2013 Trek Rig / BBSHD / Shimano Nexus 3 IGH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Trek Rig / BBSHD / Shimano Nexus 3 IGH

A 2013 Trek Rig (large frame) Single Speed converted to a 3 speed ebike commuter.

I had purchased the Rig frame hardly used for $60 and built it up from spares and cheap parts to what turned out to be my favourite bike (while more expensive bikes sat in the shed).

Fast forward 4 years and I decided to convert it to an ebike to take the edge off a 52km return commute (I'll still ride the cyclocross commuter once or twice a week for fitness).

Donor bike:
    • Continental Mountain King 2 Front, Race King Rear, both 29x2.4 tubeless
    • Bontrager Rythm Comp Wheels
    • CarbonCycles.cc rigid carbon forks
    • Nukeproof headset with ceramic bearings (single speed + rigid is hard on them)
    • CarbonCycles.cc 710mm carbon bars
    • Truvativ Noir seat post
    • Shimano XTR Race brakes, 180mm front, 160mm rear
    • Hope bottom bracket with Race Face Ride NW crank and 32T ring
    • 19T Dice Cromo Sprocket
    • KMC Z610HX chain
    • Nukeproof Plasma Grid Saddle

Electrification/Commuterised:
    • Schwalbe G-One Speed 29x2.35 set up tubeless front and rear (I wanted the 'all-round' variant but none in stock)
    • Rear wheel build - Spank Oozy Trail 350 rim, 32 DT Swiss Alpine III spokes and Shimano Nexus 3 IGH
    • Bafang BBS03/Luna Mate BBSHD Motor
    • BSBF-1 stabiliser bar
    • Panasonic 14S4P 13.5Ah hailong/shark pack battery
    • Gear shift sensor
    • Front & Rear brake sensors
    • Luna/Bafang 500C Display
    • Lekkie 42T ring
    • 22T sprocket
    • KMC e11 EPT chain
    • Topeak Versamount bottle cage mount (to move bottle cage to front fork)

Bench tested the motor and greased it up with Aeroshell-22 then chucked it on with the rest of the parts. Originally tried a Lekkie 36T ring with a 18T sprocket - bad chainline.

Total conversion cost (not including donor bike/existing parts) $2,883.66 AUD
    Profile pic of bike Stabiliser mount detail Pre-ebikafication Chain line is pretty close

Nice Build! Also, looking to convert a 07 gary fisher rig. Do you think the 3-speed internal hub is necessary?

Comment

I'm not the OP But I did convert a different Gary Fisher.
      I find multigears useful for 2 reasons. Sometimes you need to ride slow around pedestians etc. other times you need an overdrive to "run for it" in traffic. Also it allows you to find a comfortable cadence in various situations. You could probably build a 1 speed and have the same top end speed as long as you can pedal 140rpm.

Comment

Working...
      X