Motobecane Fantom Boost Elite 27.5" + Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motobecane Fantom Boost Elite 27.5" + Bike

I wanted a stealth e-MTB for the coastal hills of Newport & Laguna Beach, CA. I waited a couple years for the Wolf Pup and the Luna 500C mini display. The bike is really fun and yet, still a great workout in PAS 2, sometimes 3-4+ for the steep stuff.

I decided a hard tail was good advice for durability and control. I went with a Fantom Boost Elite 27.5 Plus Bike from Bikes Direct. I got to know the bike first and then custom fit it with a Fabric Gell Saddle, Hunter smooth move “comfort bars”, Ergon GA3 grips. Maxxis Minion II Exo TR 2.8" tires and a Kinekt 2.1 seat post to give the bike a sense of full suspension. I had done the research on intrusive chain stays because the Boost standard comes with a wider axle and chain stay, especially for a 68mm bottom bracket. The bike has a 1x11 SRAM NX drive train and came with a 30 T chain ring. Given the intrusive chain stay and the way the BBHSD motor measured out, I knew I needed a chain ring with the offset of the 42T Luna Eclipse or Lekkie Bling Ring to retain use of all 11 gears. I estimated that the Luna was too much offset and I was right. In all fairness, a chain ring spacer could have made the Luna Eclipse work but I prefer the Lekkie for a little more stealthy look.

If you end up using this bike, or another with Boost axles, you will need ample spacers for the BBHSD. I estimate 6mm worth (a couple more than what comes in the “Luna Install Helper” kit). In the end there was still 15mm of threads to install the two BB screw caps (you need at least 12mm). The only mistake I made was leaving the brake cable routed between the motor and the down tube. Once I routed it off to the side and alleviated the pinching the build was complete. To make the bike as stealthy as possible, I color coded the wire running up the seat tube by wrapping it in electrical tape to match the bike frame.

The bike weighs in at 48 pounds and cost me $2,650; I am quite happy with it. Using PAS the Wolf Pup gets about 10 miles in the hills. I purchased a 2nd Wolf Pup to store in my Camelback hydration pack. Switching them out takes about 2 minutes. I plan to add a 13.5 Ah Wolf Pack for longer rides on Catalina and while camping. Lastly, thanks to Luna Cycle, Karl at https://electricbike-blog.com , Ron and Luna staff at Electricbike.com!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0417.JPG Views:	113 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	102102
    Last edited by CC Rider; 06-11-2020, 02:28 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3655.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	103259
    Last edited by CC Rider; 03-18-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

New upgrade - These Luna Pedals are the bomb. Luna Cranks are definitely more durable than the cheap Bafangs. Plus the Luna cranks are easy on, easy off. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.07.03 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	103570

Comment

Your Bike looks great! I am looking at converting the same bike with the BBHSD and have a few questions if you don't mind. My concern is the chainstay interference. From you post, you mention you added 6mm worth of spacers to clear the gear housing, and am wondering if you used the standard size 68-73mm motor or the 100mm motor? Any other details or tips on the motor fitment you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated before I go ahead and order the bike from bikedirect.com and all the other goodies from Luna.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Raybo, Thanks for the message. I ordered the standard 68-73mm BBHSD. If you go with the 2 piece Luna Eclipse chain ring I would make sure you get the spacer, just in case you need to adjust the alignment. When you order from Luna get the $10 install kit and request that they add one thick spacer or two medium spacers to the order. Now that I have figured out which trails I can ride this bike without getting a ticket, I plan to get a Wolf pack, which will fit nicely on the bike. In general I like that the bike has less slack that some of the newer bikes coming out. You will find that you can be aggressive in your cornering with the Boost axles. Your lower back will thank you if you get a suspension seat post. Lastly, the stem is a little long but I offset that with some 'comfort' handlebars to mimic a motocross cockpit. With the Wolf Pup, this build weighs in at 48 pounds. So with the full blown Wolf you'll be up around 54 pounds. Get the gear sensor, these BBHSD have a lot of power. I can only imagine how many rear cogs you could go through with a Luna Ludicrous controller. I have not had to replace mine after two years of solid riding but I am probably not too far off from having to. Last but not least, make sure you check your rear thru axle, and all fittings in general, in a consistent manner. The Bikes Direct product seems to come undone if you don't keep an eye on them. I ride mine at least 5 days a week, and some of that is black diamond trails so the bike can take a beating, but you do have show it some love back.

Comment

Also once you mount the motor and all your cables and everything is set, I would add a few drops of Blue Loctite to the mounting ring. That has a tendency to loosen up without Blue Loctite, no matter how hard you torque it on there. Since I have applied the Blue Loctite, it hasn't budged. You don't need a lot of the Blue Loctite to make it work.

Comment

CC, Thanks for all your info.. VERY helpful and much appreciated!

Comment

One thing I forgot to metion, you'll want a KMC e-chain for the build https://www.kmcchain.com/en/product/...turbo-11-speed

Looking forward to seeing your build in the gallery when done. Cheers!
                Last edited by CC Rider; 06-06-2020, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X