Raleigh Retro Cruiser with BBSO2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raleigh Retro Cruiser with BBSO2

I decided to build a BBSO2 into a cruiser frame. Looking at the Raleigh website I found they were selling discontinued or maybe last years model Retroglide 7 bikes for a good price. I didn't like the color so a trip to Home Depot scored me a rattle can of flat black paint and it painted up very nice. Flat black is great also because it is so easy to touch up it's ridiculous! Since the original paint job was pristine I merely roughed it up a bit with some steel wool so the new paint would have something to key into.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2623.JPG Views:	2 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	28649Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2663.jpg Views:	2 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	28651

I knew I had a problem when I realized that the bottom bracket was the old fashioned one piece crank design and the BBSO2 would never fit in its 2 inch diameter maw. I thought I was sunk when I soon found out that although there are adaptors available to reduce the bottom bracket to the proper diameter, I would need the new opening to be off center. The BBSO2 has only about 12 mm of space between its axle and the motor housing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2678.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	28653

Lucky for me after a ton of searching I was able to find a guy selling on Ebay and offset adaptor set for another mid drive motor called the TSDZ. The axle diameter was less on his motor though but he kindly made one to fit the Bafang after I sent him my measurement! This fit like a dream and I thought it was so important for others to know that I started a thread about it here https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...r-bmx-style-bb
    Turns out that this fellow in response has joined the forum his forum name is "Instigater"

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2683.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	28655Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2681.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	28657

Once that problem was solved the rest went together without a hitch. The BBSO2 unit installed as easy as pie. The adaptor did increase the bottom bracket width from 68 to 73 mm but a few washers on the locking plate bolts took care of that just fine. Then I gave the motor a spray of the flat black too just to stealth it up (sorry about erasing you name from the motor Luna!)

Wiring was especially easy with the plug and play connectors. This is a pretty big bike but Luna came to the rescue with a plug and play extension of the main harness which made the whole process trivial.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2756.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	28659
    I went with the Lekkie Bling ring 42T, its offset gave me a perfect chain line, the Bafang crank would have worked but it was just butt ugly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2741.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	28661

I had an unused rear rack laying around and based on an idea I got from some gas powered bikes I had seen, I installed the rack and ordered 2 inexpensive motorcycle tool bags found on Amazon (they normally attach to the front fork of a motorcycle). A perfect place to hide a Luna mini battery or two!
    I also replaced the stock seat with something I thought went with the style of the bike.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2742.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	28663
    I am extremely happy with the way it turned out!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2748.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.76 MB ID:	28665

By the way, the BBSO2, Bling Ring , and battery all purchased from Luna!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OptimusPrime; 03-15-2017, 01:15 PM.

Nicely done! Classic clean look.

Comment

That is a beautiful Bike, great job on the build,
      Love the bags, The motor looks Sweet very civilized compared to the clone
      I'll bet it is a blast to ride what kind of numbers are you doing

Comment

Thanks guys. I have only had a couple days of nice weather to test it out but I was able to put about 50 miles on it. Rides like a dream, very comfortable and smooth and pulls like a train. I was initially trying to decide between this and the HD version but this BBSO2 has more than enough power for me.

Comment

I never liked the concept of rear rack batteries until I saw those tool bags, very cool, classy build all the way around.

Comment

Awesome build! Shame you painted over the frame's original paint, which I thought looked great. But different strokes for different folks. Looks great the way it turned out.

Very nice BB shell adapter you put in. I saw another cruiser build from a frame with a one-piece crank, and that guy actually shaved away part of the BBS motor housing to make it work with the larger BB shell. Those adapters there are a great option if they become more widely available.

Comment

It was a beautiful pearlescent finish but it didn't go with the look I wanted. On the adaptors, yes I am encouraging Luna to talk to the guy about getting some.

Comment

Ah yes I just read your thread about the adapters and saw that the guy I was referring to made plenty of posts in there as well. Carry on!

Comment

Is there any way for you to find out if the head tube is the one-inch interface, or the 1-1/8th inch interface?

Comment

Sweet build. I did a very similar build with a 2-stroke gas bike motor a number of years ago. (Trek made a very similar frame in aluminum with very slightly more modern components, already in flat black.) It rode very nicely, but the brakes were terrible. I had a caliper on the front and a coaster on the rear -- not nearly sufficient. There's no way I'm going to do another powered bike without proper binders.

I eventually traded it to a mechanic for a trailer hitch, and it's still on the road ten years later. He claims that he's put at least 10k miles on the thing, and replaced most of the moving parts -- but the old cruiser frame is still going. They are a pretty tough package -- they were the original mountain bikes. In "repack races," in the '60's and '70's, they'd get the rear coaster so hot it sometimes caught fire!

Comment

Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
                      Is there any way for you to find out if the head tube is the one-inch interface, or the 1-1/8th inch interface?
                      it's 1-1/8

Comment

Awesome build, me likey lots.

Comment

Very nice. A beautiful and clean bike. It has a complete, finished look.

Comment

Would you mind if i wrote an article about your ebike for electricbike.com?

Comment

Cool buld dude

Comment

Working...
                              X