Black Box programmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Box programmer

I purchased the Black Box programmer and when you read the thing that tells you they're going to be 6teen Hotshot programs loaded on the box. I do not see that is there a place I can download programs for it and instructions. Thanks for any help from anybody

The programs are pre-loaded on the black box in the Advanced profiles menu.

The manual is in the black box in the "help" section.

Comment

Got the box 3 days ago. Great device but not without it’s shortcomings. You will find that there is no description of any of presets or what application they may be best suited for. Also it seems impossible to tell which preset is currently loaded because it’s not displayed anywhere (unless I’m missing something).

Comment

You can look at the parameters for each program to see how they differ. To see what is loaded, you can just read the controller data and look at it. But the filename isn't shown, right. A piece of tape on the box, with notes as to what is currently loaded, was helpful for me at first. I'd pick one I thought I liked best, and tweak it, then try others, etc.

I don't want to give details since I'll get them wrong, but do check the help files on the device, they even explain parameters pretty well. You can save your custom program on the device while you try others, so you can return it to the bike when you are done. Great for A-B testing vs the stock ones on the box.

Really, playing with parameters is so easy with this, that I think the best approach is to first pick the preloaded file you like best, then play with it. Note what changes you like, and what you don't. Evolve your own as you get a feel for what changed do.

I've found phone photos of the cal screens can be helpful notes, too, for on-trail reference.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
          You can look at the parameters for each program to see how they differ. To see what is loaded, you can just read the controller data and look at it. But the filename isn't shown, right. A piece of tape on the box, with notes as to what is currently loaded, was helpful for me at first. I'd pick one I thought I liked best, and tweak it, then try others, etc.

I don't want to give details since I'll get them wrong, but do check the help files on the device, they even explain parameters pretty well. You can save your custom program on the device while you try others, so you can return it to the bike when you are done. Great for A-B testing vs the stock ones on the box.

Really, playing with parameters is so easy with this, that I think the best approach is to first pick the preloaded file you like best, then play with it. Note what changes you like, and what you don't. Evolve your own as you get a feel for what changed do.

I've found phone photos of the cal screens can be helpful notes, too, for on-trail reference.

Does the motor (controller) sense cadence or mph? Or neither? I can't tell what's going on with the preset I chose. I think I chose the very last preset. Pas1 seems to stop providing power at about 15mph and PAS2 at about 18mph. Seems like it's sensing MPH.

Comment

It senses both. I don't think anybody fully understands how the data is used for control. My opinion is it's mostly cadence based control, except for speed limits. With my high currents, cadence holds at higher speeds in a given gear, so i think it's cadence controlled and torque limited.

If you change gears, you should see the max speed change with the gearing, showing it's a cadence limit, assuming you either ride at low current operating points, or have ample current dialed in so it it not the limiting factor.

You could set it up to allow max cadence any time (100 speed) though, and thus remove cadence limits.

"How it works" depends upon how it's set up.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
            X