X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charge Cooker Mid-Fat Commuter - BBSHD

My bike: 2016 Charge Cooker Midi 2 Blue

http://www.chargebikes.com/cooker-2/

Overall I'm wrapped with the build. The power exceeded all my expectations and has plenty of grunt for the very steep off-road climb I do on my commute to work each day.
    There is probably a bit much power for flat riding in the city and I'm having to think like I'm on a motorbike more than a bicycle. Christchurch drivers are not used to fast bikes as they are not common here yet.

The mid-fat bike, 27 Plus wheels, choice of bike is perfect for converting for my type of commute as the frame, incredible tyre grip etc works well. One wouldn't normally commute on this type of bike due to the drag of fat tyres, low gearing of stock drive train etc.

Adaptions/issues/suggestions:

1. Had to space BB out 5mm as motor housing hit chain stay.

2. Returned sprocket's offset made it unusable, but it turned out the standard 46T one works well and I wouldn't go any less teeth or offset (19mm offset I think).

3. The battery chassis is only flimsy plastic, especially near the locking bolt. It only just fits the frame and just hits the seat stay. I had to grind off the small bottle screw boss that's on the seat stay to stop it rubbing. May also need too find a way to strengthen the chassis mounting as only two bolts hold it on.

4. The standard bolts damaged the casing. I didn't realise at first. See image attached. Luckily I was able to modify some other bolts with less of a head on them. (I would recommend you provide bolts to avoid this issue for customers.)

5. When I slide my battery on there is an audible arc/spark as the contacts touch. This could be highly dangerous if the bike was near fuel fumes, like in my shed when the lawnmower has been leaking petrol, or someone could be fitting their batter at a Gas station. Why does the pack not have an isolating switch like other battery packs do? I will probably wire one in for piece of mind on my bike, if not just to know the bike can't power up by its-self if the solid-state switch fails.

6. I removed battery wiring plug as it was not needed, wired in lights and ran 5 core audio cable to handlebars for fused supply of lights, camera, horn etc in the future.

7. The display input password feature doesn't actually stop the bike from being powered up? I started biking, powered up and the bike took off, despite prompting for password.

8. I converted the drive-train to 8sp to take advantage of the cheaper, thicker chain and cassette common for 8 speed setups.

9. Fitted an old front derailleur to stop my chain bouncing off going down hill.

Hey, nice setup! What size BBSHD did you use here? 100mm?

Comment

• eCooker
      eCooker commented
      Editing a comment
      Just the standard width.

Hey, I have the charge cooker Maxi 1 and am planning on installing BBsHD. For your bike what is the size of the bottom bracket? which battery pack did you install? What did you to improve the battery chassis?

Cheers,

Comment

• eCooker
      eCooker commented
      Editing a comment
      Standard width. 52v pack.Nothing really,been fine. Just put a rubber seat on downtube for it to sit against when it started slogging out.

Secure the battery tray and battery to the frame better. And don't remove the battery unless you need to (to minimize sparking). This particular type of battery case has very weak and easy to damage contacts. Several posts in the past few weeks with issues there. Nice looking bike! I'd get a longer fenders if it was me, the kind that mounts closer to the tire - the ones you got will still allow the tires to throw a lot of dirt and water on your drivetrain and your feet.

Comment

Working...
    X