1200W 48V Walmart Fat Bike with upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1200W 48V Walmart Fat Bike with upgrades

I recently built this electric fatbike using a cheap used Mongoose Malus frame and fork. I upgraded the bottom bracket, steering head bearings, handlebars, grips, pedals and tires (to Maxxis Minion 4.8"), and removed the derailleur and shifter so as to simplify the controls. A Thudbuster suspension seat post, combined with the low-pressure tires, gives a nice ride. 180mm hydraulic brakes with cutoff switches help control it on hills. Ebikeling 1200W direct drive hub motor and 48V battery give it good acceleration and about 30 mph. The whole thing cost only about $1,000.

Looks like a lot of fun for $1000. What do you think of the thudbuster? Did you try other seat posts? I'm currently running cheap ones and its a big help but I wonder if it would be worth the extra money. Mine are all plenty high that I would not have a height issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
      Looks like a lot of fun for $1000. What do you think of the thudbuster? Did you try other seat posts? I'm currently running cheap ones and its a big help but I wonder if it would be worth the extra money. Mine are all plenty high that I would not have a height issue.
      I like it a lot. The angle of the suspension is more effective than the usual linear sprung posts. Really smooths out the ride.

Comment

According to my, 1000$ is a little bit expensive, though it had got good mylowes acceleration only for this the money is a little expensive, I had one with same mykohlscharge specs but with not so much acceleration although it is a very good bike nice work and is also very attractive. It's just an opinion.
        Last edited by john07; 09-15-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

What a killer bike, I shudder to think what those tires cost though! I saw some fat ones in the shop last week and they were 4 times the price of the 2" ones I was buying. But I was buying low-end ones I admit :)

Comment

• 73Eldo
            73Eldo commented
            Editing a comment
            There are fat bike tires that are only $30 usd but if you start looking at winter studded fat bike tires you can easily spend $220 usd each and that is 45Nrth brand which I think is just in the middle quality wise. I assume there are much higher end brands that the 'pros' ride.

Originally posted by huffnpuff View Post
          What a killer bike, I shudder to think what those tires cost though! I saw some fat ones in the shop last week and they were 4 times the price of the 2" ones I was buying. But I was buying low-end ones I admit :)
          Those tires are generally in the 75-100$US range. I've run them and they have really good life - I've got >1200mi on a set that still has a lot of life left in them

As 73eldo says you can get fatties for 25-35$US but they are junk, handle poorly and don't last long... you have to pay for what you get and the 3x cost tires are worth it...

Comment

Hi,
            Love your bike can you tell me the make and model of your bottom bracket you upgraded to? I been been striking out looking for one.

thanks in advance

cmm

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post

you have to pay for what you get and the 3x cost tires are worth it...
              I have always bought decent tires for my bikes, not the best, but up there. For some reason I bought low end ones for this new e-bike I bought, I don't know why, it wasn't for lack of $$$. Anyway I correct that in a year lol. I tried to reset the bloody trip meter on the display but it's hopeless! I need a manual on how to use it but 20 minutes and no joy yet. It's the one with 5 power settings. BBS02B

I think it's the Bafang DP-C07

It is! Found a youtube on it too
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbBX7uqvtU4

Last edited by huffnpuff; 10-27-2021, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Great build ,my kind of bike,i just passed on a whole setup with that frame some fat tires and mid drive setup but I knew I should have gotten it just for basic mock-up purposes.It was a Mongoose
                With a mid drive external brushed motor that attached to the frame.But the wheels had bad bearings and I assume races and would need replacement ,then needed a battery,so 200 turns to 600,=infinity! etc...etc..I decided to ust wait ,,And source NEW and the best used parts available, i like your build ,,i just want it one and done ,not some rickety scrap heap that's got me stopped on my favorite trail fixing it every stunt or long trip i take or whatever.Right!?!thanks for posting your build i think its awesome !!!

Comment

FWIW this is my [very well used] bbshd

Click image for larger version

Name:	boris_0889.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	143888

Comment

• AZguy
                    AZguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah - I know people that run the fat-tires that still can't get their head around the really low pressures the sing at... it's what makes them so powerful... I rarely run these at more than 12psi and that's for when I'm doing a lot of hard surface... 10psi is more the norm...

The *only* way the fatties have a disadvantage IMO is on hard, very smooth surface where their rolling resistance is higher and they weigh more... but with electric those concerns are more relegated to non-issues and as soon as there are even just bumps on the smooth they are showing advantages... off-road, even with the low pressures, the rolling resistance is actually less, traction hugely improved, the ability to absorb rough greatly increased and soft stuff like deep sand or snow can be laughed at/with

• huffnpuff
                    huffnpuff commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They never took off here AZ and I guess there is just limited terrain that would justify them, aside from the deserts or beaches, and I couldn't imagine a worse place to take a bicycle lol. One nice aspect of this old NRS I bought is the rear suspension. I have never ridden a bike with a rear shock but boy does it make a difference on the road, all the jarring is gone, it's a dream. I wouldn't want it on a non-electric due to the weight factor and the power loss through it, though these would probably be slight. When using my own legs only I like every ounce of mechanical advantage. I guess I'm a purest in that sense but it's a bit of a joke when you factor in wind resistance losses compared to those from a rebounding fork.

Check this trip out.
                    https://cyclingtips.com/2019/10/cros...t-by-fat-bike/

• AZguy
                    AZguy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Even my non-electric hard-core MTB buddies that have given the fatties a real chance (sad to say many dismiss them without giving them that chance) have gone over and won't go back. They are great (and IMO better) anywhere you aren't on good smooth hard surfaces and even there have some pluses.

They are more than great in the sand and snow - they are essential

It really is hilarious to just go floating across the deep soft sugar sand with 5-8psi in the tires

Try that in 2" 60psi and.... it's not good ;-}
                Working...
                X