Motobecane HAL5 + BBSHD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motobecane HAL5 + BBSHD

My new trail bike arrived today. Installation was a breeze. Had to have the bike shop remove the BB, mostly I didn't want to bother with it.

I haven't yet figured out how to install the magnetized brake cut off sensors on my Shimano M395 brake levers. Has anyone had luck with that? There doesn't seem to be a good surface area near the brake lever to mount the sensor.

I'm really looking forward to shredding some hidden trails near my house, I should be the only one out there. My commuter bike is looking pretty sad right now, which sucks considering I just finished it last week!
    Last edited by WebEsquire; 07-01-2016, 08:54 PM.

I figured out a clever way to install the brake sensors. In the process, I discovered one of my brake sensors doesn't work. Hopefully Luna will send me a replacement.

I super glued the magnetic ring into the lever (which is also metal), and used a zip tie to secure the sensor nearby. Works like a charm.

I also tucked the bag back a bit since it was interfering with the rear suspension. I'm dialed in right now!

Comment

Great looking bike, how are you liking it so far?

Comment

Thank you! I love this bike. I find myself riding this bike the most, although I wish I had a much larger battery for it. From my measurements, no decent size batteries will fit in the medium size frame though.

Comment

I have a motobecane fantom29 and I where a back pack for longer rides and use a bag under the seat for shorter rides. The hal 5 may be my next build, I am thinking I might like a 27.5. What size chain ring in the front did you go with?? I cant believe how much fun these bikes are, I have not ridden my bike much in years, I put one of these motors on it and I cant wait to ride every day now.

Comment

Agreed! I did a 16 mile ride yesterday on this bike. I went with the luna mighty mini chainring. To be honest, it's a bit undergeared - I could've went with a larger chainring and been just fine. I hardly ever use gears 1,2, or 3.

If you are thinking about getting a HAL5, I would recommend getting a large frame, if possible. The medium frame is just too limiting when it comes to batteries/frame bags.

Comment

Hi WebEsq!
              I'm a newbie (posted intro) and considering a HAL5 for my 4th build. One was a Motebecane Boris with a medium frame (using a Luna Shark pack) and I don't think I'd be happy with a Large frame.
              I'd like to use a Shark Pack on a Hal 5. Would you be so kind to provide a down tube measurement on your Medium frame? (top side from the top-seat tube joints).

Thank you.
              e-hapa

Comment

Hi Jim,

On my medium frame, there is maybe 13" of usable space for the downtube. I would be really surprised if you could fit a shark pack into this frame. I've measured it many times and tried to find something other than a mighty mini that will fit (besides custom), so far without luck. You are welcome to come dry fit, I would be very interested in the outcome. I live in Mission Viejo.

Here are the official specs if you are curious: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...5-hal6-geo.gif

Comment

I just wrote a response and it got lost somehow :(

I measured around 13" of usable space in the downtube, but here are some specs: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...5-hal6-geo.gif

You are welcome to come try to dry fit it, I live nearby. PM if interested, I'd be very interested to see if it does fit.

Comment

I measured around 13" of usable space in the downtube, but here are some specs: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...5-hal6-geo.gif

You are welcome to come try to dry fit it, I live nearby. PM if interested, I'd be very interested to see if it does fit.

Comment

Hi Jim, it's about 13". I sent you a PM if you'd like to come try to dry fit it, I'd be interested to know if it fits as well.

Comment

Thanks, went to read your PM and lost it. Sent you a PM.
                        e-hapa

Comment

At 300 easy miles, seems the motor is leaking grease around the seal. I'll probably have to open her up soon. Despite a wobble at around 18 mph, and a slight tick probably from low grease, she's still a joy to ride. Click image for larger version

Name:	top-of-the-world.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	26284
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	beach.jpg
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	26283
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	trail.jpg
Size:	732.8 KB
ID:	26286

Last edited by WebEsquire; 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• cntclass1
                            cntclass1 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The bike looks great!!

What are the front fenders and how well have they worked for you over the last year? Thanks!

Originally posted by WebEsquire View Post
                          My new trail bike arrived today. Installation was a breeze. Had to have the bike shop remove the BB, mostly I didn't want to bother with it.

I haven't yet figured out how to install the magnetized brake cut off sensors on my Shimano M395 brake levers. Has anyone had luck with that? There doesn't seem to be a good surface area near the brake lever to mount the sensor.

I'm really looking forward to shredding some hidden trails near my house, I should be the only one out there. My commuter bike is looking pretty sad right now, which sucks considering I just finished it last week!
                          what size bbshd dd you get ? 68mm ?

Comment

Working...
                          X