Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kona Splice becomes mMAX (run for your life :-) )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kona Splice becomes mMAX (run for your life :-) )

Kona Splice + BBS02+ Panasonic PF 11.5AH + Suntour Epixon forks + a bunch of other stuff. Not cheap... I've got about $2,300 invested. But it is the bike that I wanted and I am loving it.... Since mMAX photo I have upgraded disk brakes from 160mm rotors to 180 rear and 203 front.
    In the beginning.... OMG... What have I created?!
    Last edited by Arboh; 07-27-2016, 11:48 PM.

Thanks for posting this! I keep reading about people who are afraid of adding a kit to a bike, so they spend $2600 on a turn-key ebike, and then....they end up very disappointed in the performance.

$2300 for a complete system that absolutely kicks ass is right what I've been hearing from a variety of sources, using only high-quality components...

Comment

Exactly... That's what I saw when I started doing "what-if" cost models.. Couldn't be happier with my decision to build the e-bike that I wanted. Problem is...I've got the fever and can't stop! This weekend I'll be swapping out the 29" rear wheel for a 27.5 take-off that I picked up cheap on Amazon... Need more tire to fender clearance and a slightly lower final drive ratio won't hurt either. I'm also moving the BBS02 to my wifes new build and have taken delivery of a BBSHD that will go on mMAX... Have I gone completely mad? Someone stop me !

Comment

• New Mariner
        New Mariner commented
        Editing a comment
        You are gonna love the BBHSD. Several others have donated the BBSO2 to their wives and upgraded their own. Consider getting an eclipse or lekkie as well. Forget the 42T, get a 30T mighty mini. Don't lose much top end and gain massive torque
        Last edited by New Mariner; 08-02-2016, 12:35 PM.

A word of caution, Luna has new batteries in stock about once every two weeks. If they have the exact battery cell and size and shape you want...GET IT!. They will be out of stock soon, and you will have to wait. Then...they don't always order the same exact packs with the next order...it depends on what customers are buying!

Comment

Can you describe or add photos of the battery mount/holder that you have? It looks like an interesting custom set-up: is it a metal trough with the battery wrapped in some sort of fabric? Is the metal U-shaped portion secured to the bottle cage mounts on the frame?

Comment

Certainly... If your go to the "DIY" section you will see my build description here>
          http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-commuter-bike.
          ​There are detailed photos of the battery "trough", foam padding etc.
          Yes, it mounts to the bottle mounts. It is formed from 1/8" ABS plastic. And yes, it is wrapped in 1/4" closed cell foam. If you use one of the rectangular packs... they are 3.25" wide... Add 1/4 inch of foam on each side and it's 3.75" uncompressed. With 50% compression of the foam it's 3.5"...Which just happens to be the nominal width of a common 2"x4" stud. Which makes a 2x4 the perfect item to use for forming the ABS battery trough. Just use a heat gun and wrap the ABS around two sides of a 2x4... then drill a couple of water bottle mount holes, trim and install. I like the plastic better than aluminum or any other metal... Mostly because it flexes just enough to absorb and diffuse some of the stresses that are induced by a battery searching for freedom. Better to have the trough flex than to break the water bottle bosses. I also liked the ABS because it is relatively cheap and very easy to form, cut and drill.. I did make one out of aluminum, but ditched it for above reasons.

Comment

Update, I recently upgraded my bike from an 02 to an HD motor. At the same time I purchase one of the 6AH PF "Cube" batteries (not really a cube, but that what it's called :-)) Anyway, I found that my trough is long enough to accommodate one or two cubes... So now for my 10 mile RT commute I can use one cube,(see my post on how I upgraded and lost weight in the builders section) When I go riding on the weekend I should be able to stack a second one in the trough on top or the first one. My plan is to make a relatively stiff foam divider that will have a slot for the wires to exit between the packs. When adding a second pack, I'll put it in wires down so that the output ends of the batteries are facing eachother. The foam will be between them and the wires will route out through the slot. Add a parallel connector and bada-bing. At least that's the plan :-)
            Oh...and the HD is great. Had to change the controller settings to tame the beast a bit, but very happy with the net results. (see thread on BBSHD programming).. Just wish that Luna made a 46 tooth chain ring for the Eclipse... Nobody makes a good 46t chain ring :-(

Comment

Arboh can you write more about the difference between the BBS02 and BBSHD? I have an 02 and am considering the HD.
              Is it louder/quieter? More/less efficient?

Comment

You bet.
                This is my experience. Others may differ.
                Sound level is no different.
                Efficiency level... I don't monitor this in a controlled way, so I really cannot say. I will tell you that with more power on tap...I tend to use it ...especially up hills:-) Which eats up amp-hrs pretty quickly.
                The BBSHD definitely has more power. Once I reprogrammed my controller settings, that extra power was useful and "friendly" relative to my style of riding. Before I reprogrammed it, I did not really like it. For my taste, the controller profile was too aggressive and I felt like the bike was riding me instead of the other way around.
                One of my primary goals was to upgrade reliability and toughness. My commute involves 600 ' of elevation loss and gain with each trip. I'll be riding a lot in the cold rain. From all of the reports, and looking at the construction, it seemed that the HD would be a more reliable commuter setup.
                So far so good.
                Also, you may see a thread about vibration in the HD at top cadence. I notice this too, and believe that it is "normal" for all HD units. "Normal" meaning that it is an anomaly that occurs on all or nearly all HD units due to design. It's really not bothersome, just odd. It is a very low frequency vibration. My GUESS is that it is some sort of magnetic field resonance going on.
                All in all, I am glad that I upgraded. I definitely got more useable power for the hills, and from other user reports, the HD should be a bit more robust and abuse tolerant than the 02. Not to say anything bad about the 02, The HD is just a step up.

Comment

If you keep the HD down-shifted to keep the rpm's up, it can be very efficient. However, since it has more torque, it can carry a taller gear without overheating, so...it can go up a steep hill faster than the BBS02.

We certainly are not required to up shift and ride up a hill faster, but...on the HD, it is an option that the BBS02 doesn't have.

Comment

Working...
                  X