Program for Legal Class 1. Class 2, and Class 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program for Legal Class 1. Class 2, and Class 3

Are there profiles available for the BBSHD that ensure compliance with legal requirements. I think this is the Class definition that is being adopted:

https://www.electricbike.com/california-ebike-laws/

I am particularly interested in meeting the intent of Class 1 since that would be legal on paved bike paths here in Washington where I reside as well as other states where we ride (California, Florida). I am looking for max range, not the fastest. My wife's bike will seldom if ever use a bike lane since she refuses to mix with cars. I may alternate between Class 1 and Class 3 depending on the ride. The bikes I am building will be within the legal limit of 750 watt with a 48v or 52 volt battery of the highest ah that gets the most range. I will use the same battery on both bikes so I can have a spare on solo rides.

You can pretty readily limit watts (via amps), as well as top assisted and/or throttle speed.

If you have a standard BBSHD display, configuration programming is accomplished via a PC-driven USB interface (usually while at home). There's no pre-configured per-state regulation specific BBSHD configurations (files) that I know of, but you can create them yourself.

If you want to have two switchable modes while out ("between Class 1 and Class 3 depending on the ride"), you may want to look at the aftermarket eggrider display.

But ... the general consensus is, don't ask for it (flaunt speed and/or high assist in front of law enforcement) and you won't likely have an violation issue. Many (most?) of the BBSHD motors are labelled "750W" on the bottom of the case. As for the throttle (a problem for Class 1), maybe you could hide it in a bike bell ...
    Last edited by ncrkd; 03-07-2019, 01:46 PM.
    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
      You can pretty readily limit watts (via amps), as well as top assisted and/or throttle speed.

If you have a standard BBSHD display, configuration programming is accomplished via a PC-driven USB interface (usually while at home). There's no pre-configured per-state regulation specific BBSHD configurations (files) that I know of, but you can create them yourself.

If you want to have two switchable modes while out ("between Class 1 and Class 3 depending on the ride"), you may want to look at the aftermarket eggrider display.

But ... the general consensus is, don't ask for it (flaunt speed and/or high assist in front of law enforcement) and you won't likely have an violation issue. Many (most?) of the BBSHD motors are labelled "750W" on the bottom of the case. As for the throttle (a problem for Class 1), maybe you could hide it in a bike bell ...
      Excellent info. I have checked our Washington trails as well as the California trail laws and both Class 1 and Class 2 are permitted. Since a Class 2 permits a throttle I believe I would be OK if I limited the speed to less than 20 mph both throttle and PAS. I could also unplug the throttle or even remove it if I got paranoid. Also, I was looking for a walking mode and that appears doable if I program the assist to a low value in one of the ride levels.

The Eggrider would really be nice for setting up two modes and switching as desired. Thanks for the help.

Comment

The standard displays have a separate, easy to use walking mode (hold down the "-"). I think the eggrider has something similar.
        2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
        3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
        4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

Working...
        X