Anthem Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anthem Build

I'm starting a thread to document my Giant anthem build. I currently own a Cannondale f700 build (for sale for now), but want more. I bought a 2014 anthem 3 and am gathering the bits to bolt on a bbshd. I got the bb bb adapter and the shim for the battery to clear the cable stays. I'm probably going to reuse a lot of bits feeling my Cannondale since it's not selling. Finally, I'm thinking of wrapping the bike in a wood wrap ( maybe teak, hickory or bamboo) for a little natural irony.

I'm building a bike for a 36 mi rt commute to work in the DC area. With all of the stops and transitions, it's about a 50-55 minute ride each way. It has 900 ft of vertical each way and the round trip eats a 13m5 mAh battery since I push pretty hard the whole way for speed.

​​​​​

Tires

I wrote to Schwalbe about tire choices some there seen to be many. I want to move fast, and I have about a mile of canal towpath to traverse in addition to pretty well maintained roads. Their reply led me to buy a pair of their super moto-x greens, though if you want bombproof, they recommend their marathon plus mtb as absolutely bomb proof. I'll paste the quote when I get back to my pc. They're used on fleet rental ebikes in nyc.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marcva; 05-27-2019, 11:06 AM. Reason: Picture of a marathon plus mounted

Comment

Here is the patient. A 2014 anthem. I chased after carbon specimens for a while, but gave up. I got a decent deal in this bike

Comment

Waiting for parts... Build probably memorial day weekend as my motor won't be here until Monday night.

Build list
        Bbshd motor
        52t bling ring. Shims to clear the chainstay
        Stock crank arms.
        Basic display, though the California ebike eggbeater is interesting.
        13.5 nah 52 volt battery.
        I'm running at 25 amps. I'm light and don't need that much power. I figure it will but me some range and make me pedal a little more. I still didn't in a 37-38 top end based on my 26" BBS02 build that did 35-36.
        ​​​​​
        ​​​

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190525_124226.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	87534 Battery mounting can be a bit awkward because of the cable routing anchors in the anthem downtube.i installed a mounting plate bought from California ebikes to get clearance. The resulting fit is kind of tight. This is a 13.5mah super shark feeling em3ev. I released the rear shock to help fit it. Yes I can remove it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by marcva; 05-27-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Picture of the mounted battery.
            Attached Files

Comment

I did not have the tools to remove the press for bottom bracket, so a trip to my LBS for the job done in about 10 minutes. I didn't want to buy the specialized tools for a one time job. Frame with BB removed ready to go
              Attached Files

Comment

The pf41 bottom bracket adapter made the install a no brainer. Slide over the main shaft of the motor and
                slide into place. Bolt in the locking plate and tighten the two lock rings in the crank torqued to 50 nm? Special sockets make the job easy. Click image for larger version  Name:	20190525_131328.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	87523Click image for larger version  Name:	20190525_132201.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	87524
                Last edited by marcva; 05-27-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Cannot wait to see pics of the complete build
                  what size frame?

Comment

Medium. Compete bike. It's A lot heavier than my Cannondale I havent had a chance to open it up yet as I'm reconciling a chain issue. I lost track of the magic link and closed the chain the old fashioned way. It appears I didn't loosen the joint right and it hops a bit under load. Otherwise, the suspension is much more comfortable than my f700 was. I'm going to miss a 43 lb bike, though. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_102132.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	87757

Comment

Yes, I need to align the bar ends, but I'm going to be putting on Ergons eventually. I'm going to wait for the wrap as I may be tinkering with wire routing I ran a couple cables through the suspension in back and I want to be sure they aren't likely to get bound and pinched.

That's a lock on the seat post.

Comment

Comment

Detail of speed sensor. I did not use brake or gear sensors, but will likely add a gear sensor to reduce chain wear.
                          Last edited by marcva; 06-16-2019, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Hey marcva , doing a BBSHD build myself on a giant anthem X 29er . Yours looks amazing btw. Where did you order the pressfit adaptors from? I got mine from Lina but they protrude a bit on both sides. It's fine on the non drive side, but feel like it may cause the chainline to come out on the drive side. Waiting for my Luna Eclipse to come in so I can check.

Comment

Working...
                            X