Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surly Troll with BBSHD and 48 Volt battery.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surly Troll with BBSHD and 48 Volt battery.........

So far, I'm loving my bike. In case anyone is planning to build something similar:

Medium sized Surly Troll frame
    Nexus 8 IGH
    Busch Muller Luxos B headlight (really like this light)
    Busch Muller Toplight Plus rear light
    Schmidt Son 28 dynamo hub
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires
    Lekkie 42 tooth bling ring
    BB7 front disc
    Roller brake in rear

The motor fit perfectly without any bottom bracket spacers. The Lekkie chain ring gives perfect chain line. It feels like the kit was made for this bike.
    I am not using a shift sensor. It is easy enough to stop pedaling and then shift. The dynamo runs my lights. The battery is just for the motor.

Hills that used to kick my forty seven year old ass, this bike eats them up like they were nothing. I feel like a super hero on this thing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JBoyd; 08-06-2016, 08:05 AM.

Nice bike. Front suspension would be on my wish list

Comment

My "go to" first suggestion is almost always to get a suspension seat-post, but...I see you already have one! Awesome, thanks for posting. I am seeing frequent questions about what bike to get, and since yours appears to have come together very easily and worked out well together, that makes it a top choice. I will be curious to see how the IGH endures with the BBSHD, and I am also curious about the rear brake, what are the details, and how do you like it?

Comment

When I originally built the bike, I wasn't very familiar with the internal brake / roller brake in the Nexus hub. I got it thinking it would be good to have everything enclosed because of the salty cruddy roads in the winter here in Vermont. I have been riding it for two years without any problems but I would prefer a disc brake in the rear. I can't lock up the rear if I wanted to. But, it does slow me down and needs no maintenance but a once a year greasing.

My plan, if I blow up this Nexus hub will be to switch to a new Nexus with a disc brake. The Nexus hub is really nice, no need of a rear derailleur, straight chain line all the time, no need to clean a cassette, I haven't had any issues with it, etc....

Comment

I'm building a BBSHD Surly ECR. The Ogre and the ECR are identical frames, but the ECR can handle 29+ tires. I'm currently awaiting parts, but I ordered the 73-100 mm motor thinking that there may be some interference with the chain stays. What size did you use that fit so perfectly? My order haven't shipped, so I still have a chance to irder the smaller size if that is appropriate.

Comment

My Troll has a 73 mm BB. I ordered the "standard" - 68-73 mm version.
            Last edited by JBoyd; 08-05-2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get the smaller BB size.

Comment

This is just an update. I now have 112 miles on this build and I have had zero problems. I love this bike. It does exactly what I ask of it. My average speed has been 15 m.p.h and my max is 28 m.p.h.

In case anyone is curious, my daily commute is ten miles of up and down some steep hills in and around Burlington, Vermont. The bike is geared for climbing, not speed. I ride a dedicated paved bike path for the majority of it. I don't use the throttle at all and ride around in pedal assist, usually set to three or four out of nine. I will crank it up to five to get up some of the steeper hills. I usually charge my battery every other day.

This bike is a heavy beast with an all steel frame and fork, Nexus IGH, rack, bag, my laptop, chain lock, minimal tools, motor and battery. I haven't weighed it but it feels like it is at least sixty pounds. But, it handles great and the motor doesn't complain.

The only thing I plan on changing is the rear brake. I plan to remove the roller brake and put on some old XTR rim brakes that I have had sitting around. With this amount of weight on these hills the roller brake doesn't do much.

Last edited by JBoyd; 09-02-2016, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But, I thought I would update the info on this bike:

I rebuilt the bike over the holidays due to a chain that exploded way too easily, in my opinion. I found that a mounting plate for my kick stand slightly interfered with the motor. Taking a Dremel tool the mounting plate allowed the motor to get a bit closer to the frame and likely be more square to the frame. I removed the roller brake from the Nexus hub and put on some older XTR V brakes with salmon colored Kool Stop pads. I replaced the stretched and exploded 9 speed Shimano chain with a KMC Z510 BMX / Single speed chain. I changed the rear sprocket to a 19 tooth, had a 22 before.

The bike rides really nice. The chain is much quieter than before and I have more confidence in this KMC chain. My average speed is still between 15 and 16 MPH. But, my top speed is now 32 and I can easily maintain that on flat ground. The rear brake is worlds better than the roller brake that I had before. I can now stop this heavy beast easily.

Still digging this bike. Cheers.

Comment

I love Surly Frames for ebikes. My 1 x 1 with a Pugsley fork has a bombproof steel frame, horizontal dropouts for my IGH, and can fit fat tires tires or 24-29 inch wheels. BBSHD 73 mm was a perfect fit and there is a great chain line. Next project a Surly Wednesday with front suspension and huge battery pack for exploring the PCT in Ca and Oregon.

Comment

Yeah, I like the strength of the Troll frame and having the option of running fat tires if I desire. I will probably try the 3.0 inch Knard at some point. I feel like the Troll is sort of the Swiss army knife of bike frames.
                    Last edited by JBoyd; 04-13-2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

FYI, The PCT has been closed to all bicycles since 1988........ This ruling was reaffirmed on Nov 25 2013.
                      Last edited by Lance Tesla; 01-24-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Looks very nice.

What size tire are you running? I think the frame is capable of 26" x3".

Do you think front suspension would be beneficial?

Have you considered a rear-view mirror?

Where do you mount your water bottle(s)?

Comment

• JBoyd
                          JBoyd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I tried riding with rear view mirrors a few years ago and never found one I liked. I am cool with looking behind me. I don't ride in traffic very often; my commute to work is primarily on a dedicated bike path that is away from the main roads.

Tires: Currently, 26x2.0 Schwalbe Marathons Touring tires. I love them. When it is time to replace them I am thinking of running with these: http://surlybikes.com/parts/tires/ex...trial_26_x_2.5 I will just need to figure out a bigger fender solution.

Water Bottles: This is my dedicated commuter. My commute is short enough that I don't need to carry water. But, the Troll frame has a zillion braze-ons to mount just about anything. I could mount them on the fork. under the down tube, etc...

Suspension: So far, after 200 miles or so, I am fine with the solid fork. If I want more cushion I will likely go with bigger tires.
                          Last edited by JBoyd; 04-13-2017, 07:33 AM.

• LI-ghtcycle
                          LI-ghtcycle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          +1 on balloon tires for suspension, I went from OR City to Ft Stephens State Park in Oregon (244 miles round trip over 3 - 4 days never even done a Centry prior and I rode in complete comfort!), with 150lbs of bike (all my food and camping gear + tools) on a Vision R40 recumbent, and even accidentally hit the 4in "curb" along the Banks Vernonia (transitions to some bridges are VERY abrupt) at about 25 mph, never had a problem! I am going to be 45 this year, and in future, I might opt for suspension forks and a suspension saddle (brooks has been making them since 1866, I think they have a few things figured out ;-) but for now, just a good leather brooks and Scwalbe Big Apple (26 x 2.3) is all I have ever needed. Of course on a good recumbent with "hammock" style seat, you're already in a VERY comfortable riding position (think Lazy Boy!) and all bumps are just soaked up in the hammock netting & memory foam padding. In the more "upright" bike world, I am equally comfortable on a stretched cruiser (you can also get this effect with a shorter wheelbase "comfort" bike like a KHS smoothy or electra towney or one of their many cruisers). I have a 1950 - 1960's JC Higgins in the garage that belongs to my father, funny how the "comfort bike craze" is really just what a good solid average bike made by a company in the earlier days, comfortable saddles, up-right bars, none of the "tour de France" joe racer nonsense! ;-) Everything on this bicycle still works, 3 spd, rim brakes, and springer saddle, and it was NOT well maintained by my father, yet it's still there, and works fine for when we have a guest visiting that just needs a pedal bike to borrow. :D http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...2528_large.jpg

I love the handlebars. I ride a regular mountain bike off road and one guy in our group uses something similar since a past wrist surgery. He swears by them.

Comment

• JBoyd
                          JBoyd commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, my wrists are bad from years of skateboarding and snowboarding. I love the Jones loop bars with Ergon grips, super comfy.

• LI-ghtcycle
                          LI-ghtcycle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Another great handlebar type to check out are "Trekking" or "butterfly" handlebars, they have a built in "suspension" to where you have your hands near the controls, but have nearly endless different positions you can hold them as you ride along http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/handlebars.html These are the same kind of bars I have on my Muddy Fox, you can leave them bare if like me you like wearing gloves, or wrap them just like drop-down bars.

I've been thinking long and hard about my next build, and at this point the Surly World Troller frame (with S&S Machine couplers) and Rohloff hub are the primary ingredients.

I'd like to have a bike that could be made to fit in a typical car trunk (on very rare occasions). Yep, been looking at the Montague too.

I haven't made it past the planning part yet, though, mainly because of the cost ... Yikes!

Comment

Working...
                        X