BBSHD on Surly Straggler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD on Surly Straggler

Hello to everyone it's my first post here, I wanted to share my recent build of Surly Straggler, I assembled it on my own and I am pretty satisfied how it turned out, it's a very fun bike to ride and also fast :))

Specs:
    Frame: Surly Straggler 60cm
    Gears: Shimano Alfine 8 IGH
    Brakes: Tektro Draco 2
    Seat: Brooks Flyer
    Chain: KMC X1
    Rims: 29" DT Swiss
    Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple

Bafang BBSHD with 52v 14AH battery, stock 46T chain ring
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dlz; 06-04-2017, 03:46 AM.

I like your taste in quality parts. Surly, Shimano, Tektro, KMC, DT Swiss, Schwalbe, etc. That will make for a safe, durable and reliable rig. Enjoy your rides.

Comment

Thanks a lot, actually until two or three months ago I didn't know anything about bikes (also e-bikes) but I did a lot of research and hoped for the best when I put it all together, luckily the functionality of the bike and riding position turned out to be just like I wanted.

Comment

Your research paid off. It is always nice to reap the benefits of all that hard work with a fast, easy ride. So fun.

Comment

Yeap, definitely :)

I have a question though, what are the options for additionally fixing the shark pack to the frame? I like to go off road and I found somewhere (maybe even on this forum?) a solution to take a rubber strap used for scuba diving, which is actually great and I got two of them. Still there is some annoying rattle if I am pushing a little harder on the bumps, I already broke all except two of those tabs on the battery that should slide into the holder and I would really like not to think about the battery while riding.. What the guys who mount it to the mtb do?

Comment

Originally posted by dlz View Post
            Yeap, definitely :)

I have a question though, what are the options for additionally fixing the shark pack to the frame? I like to go off road and I found somewhere (maybe even on this forum?) a solution to take a rubber strap used for scuba diving, which is actually great and I got two of them. Still there is some annoying rattle if I am pushing a little harder on the bumps, I already broke all except two of those tabs on the battery that should slide into the holder and I would really like not to think about the battery while riding.. What the guys who mount it to the mtb do?
            It seems to me that two Velcro straps https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-.../dp/B00006IC2R or https://www.amazon.com/Zelta-Elastic...AVGMDJRVSCAMZH, attached tightly, would serve well for this task.

Comment

• ykick
              ykick commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve used a lot of utility straps for securing battery packs (and many items) over the years. You can really cinch things down with these as opposed to Velcro which is often hard to get very tight - http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-Ozark-Tr...r/322306245066

• dlz
              dlz commented
              Editing a comment
              What I found is this: https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Snorkel.../dp/B007PHNYYA

And it helps definitely but still there is some rattle, I was thinking if there is some way to modify the holder itself (I saw that some people say the holder for Dolphin pack is much better) but in the end I think that I am just going to pad it with something and I think it will be ok.. Thanks for the help

I am about to attempt my first e-bike conversion with a Surly Straggler 650b. Yours is the only example I've been able to find. It looks great. Are you still liking it? Any words of wisdom for a first-timer?

I actually really like the bike the way it is now and I'm a little bit afraid that I will screw it up by trying to convert it. I've considered picking up a cheap donor bike for my first try. But, the kit itself wasn't exactly cheap (Bbshd, 52v battery), so I figure I should just go all in and put it on a set up that I really like. I'm hoping to use it as a commuter.

Comment

Working...
            X