BBSHD on a 2017 Electra Lux Fat Tire Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBSHD on a 2017 Electra Lux Fat Tire Cruiser

This is my third conversion in 2 months, so I've got the electric bike fever pretty bad. I saw this bike in my LBS and thought it would be a great project as I like to cruise the local beach where I grew up. I initially researched doing a hub motor, but didn't see a way to do that without having to lace a rim, so I decided on a BBSHD. With the help of the many builds of this bike on this forum, I was confident I could do this as my first mid drive conversion. The initial challenge was to "dimple" the seat tube and the down tube to accommodate the large motor. I made a rig using leftover parts from a flat screen TV kit and some hardware from Lowe's. I progressively tightened the bolts until I felt there was enough room, and after I hit the bar with a hammer a few times. The motor fit perfectly!

I ordered the Mighty Mini battery from Luna as a temporary setup until I can build a battery box in the triangle that will resemble a V-twin engine, similar to what I've seen on the Vintage Electric Bikes. I used a 100mm BBSHD and had some chain alignment issues with the Bafang chainring, but a Luna Eclipse solved that and looks way better. I also stained a piece of plywood gray and mounted it with nutserts to add some character. A chrome vintage headlight would look good too, if I can fine one. Electra is sold out of theirs.

I'll post photos once I build my battery box for the 48v Dolphin pack.
    Dimple rig the amount of movement needed is small- this is the upside down seat tube Downtube dimple
    Last edited by Burkebiker; 2 weeks ago.

Looks great! Doing the same soon. Bike ordered.

Just what I was planning to do for the battery. Is it a tight fit between the springs?

Also, was thinking it would be cool to run the wires from the battery down through the seat post and drill a hole somewhere at the bottom of the triangle.

Any chance you could measure the upper triangle where you put the plywood? Looking to get a frame bag for that location.

Thanks

Comment

• Burkebiker
      Burkebiker commented
      Editing a comment
      The length of the top triangle is 43cm, and the maximum depth is 14cm. Let me know if that was not what you needed. And the Luna seatpost bag is awesome!
      Last edited by Burkebiker; 2 weeks ago.

Worked on the battery box today. Rather than doing a cardboard mockup, I decided to use thin plywood. My neighbor says he will make an aluminum box, be he needs to see an example. I figure I can use the plywood box and see if changes are needed.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not set up to weld Al, but I have made eight battery boxes using aluminum and rivets. Will your neighbor be welding the Al?

• Burkebiker
      Burkebiker commented
      Editing a comment
      He owns a large machine shop and can weld Al. I just need to show him what I want. The ones I really like are cast rather than welded. Got any pics of yours?

Originally posted by Burkebiker View Post
    Worked on the battery box today. Rather than doing a cardboard mockup, I decided to use thin plywood. My neighbor says he will make an aluminum box, be he needs to see an example. I figure I can use the plywood box and see if changes are needed.
    Worked on the box more today. Now I just need to re install the chain guard with the piece I got from Velo Orange. that leaves the headlight, which Electra doesn't have available right now.

Comment

I just finished my batt box too. Did not like the solar heat build from aluminum, so glued fiber panels on to resist heat. They do not conduct the heat so ambient air keeps surface and box cool. The bags in the back hide a 11.5 ah 52 volt batt. And the box contains a 20ah batt. 100 mile range. Might throw on a rack in the front to hold another 13.5 ah.
      Last edited by Gr8fun; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
      X