Lightspeed Unicoi BBSHD conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightspeed Unicoi BBSHD conversion

After riding the full suspension ebike (my first ebike conversion) on my 20 mile road/trail ride (mostly road), I decided to convert the f/s back to it's former self for trail riding. I wanted the replacement to have some rear suspension and front suspension. I bought a 2001 Lightspeed Unicoi soft tail as a replacement. The later Unicoi's use a 1" travel rear shock vs elastometers. The bike was pretty well equipped with Shimano xtr m960 9 speed components, Rockshox sid front shock, Risse rear shock, and Crossmax ust tubeless rims. I replaced the old tires with Vrendestein T-lope ust tubeless 26x2.0 cross country tires and new rotors. Also went with a longer stem and offset seatpost. I'll also be swapping out the Fizik Nisene for a Ergon SRX3-S cyclecross/road saddle. The Ergon site has a seat selector to suggest which one of their seats would work the best based on your riding style and your body weight etc. Thought I'd give it a try.
    The BBSHD conversion was straight forward. I decided to forgo the ebrake since it's a pain to set up. I modified the display mount and located the display next to the stem. I used the small aluminum battery box off the f/s and the mighty mini battery. The front chainring is the Lekkie 42T and the rear cassette is a 11/32. Weight with the battery is 39 lbs.

Nice job! That's a unique way to mount the display. I like that, subtle and out of the way. How did you do that battery mount? Is it mounted to the water bottle cage somehow? Any mileage numbers from the mini yet?

Comment

I made an aluminum box for the battery. It's mounted to the frame using the existing bottle cage holes. Mainly used on the road with some trail riding. Low pass settings, p1 7%, p2 15%, p3 22%. Range is 45 miles+.

Comment

• OptimusPrime
        OptimusPrime commented
        Editing a comment
        That's amazing mileage for such a small battery! Good stuff!

I cut the stock display mount in half and turned the display 90d. The stem was too large to use a screw to clamp the mount, so I cut the screw mounts off and used double stick tape to hold the mount in place.

Comment

• OptimusPrime
        OptimusPrime commented
        Editing a comment
        Really nice mod!

Nice ride. The bike must be quick with the minimal rear travel. I'm on a Specialized Epic with 3" travel "brain" shock. So mine has minimal squat when you throttle or use high level of assist. Your is real light at 39 pounds. I need to check the weight on mine.

Comment

I re-weight it, 41 lbs with mighty mini battery. Knowing now how I ride this bike I could have gone with the bbs02 for less weight, (-3 lbs?), and a carbon fibre rigid fork would have shed another 2+ lbs compared to the SID. I use this bike for road/gravel/trail ride, so I'll keep the front shock. If it was just for the road/gravel, I'd consider the Redshift suspension stem instead of a suspension fork. You could also save more weight with lighter shifters.
        I have enough bike parts laying around to build another one, so I'm looking for a frame.

Comment

Working...
        X