My old Schwinn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old Schwinn

I now have nearly 1,000 miles on this old Schwinn since I converted it to an ebike. It has a Bafang 750w mid-drive with a 52v 13ah battery. I ride for at least an hour every day and I've lost 20 pounds from the exercise. I turned down the assist so that level 1 is about 250 watts peak, level 2 is about 350 watts, and level 3 is about 500 watts. I also removed the speeds limits in the lower levels. That way I can pedal around at 15-20 MPH with 250-350 watts of assist and get some good exercise. At level 9 I've had it up to 34 MPH and it was still climbing. It felt pretty unsafe, so I backed off.

Looks good. I laugh when I hear that you can't lose weight on an ebike.

Comment

Originally posted by MaplewoodGeek View Post
      I now have nearly 1,000 miles on this old Schwinn since I converted it to an ebike. It has a Bafang 750w mid-drive with a 52v 13ah battery. I ride for at least an hour every day and I've lost 20 pounds from the exercise. I turned down the assist so that level 1 is about 250 watts peak, level 2 is about 350 watts, and level 3 is about 500 watts. I also removed the speeds limits in the lower levels. That way I can pedal around at 15-20 MPH with 250-350 watts of assist and get some good exercise. At level 9 I've had it up to 34 MPH and it was still climbing. It felt pretty unsafe, so I backed off.
      It's funny how just turning the pedals even without pushing is good for getting your aerobic capability up

When I first started riding I could barely walk down a long hallway without getting winded. My knee on my "bad" leg couldn't even flex to 90°. I could barely turn the pedals much faster than 50-60rpm. Didn't make it all that far on one full battery.

After a few months on my first bike (rear hub) that I turned the pedals but not really pushing my knee had improved remarkably and I could at least walk without getting winded

After building my BBSHD bike which definitely promoted pushing harder I was slowly getting much better aerobic capability and leg strength improved a lot. After a few years even past 60yrs old and disabled I'm far more fit than 90+% of my peers... I can turn the pedals at 70-80rpm all day and now hit peaks in the 110-120rpm range... battery usage has gone way down (range way up) since I'm contributing so much more.

I'm likely about the same weight as when I got into the bikes - it's gone up and down and the biking doesn't seem to have much influence on that - more how much and what I consume...

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post

It's funny how just turning the pedals even without pushing is good for getting your aerobic capability up

When I first started riding I could barely walk down a long hallway without getting winded. My knee on my "bad" leg couldn't even flex to 90°. I could barely turn the pedals much faster than 50-60rpm. Didn't make it all that far on one full battery.

After a few months on my first bike (rear hub) that I turned the pedals but not really pushing my knee had improved remarkably and I could at least walk without getting winded

After building my BBSHD bike which definitely promoted pushing harder I was slowly getting much better aerobic capability and leg strength improved a lot. After a few years even past 60yrs old and disabled I'm far more fit than 90+% of my peers... I can turn the pedals at 70-80rpm all day and now hit peaks in the 110-120rpm range... battery usage has gone way down (range way up) since I'm contributing so much more.

I'm likely about the same weight as when I got into the bikes - it's gone up and down and the biking doesn't seem to have much influence on that - more how much and what I consume...
        I've only been doing this for a couple of months and I can definitely pedal harder now. I'm 59 years old and work from home. So I basically sit all day. Riding for an hour a day has made a huge difference in my fitness. I keep trying to lower the pedal assist amount more and more and see how high I can get my range.

I've even used the programming cable to reduce the assist in the lower levels. The default in level 1 was 52%. I have it down to 25% for level 1, 33% for level 2, and 43% for level 3. I now ride at level 2 which is lower assist than the stock level 1. I also raised the speed limit for the levels. Level 1 used to cut off at 10 MPH. That made the lower levels useless. Give me a small amount of assist no matter the speed and I'll manage things by downshifting and pedaling harder. Makes me work a little bit.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha... my level 1 is 6%, 2 is 9%, 3 12% =]

I keep the speed limits in all at 100%... I really don't like the controller trying to speed limit, totally don't see the point... if I want to slow down I just decrease the PAS level
      Working...
      X