Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wklatt
    replied
    Yes, seems the direct drive hub drives are not as good at slow speed climbs. I am very happy with all the other aspects of the FS bike. Can't compare to my FSR 29er, of course, but still works pretty well for a cheapie. I think I just need to get used to it more, esp the steep grades. Might have to get a dropper seat, too, like my 29er, so I can lean forward more to keep my front wheel down, but drop the seat for the downhills. I run lower tire pressure on my mtn bikes to further cushion the rough trails (lots of hard rock) and provide better traction.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Tesla
    replied
    If you plan on doing a lot of off-roading a geared hub would be a better choice for climbing on slow trails. Of course a mid-drive, of any sort, would be the best choice since it would be driving through the bikes gears.

Leave a comment:

• wklatt
    replied
    Have the ebike now at our mtn lake cabin, and tried some mtn climbing with it today. Doesn't have quite as much power as I had hoped. I was riding it just at home until now, and it ripped up the local street hills no problem, and barely slowed down. But it met its match with the steeper grades of the mtn trails. I climb up these same trails with my pedal mtn bike (brutal exercise), and kind of thought the MP5 could do it without even peddling. But not a chance,... and I had to pedal assist to get up the grades or it would stop. Of course, it was a lot easier than with my other bike, but I still had to work fairly hard. Part of the challenge was just keeping the front wheel on the ground. My 29er is much better at that than this FS 26 inch ebike. So it will take some getting use to,... and will still be getting a good work-out.

I also noticed the motor got fairly warm, so not sure how much stress I am putting on it. I wonder if the BBSHD would have been a better choice. But I do like the regen braking on the way down again.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Originally posted by wklatt View Post
    Am seriously considering cutting down the acceleration from the default 100% to maybe 50%. I am assuming it does not affect the power output or top speed at full throttle. The concern is that it really starts up with a jolt if you press the throttle too far early on. I can get used to it, but am afraid that if I let others ride it, they could dump it if they are not careful when starting out. Not sure what others have experienced, but this MP5 motor has a lot of low end torque.
    If you will share the bike that's a smart move. I tell people over and over to go easy on the throttle. But 2 people have looped the bike on their first takeoff. First time, my custom fender tail got ripped off. That guy is careful now, his road rash reminds him. But I felt kind of bad about it.

Leave a comment:

• wklatt
    replied
    Am seriously considering cutting down the acceleration from the default 100% to maybe 50%. I am assuming it does not affect the power output or top speed at full throttle. The concern is that it really starts up with a jolt if you press the throttle too far early on. I can get used to it, but am afraid that if I let others ride it, they could dump it if they are not careful when starting out. Not sure what others have experienced, but this MP5 motor has a lot of low end torque.

Leave a comment:

• wklatt
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I compressed the forks as far as I could, and there were still about 2 inches clearance. So should be no chance of them hitting the bottle pack. That's one of the reasons I chose this bike. Most others don't have near enough clearance on the underside of the downtube.
    Last edited by wklatt; 06-18-2016, 03:00 PM.

• wklatt
    replied
    Came in pretty close to $1000 on the ebike conversion parts, bike was extra (but still the lowest cost component).

Haven't done a lot of testing yet (just got it completed yesterday), and running with only a partially charged battery right now. So highest recorded flats speed (no pedaling) is 48 km/h to this point. Lots of torque out of the hole and I have to be careful with the throttle. Got surprised a couple times when accelerating out of a tight turn.
    Last edited by wklatt; 08-28-2016, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Congrats on your new build! Looks good.

If you haven't considered it already, make sure the tire can't hit your pack when the forks compress fully. If it can, you'll need to somehow limit the fork travel, or landing hard could put you over the bars.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Livingstone
    replied
    Nice!

Did that come in at under $1000 in total costs?

And what top speed are you getting on flats with no pedaling?

Leave a comment:

• wklatt
    started a topic Magic Pie 5 FS Mtn Bike

Magic Pie 5 FS Mtn Bike

Just got my new MP5 conversion completed and running. I started off with this, 26" FS mtn bike, and caught a good 50% off sale, too.

And here is the completed conversion with the MP5. Works great.

I used the 52V 13.5 ah bottle pack. Fits nicely under the front down tube with lots of clearance for the wheel. Low c of g, too. Note the safety strap, so the battery top is not just resting on the key lock latch.

Am using the Batt-man monitor on this one.
Working...
X