StretchTracker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StretchTracker

I’ll fill in more when I’m rested, but for now, here are three recent images. Full parade dress headed to the local 4th event, friend taking her for a spin after the parade, and an afternoon cruise stop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	86ADDFA2-1BB0-471E-8821-C7292FBEFD21.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	68857

Name:	AA729DA4-09B7-4C5E-A5E3-67CBAA18806B.jpeg
Size:	788.7 KB
ID:	68855

Name:	6AD78379-08D9-4187-AFDE-1CBF815C711C.jpeg
Size:	779.9 KB
ID:	68856

Awesome build. I bet the kids had a blast too.

Comment

Your bike makes me smile. White tires are a great choice I would not have considered, neat.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

So back to the beginning...the bike started as an old Firmstrong stretch crusier I have had for years. It’s my neighborhood go-to, and I use it for towing the kids around with me for the short jaunts of a couple miles, to events, or the store, etc. I’ve always loved the long frame, but the pedaling efficiency is simply nonexistent. It’s a torture rack. But it could look so cool, so the plan was hatched. Convert to electric power, and push the appearance and riding position into something that looks great, with total neglect for pedaling ability.

Online research led led me to Luna, and the desire for the combination of power, simplicity, and cleanliness led me to the BBSHD. I love that it’s all self contained, works with external gearing, and didn’t require extensive modifying, idler pullies, additional chains, etc. simplicity and cleanliness w3re the name of the game. The frame is so elegant, I couldn’t bare to loose it in the clutter.

The Mighty Mini battery had the max of 52v and the incredible small size I was looking for to be able to (almost) make it disappear. And it fit beautifully behind the seatpost, even being narrow enough to clearer the chain line without offset. The range (calculated 6-10mi) was acceptable, as this was for only local jaunts.

The bike came with the bent springer fork originally. It was super plush, but even under human power, you could feel it bend and flex. First thing installed is the Monarch II fork you see there. It was easy to install, and quite rigid. In fact, I am not sure the suspension is actually suspending properly and still need to figure that out.

TBC...

Comment

Great looking bike. I’ve got the same frame I’m looking to put a kit on. Did the BBSHD bolt right up or did you have to get an adapter for the bottom bracket? What kind of speeds are you getting with it?
          Last edited by JayR; 6 days ago.

Comment

• gobo333
            gobo333 commented
            Editing a comment
            It was easy. It will require the American style BB adapter available from Luna. It makes its super simple. I’ll detail a little more as I post the build. Top speed riding solo slight downhill is 38mph. For this too, I’ll share details in future posts. Glad you like it! Do it!

• JayR
            JayR commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome. That’s haulin’ the mail. 3speed works ok on the up hills? I’m in a pretty hilly area which makes my single speed stretch almost useless. Was considering a nexus 7 or 8.

• gobo333
            gobo333 commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I’ve read, the three speed is the way to go for strength. It could use a wider gearing spread IMO, but if you gear down the front chainring and adjust the rear cog to your needs, I’m sure you can find your solution. I’m very happy with the Sturmey Archer so far. Easy to adjust and quiet compared to my old nexus three speed.

As for the hills, I can’t speak to very long and steep grades, but I do scoot up the punchy hills around here in first gear at 20 mph, and up shallow but long grades in second gear at 27+ mph...towing gear and two kids in the trailer. It’s got the power at 1500W. If it was geared down further, it would be even easier. And as a reminder, I don’t pedal at all. More info on the build as I continue to post...
            Last edited by gobo333; 3 days ago. Reason: Edited due to poor pre-post editing

So I admit to being terrible about taking photos of the build. I am more interested in the building than the documenting, so most of these photos are of the final product, but I want to share for other builders looking to learn, like I was before doing this.

One nice ice thing about the firmstrong frame is the location of the bottom bracket relative to the curve of the frame, allowing the motor to mount easily inside the frame. It does require an adapter, and most importantly it MUST be eccentric. This one from Luna is press fit, and I have had no issues so far. After removing the old races, doing a couple of test fits and careful alignment, I simply drove them home with a mallet and was in business.

Turns out the chain line is spot on. Lucky me. And the wiring was very easy to manage, tucking in tight below the bottom bracket and frame. I put in a bunch of details photos for you to see if your curious.

The full bike bike images are after the motor and handlebars were mounted. This is still with the old nexus wheel set, and not much more. The final full image is me begging in to sketch out some thoughts on batter housing, front headlight and the look of boardtrack racer white wheels with black rims. The plan was to upgrade to heavy duty wheels and spokes, with the Sturmey Archer 3speed, and drum brakes front and rear. I’ll find the wheel supplier and let you know in the next post.

Comment

Working...
        X