use (on road off road), you might consider ordering an Eggrider v2. It makes programming very easy (you can do it on an app while out on the bike), and it also allows you to switch between the legal and off-road modes with the touch of a button. I bought one a few months ago and really love it.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate it! I'll let you know if i try that out. I've thought about the egg rider, but I'm just annoyed I can't get the speed limit to function on the nice dpc18 i bought with the kit. I've tried programming to use display settings and setting limit on there and also tried setting the limit in the programming and neither seems to do it..

Comment

Wierd. Sorry I don't know how to help. Mine works both ways.

Comment

Here's a thought, not necessarily a solution:

Make sure your "Keep Current" is not set too high. I believe the Keep Current is applied, even when above some or all speed limits. It seems to be, vs. cadence limits, but I have not tested vs. the mph speed limits. That might be keeping the power on at a higher level than the minimum needed to hold speed.

Easy to check, set it to like 5% and see if behavior changes.
                  Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
                  X