Say hello to my little friend…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say hello to my little friend…

Working in NYC for a while so I decided a folder might be useful.

Settled on a BBS02, plus a few Luna Mighty Mini battery packs. Then found a mint Dahon Speed 7 Chromoly frame in area for $250.

Very pleased with the result although the cold/snow snap limited maiden ride to about 6 miles. Believe it’s going to come in very handy for mixed mode commuting Bus/Train….
    Last edited by ykick; 12-25-2017, 07:02 AM.

Unfolded pics might be of interest...
    Last edited by ykick; 12-25-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Charged all Luna Mighty Mini packs and took a maiden ride on one pack but cold/snow arrived. Firm believer in NOT allowing battery packs to sit fully charged for any length of time.

More than a day or two will find a way to burn off some charge. Riding around the block is not gonna happen in this snow and since I don't have my usual arsenal of dummy loads and test gear. What to do?

Hmm, this place has an electric stove/range. Okay, how about borrowing one of the range elements to improvise a dummy load? Haha....
      Last edited by ykick; 12-25-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        More than a couple of times I've used inexpensive one coil standalone burners ($10-$12) for heavy loads and incandescent bulbs (just solder to them - who needs a socket?) for medium! They're cheap enough to be near disposable...

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        At ~50v they draw about 50^2 / 120^2 = ~17.4% of the rated power draw and 50 / 120 = ~41.7% of the current - e.g. say a 1000W (~8.3A @ 120V) burner at 50V = ~174W and ~3.47A...

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        I found time/resources to rework some XT60 dongles and managed to insert Turnigy RC power meter. Well, the large heater element draws 2A/114W.

Often used for dummy load at home. And yes it warms lunch too!

But I'm not home so it was time to improvise....
      Last edited by ykick; 12-25-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

The toaster oven is brilliant. I would never have thought of that!
        Robert

Comment

Time for a little update - racking up some miles. Enjoying this area.

For those keeping track you might notice the Cloud9 Contour saddle (It’s the seat for me, must’ve bought 5-6 for all my ebikes) also added much more rugged, larger tires.

My god those dainty thin little Dahon/Kenda branded tires couldn’t handle a small shard of glass. Oh well, as planned being a folder, it was no big deal to hop public transportation. Even though published MTA rules allow folded bikes on most busses and trains at all times, some bus drivers see ANY bicycle and may deny boarding.

Taking the suggestion of a friendly driver, 'ordered a Rockbros Folding Bike bag. Driver advised with the Dahon folded in a bag and entering a rear door there won’t ever be a problem. Easier on other passengers too since nothing will be sticking out creating a potential hazard.

Little more about the tires - TSC Valor Tire Grn/Gray 20" x 2.2" 110psi BMX tires ordered from Danscomp. Been very happy with ruggedness of almost any 20” BMX tire but forced to limit width to 2.2” for the Dahon Speed 7. Even then, gotta deflate the tires or remove a brake pad going on/off. I chose to do the former.

But, the improved ride and most of all rugged durability seem like a big improvement over stock Dahon tires. CST Cyclops would probably be a good cheap choice but these TSC Valor seem much more rugged than Cyclops and on sale only a few $$$ more.
          Last edited by ykick; 12-25-2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X