Electric Black Art 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Black Art 2.0

Bafang BBS02 with a 52T chain ring, Luna 52v battery; SRAM Dual Drive (3-speed hub, 9 speed cassette) on the rear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03939-25x33x96.jpg Views:	1 Size:	286.6 KB ID:	47684

I originally mounted the Bafang under the handlebars, but the chain line was not good, so remounted on the BB. This resulted in a lot of jerking due to the chain length. So I added a chain tensioner made out of a Brompton CR tensioner strengthened by the addition of steel side plates. I also replaced the stationary rear jockey wheel with a TerraCycle Sport Power Idler which is much stronger. I plan to replace the front jockey wheel with an alloy aftermarket wheel.
    Last edited by amwassil; 1 week ago.

Here are the motor and battery from the left side of the bike:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03929-25x33x96.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	47736

Attached Files

Comment

That's quite the contraption and with the bizarre hybrid gearing no less. Ride forth and if that doesn't work try fifth.

Comment

Closeup of the modified Brompton CR tensioner. An attempt to smooth the power surges. Helps a lot, but doesn't eliminate the issue completely. I'd like to add more tension to the derailleur tension arm. So I'm looking for a stronger spring or a supplemental spring.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03941-33x25x96.jpg Views:	1 Size:	316.4 KB ID:	47752

Last edited by amwassil; 1 week ago.

Comment

max_volt ...with the bizarre hybrid gearing...
          Nothing unusual about the gearing. A single 52T chain ring and a standard SRAM Dual Drive (3x9). I've been experimenting with what gears I can live with and without. The 3 hub gears alone don't seem to give me quite enough ratios; the low end is OK, but I still need to shift the derailleur up to get a good top end (30+ mph). With the motor, I don't particularly like the derailleur and would prefer all the gearing in the hub. So maybe a Shimano 7 or 8-speed would work. I like the idea of a 7 speed with it's slightly heavier/stronger chain. The motor puts a lot of stress on the chain.

Possibly, you're looking at the modified Brompton CR chain tensioner and thinking it has something to do with gearing. It does not. It functions simply to take up some of the chain slack immediately before the motor pulls it out. It doesn't work as well as I thought it would. I think because the derailleur tension arm spring is not as strong. If I remove links to shorten the chain, all that happens is the derailleur tension arm pulls forward. But the chain slack stays the same. So if I got rid of the derailleur I could tighten the chain a bit more, which in conjunction with the modified Brompton might help to eliminate the motor's pull/jerk when it tries to pull out the chain slack, simply because there'd be less slack to pull out.

Comment

Bafang controller C961:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03916-33x25x96.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	48108

Comment

Obusforme seatback:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03932-33x25x96.jpg Views:	1 Size:	324.7 KB ID:	48110

Comment

Bar end mirrors. I had a helmet mirror for a few years and hated it. Could never see anything. I'm very happy with these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03931-33x25x96.jpg Views:	1 Size:	340.9 KB ID:	48192

Comment

I worry about your upside down battery. Velcro straps?

Comment

calfee20 I worry about your upside down battery. Velcro straps?
                    I bought the Luna Dolphin battery partly because the core of the mount is metal. That is bolted to the aluminum square tube, which is bonded and banded to the underside of the frame. I also have a 'security' strap I tighten around both battery and mount while riding. I don't think it's going to fall off.

Comment

Working...
                    X