Older Raleigh 26" MTB Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older Raleigh 26" MTB Build

Here's a couple of pics of my first mid drive build. I went with the BBS02B and 48 tooth chain ring. I went with a 48 volt 17 Amp battery. I'm running a custom program with the current limit set at 18 amps. I only have 62 miles on it but so far so good.

That's a nice clean looking build!

Comment

Originally posted by BadBac View Post
      That's a nice clean looking build!
      Thank you! I think the cable routing is the key to a clean look.

Comment

I'd like to see a front disc brake going on there. I prefer the proven Avid BB7 cable brake to low end hydraulics. 180-200mm rotor , and EBC metallic pads.

Comment

Nice build Hf, a lot easier with the older MTB's, less to fit around I assume? I love those bikes, have a few solid fork ones here. I have a steel Trek from the early 00's and have my mind on converting that. It's too heavy as a road bike, Lord only knows how it performed as a mountain bike, but it will make a good easy conversion. It has the rim brakes of course like yours does and they are ok. Professional road racing has used them for ever.

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            Proffessional road racing runs on puny tires and the bikes and riders tend to be puny also. If you have been paying attention they very often run into each other because they can't stop. They are on closed roads, with no cars, and everyone is going in the same direction. They also all have an understanding of what the rider next to them is and isn't supposed to do. No hard stops is a big part of that understanding.
            I've run my Ebike with 180mm and 200mm front disc brakes. I never bothered with 160mm. The 200mm brakes are worth having.So are the metallic pads.
            This is based on 3 years of riding a 1500W BBSHD in Urban South Florida. The pro bikes are starting to run disc brakes. They took time to adopt them because they were afraid of what would happen if only some riders had good brakes. They used to be against the rules.

I see disc brakes here.
            https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/ru...NS-1200-80.jpg

• huffnpuff
            huffnpuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I'm familiar whith what's happening in road racing, I owned a "racer" back in the early 00's and hated it, it wasn't the brakes so much as the lack of traction with the tires. When they all go to disc brakes they better go to wider tires too or there will be some nice lowsides. If you ride heavy electric at speeds over 30km/h I would imagine you'd need disc brakes but I will be sticking with low powered motors, 750W or 1000W and with gearing that is low. I regularly ride a rim brake Giant Yukon from the early 00's and it pulls up fine, the secret is to keep the speed down, especially down hills.

If I keep my speeds down I wont need the disc brake advantage and I can certainly do without the hassle of converting wheels and forks and all the rest of the system. If I ever build a speed bike I'll certainly do it on a disc brake platform but my BMW 1000RR is what I ride when I want to pull G's, cycling for me is just all about exercise.

That's something the majority of riders forget when they get into cycling I think. They go in for the health aspects but get sucked into the "Roadie" sphere and end up on some $5000 racer in a pack of 20 other bikes all going at high speed around sketchy suburban streets. They have to ride twice the distance that I do for the same exercise value because the bikes are so efficient. Marketing companies were smart when they rebranded Racers as Roadies because girls generally aren't interested in racing. I knew a girl who died under the back wheels of a B-Double semitrailer here and I wonder if she hadn't been on those dicky little 120PSI tires would she have darted off into the verge and avoided her death? That's what I like about 2-inch+ tires, you are not limited to the blacktop.

Nice build, but upgrade you're front brake to disc brake if you ride on public roads!!! The attachment is already on the fork, new hub with at least 180 disc and hydrolic calliper. The V-brake and the rim will wear quite quickly. Change it and you will feel the difference. You don't want to wake up in the hospital because you're brake system wasn't working properly. Don't think only about the speed.

Comment

Working...
          X