Meet Miss Mino'aka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSURANCE

This brings me to another thing I did to make me feel better about this somewhat risky decision and that is that I purchased insurance Velosurance for my bike that protects against theft, and damage as well as provides roadside assistance. Everything about this bike is brand new, it’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to a new car. I wouldn’t be able to replace it if something happens so my $2300.00 bike costs me $14.00 a month to insure including roadside assistance. Considering there is no depreciation I think it’s worth it. I can upgrade parts and update my policy to reflect that.

Comment

THANKS

This whole process was a blast! I was lucky that I had a garage with a workbench and tools provided by my brother-in-law and help from my friend Jerry. Looking back I can say that I could have done this on my own but all of the tools I would have had to buy just for a one time project would have resulted in a lesser quality build and way more expensive. Aside from the technical issues I imposed on myself with my choice of bike, battery and mounting position A standard mountain bike install with hand tools and the handlebar jacks would have been easy enough.

The other essential element for this whole process is the Internet and all of the resources it makes available. I wasn’t even aware of ebikes until I stumbled on them while searching for ways to carry luggage. A lightbulb went off and I started learning all about them. I posted on forums, read articles, searched google along with Amazon and watched hours of youtube videos. A few resources that stand out are listed below.

Comment

That was quite a journey, and it looks to have really paid off! Thanks for the write-up. I, too, am a once-avid cyclist looking to for a better way to get around my little corner of the world, and re-learning bikes and learning how much of what I knew is laughably out of date. The detail with which you detail the build, and your design process, is truly appreciated. Today, after months of reading and rethinking and waiting for stuff to arrive, I had enough bits to strip my bottom bracket and mount my BBSHD. All that's left to do now is everything. Good to hear from those who've gone before!

Comment

Nice avatar, electric bike, pictures and build report K.

Consider small powerful lights because drivers subconsciously (?) 'identify' your bike as a vehicle in the Florida Sunshine.
          Lights, a helmet, and a layer of lightweight protective clothing differentiate fully prepared road cyclists, I think.
          Good Luck
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by DCErik View Post
            That was quite a journey, and it looks to have really paid off! Thanks for the write-up. I, too, am a once-avid cyclist looking to for a better way to get around my little corner of the world, and re-learning bikes and learning how much of what I knew is laughably out of date. The detail with which you detail the build, and your design process, is truly appreciated. Today, after months of reading and rethinking and waiting for stuff to arrive, I had enough bits to strip my bottom bracket and mount my BBSHD. All that's left to do now is everything. Good to hear from those who've gone before!
            Thanks! The journey was so much fun! My only concern is did I make the battery mount strong enough. The level of detail I went into was possible because of the shoulders of the giants I stood on who built before me. I didn't detail every step because it was already well detailed in previous builds. I was able to focus on the custom parts of my build, such as battery mount, and the parts I didn't fully understand such as dielectric grease. It seems only fair that I share back to the community that helped me with my build.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_V View Post
              Nice avatar, electric bike, pictures and build report K.

Consider small powerful lights because drivers subconsciously (?) 'identify' your bike as a vehicle in the Florida Sunshine.
              Lights, a helmet, and a layer of lightweight protective clothing differentiate fully prepared road cyclists, I think.
              Good Luck
              Mike
              Thanks! I made the avatar using a phone app called Inkwork that converts pictures to graphics for tattoos. I created it for my online portfolio, I'm a retired web developer. The build report is probably the longest thing I ever wrote. LOL;

LIghts are my next upgrade. Brake lights and turn signals are also planned. I also wear a bright orange reflective mesh safety vest. A helmet is also a requirement for myself, I just need to find one I like.

Comment

I REALLY like how the frame allows the motor to sit above the BB. That is a very clean installation.

Jose

Comment

Originally posted by DaHose View Post
                  I REALLY like how the frame allows the motor to sit above the BB. That is a very clean installation.

Jose
                  Yes! That was one of the main reasons for choosing this frame, I saw other builders mounting the motor in the frame.

Comment

Nice work... I also have the same bike and love it. Have you had any luck finding a front fork for the bike? Or have you considered it?

Comment

Originally posted by tonycajjo View Post
                    Nice work... I also have the same bike and love it. Have you had any luck finding a front fork for the bike? Or have you considered it?
                    Thanks! I haven't started looking for forks yet, I would love a nice triple crown suspension fork. It won't be easy since the bike has a 1" threaded steel headset. Most forks fit 1 1/8" non-threaded headset. I've seen adapters but I don't understand how they work to fit something bigger (1 1/8") into something smaller (1"). Please post here if you figure this out. As a kid I "chopped" my bike by extending the forks. I had no idea how this would change it's handling. I hated how light the front became and had to ride wheelies all of the time. I won't be making that mistake again. Any fork changes will be researched until I'm clear on how the ride will be impacted.

I'm currently working on the other end with a new seat expected today and a suspension seatpost next on my list. I'm 5'11" and I have the seatpost almost all of the way down so I'm researching my options for installing one.

On the front I have gel gloves and I'm deciding on what grips I want. Handlebars are also being considered, I like the jones bar but I think I'll decide on which/if I upgrade the fork before that.

Obviously I value my comfort so I'll be upgrading as I go. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Good luck with your fork quest and please share your results.

Comment

Originally posted by kauaicycler View Post

Thanks! I haven't started looking for forks yet, I would love a nice triple crown suspension fork. It won't be easy since the bike has a 1" threaded steel headset. Most forks fit 1 1/8" non-threaded headset. I've seen adapters but I don't understand how they work to fit something bigger (1 1/8") into something smaller (1"). Please post here if you figure this out. As a kid I "chopped" my bike by extending the forks. I had no idea how this would change it's handling. I hated how light the front became and had to ride wheelies all of the time. I won't be making that mistake again. Any fork changes will be researched until I'm clear on how the ride will be impacted.

I'm currently working on the other end with a new seat expected today and a suspension seatpost next on my list. I'm 5'11" and I have the seatpost almost all of the way down so I'm researching my options for installing one.

On the front I have gel gloves and I'm deciding on what grips I want. Handlebars are also being considered, I like the jones bar but I think I'll decide on which/if I upgrade the fork before that.

Obviously I value my comfort so I'll be upgrading as I go. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Good luck with your fork quest and please share your results.
                      I think the Body Float is a great seat post and it takes up less room. That bike has a very big frame which is why I like it.
                      https://lunacycle.com/cirrus-bodyflo...ion-seat-post/

You can't beat foam grips. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jones bars are great. They are all I will use now. The only drawback is how wide they are.

I'm going to have a spare DNM usd-8 shortly that I may try to put on my Electra but I have a crazy amount of things going on right now so don't hold your breath. If I get it on I will definitely post about it because a lot of people have asked about this.

Comment

• calfee20
                        calfee20 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is the body float people.

• kauaicycler
                        kauaicycler commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I found that stem when I was looking for the body float. I also found other suspension stems, I never knew they were a thing. Kinekt seems to be the best seatpost and it would be nice to have one company for all of my suspension. My riding is mostly on roads, bike paths and some gravel so a suspension stem might be a better option then a suspension fork. More research is required.

• kauaicycler
                        kauaicycler commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I just found this:

"It is important to note that the ShockStop stem will work with flat and drop style handlebars. It will not work with swept back or cruiser style handlebars because the leverage of those handlebars counter act the downward direction of the stem suspension design."

I assume it would apply to all suspension stems.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

I think the Body Float is a great seat post and it takes up less room. That bike has a very big frame which is why I like it.
                      https://lunacycle.com/cirrus-bodyflo...ion-seat-post/

You can't beat foam grips. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jones bars are great. They are all I will use now. The only drawback is how wide they are.

I'm going to have a spare DNM usd-8 shortly that I may try to put on my Electra but I have a crazy amount of things going on right now so don't hold your breath. If I get it on I will definitely post about it because a lot of people have asked about this.
                      The Body Float looks perfect. I was worried I'd need to cut the tube to fit a suspension seatpost. I was looking at a Suntour SP12-NCX at about 1/2 the price so I may cut anyway but I'm glad to know I have options.

I've never tried foam grips, I'll be giving those a try. Thanks.

Are the jones bars wider than the stock ones?

Add me to the list of people that would love to see you mount that fork.

Thanks! Your build threads helped me pick this bike for my first build.

Comment

• calfee20
                        calfee20 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The jones bars actually have a line 2 or 3 inches from the ends that indicate the standard bar size. So you can cut them if you want.
                    Working...
                    X