2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH

Next up is a Crust Evasion step through frame. Budget demands that this build proceed at a snails pace, and through a few iterations.

Initial Specs: 68mm motor, 73mm bottom bracket

This bike will be primarily for guest riders and will be my third build, with the following ever-changing goals, desires, or components:
    • The Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH, to simplify the chain line and bike ride
    • Fattish tire clearance with a narrowish Q. 2-2.4" wide, 26 inch tires, such as the Schwabe Big Ben Plus on Halo SAS disc rims to reduce standover height
    • TRP Spyre cable brake calipers
    • BBS02 mid drive
    • short reach bars / stems
    • Adjustable, replaceable rear dropouts with an inboard (within the frame triangle) disk caliper mount
    • 1/8 inch chain
    • Capacity for a temporary chain tensioner
    • Steel frame tubes
    The frame has a relatively high top tube and big main triangle for a battery, and triple bottle mounts on the down tube:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	LRG_DSC08139.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	75968

Last edited by ncmired; 08-11-2019, 05:19 PM.
    BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Warning - Detour Ahead

I very much enjoy dealing with the smaller bike companies that have spunk - like Surly and Crust. Oh, and of course Luna.

Here's a Crust video I found cute, but perhaps hits too close to home for some of us:

Last edited by ncmired; 10-11-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Rider
      Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      Too funny! My brother has a Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide that is sparkle black like that bike with blue ghost flames floating in the clear coat. That's a beautiful bike and I like the mermaid too.

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      I received the frame today. It's supposed to be a dark purple.

I've a degree of red-green color blindness - it's not black, but beyond that, I can't tell what color it is. Maybe the color will reveal out in a bright sun.

Ncrkd,
    congrats on getting this build going! Super interested as I am looking to build BBSHD/Alfine-8/Gates on a Specialized AWOL. Staying tuned...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Keller View Post
      Ncrkd,
      congrats on getting this build going! Super interested as I am looking to build BBSHD/Alfine-8/Gates on a Specialized AWOL. Staying tuned...
      Welcome to the group - Bonny Doon, very pretty area!

Likely bad news on the desire for a BBSHD/Alfine-8/Gates pairing - consensus is it can't be done. BBS02, possibly yes. Reaching the very tight Alfine betline with the very broad BBSHD is the issue.
      Last edited by ncmired; 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Calculated gear-inches - not very wide and not a very low low, but hopefully good enough:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	ES-gearing.png Views:	1 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	81342

Last edited by ncmired; 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

I finally finished this build and will have some "done" pictures up in a little while. There were a few minor build nuisances. The first was with the Hailong version one Shark battery case clearance with the chain ring, solved with a a Wolf Tooth Components B-RAD Mounting Base (available with 2, 3 or 4 holes):
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20190202_164044.jpg Views:	1 Size:	746.8 KB ID:	82144

The next was with the Shimano Nexus inter-3 bellcrank and the rocker dropout - if you run into this problem on a build, buy the all-metal version of the bellcrank, from which a fair amount of material can be ground off.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1314.JPG Views:	1 Size:	763.9 KB ID:	82298

I don't like the Nexus bellcrank - it's big, clunky, and blocks use of a chain tensioner. I'm going to experiment on adapting the old, vintage Shimano 3-speed screw-on bellcrank.

A big positive - every one of the frame cable anchor points were exactly where they needed to be, and none went unused.
          Last edited by ncmired; 02-18-2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Full view - probably too much dark color in this build - oh well:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1280.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	82300

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1285.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.11 MB ID:	82301

BBS02 with Lekkie 42 tooth chainring, 160mm arms:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.JPG
Views:	847
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	82309

Rear Nexus 3-speed IGH with a Sturmey-Archer 1/8" thick 24 tooth Dished Cog, along with a TRP Spyre mechanical caliper and 160mm rotor:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1290.JPG Views:	1 Size:	974.9 KB ID:	82302

Thru-axle, TRP Spyre mechanical caliper and 180mm rotor:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1299.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	82303

Simple cockpit with a 500C display, grip throttle and shifter:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1307.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	82304

Bi-directional mermaid badge:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1300.JPG Views:	1 Size:	723.7 KB ID:	82305

Last edited by ncmired; 02-05-2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Build cost: approx. $2,400 with a Hailong1 13AH 52 volt Shark battery. Frame-up builds can be expensive, especially using low-production-run frames.
              Last edited by ncmired; 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Very nice! How’s your top speed with reasonable cadence?
                MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
                2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
                2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

Thanks! I took me quite a while to get it finished.

I've got it geared way low to start (42x24), and I loaded the 18amp soft throttle motor config and set the max speed to 23mph. Per Sheldon's (RIP) calculator 90rpm cadence is worth 17mph in third gear.

The Lekkie 42t (minimum) is pretty much a must to hit the chain line, but I do have a pile of rear cogs to play with. A 23t cog will probably be next.
                  Last edited by ncmired; 04-01-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Crust has restocked these frames (small to extra-large, and step-through), for those looking.
                    Last edited by ncmired; 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I got tired of the dark knight look - off came the Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tires and on went some white/brown Schwalbe Fat Franks. A while ago it grew a kickstand, tool/tube bag and detachable front basket.

Hey, what can I say - looks good to me but I'm colorblind:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191019_142120.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	95573

Comment

This bike is off to a new owner, though I will continue as its mechanic.
                        Last edited by ncmired; 04-15-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X