Another REI Novarra-BBSHD-52v Shark install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another REI Novarra-BBSHD-52v Shark install

Install done by Chalo, a very qualified e-bike mechanic here in Austin. He did a superb job, and it was very inexpensive compared to the time and frustration I would have endured doing it myself. I took one look at all the pieces and decided not to attempt the install. Tom at Luna (awesome guy and a passionate customer service rep) recommended Chalo from the ES boards.

It might help the industry if someone compiled a list of mechanics in every city. Most potential e-bike customers do not have the expertise to do a proper DIY install, and not knowing where to turn for help is likely a big stumbling block.

That's got to be a fun commuter.
    I have a full suspension MTB with exactly that drivetrain, so I know how well that combo works.

Comment

Indeed, the BBSHD is a great piece of technology. A friend of mine bought a German e-bike that looks great but is slower, noisier and twice the price. A few things I would recommend:

1) Front shocks. Bumps and cracks in the road are a lot more jarring at high speeds than I ever expected (you hardly feel them riding at normal speeds). I find myself gripping the handles a lot tighter and focusing harder on the road right in front of me, because losing grip at that speed would be a disaster, especially in traffic. It only seems to affect the front wheel though. I don't feel any difference in the saddle or back wheel at all.
      2) Don't buy a right thumb throttle if your rear gear shifters are also on the right, otherwise you can't shift while maintaining throttle. On hills this comes into play a lot. Get a left thumb throttle or at least a twist throttle (and don't agonize over thumb vs. twist like I did, it's pretty insignificant).
      3) For first-timers: if you're not a bike mechanic or hardcore DIY'er, find one that knows e-bikes and get them to do it. My install cost $100 after tip which is not much to get a $2k bike & kit done right.
      Last edited by CraigAustin; 04-04-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah,

Nice one!

Has an uncomplicated and "clean" look.

That Shark pack seated nicely into that bottom corner of the frame.

I like the subdued, industrial seeming colors, too; like black, gray, charcoal, silver, etc.

The rack might look a little better on the bike with a light spray, power coat, or anodizing of flat or satin charcoal/black, if you like the full black-out treatment that is somewhat popular on trucks lately.
        Last edited by Christian Livingstone; 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks Christian. Full credit to Chalo for the install and REI for the bike color. Totally agree on the rack, I was too impatient to wait a few weeks for a black one to arrive so I'll have to spray it myself!

Comment

Just took my bike out for it's first true range test. It survived 16-17 miles of rolling hills in PAS 5 before dropping dead. I used throttle very sparingly, maybe 5 minutes total, just to get moving after stop signs and lights or up steep hills.

While range is a bit disappointing, it's really powerful for a tiny bike motor that you can barely see or hear. My speed dropped quite a bit on steeper hills, but it cleared them all without much riding effort. On the few decent flats it held 30 mph (48 kph) without throttle. Most importantly I didn't break a sweat, so riding 9 miles each way to meet a friend for lunch is a joy not a workout - until it dies, then it's a workout!
            Last edited by CraigAustin; 04-08-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

If it's cold where you're at right now, when the temp comes up some the range may be better.

And, gee, while I'm looking at the rack in the photo, if you aren't going to use panniers, I'd cut that horizontal hoop off and grind/file the two weld spots smooth before painting. But that's just my opinion.
              Last edited by Christian Livingstone; 04-08-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks Christian! Keeping my options open at the moment, figuring out what I need back there. It's warm already in Austin, but I'm definitely curious to see how it handles 100-degree humid summers.

Comment

Hey there! Clean bike, was wondering what size sproket is on there? I have a commuter and I'm using a 48 tooth front

Comment

Working...
                  X