Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSX29er Full Suspension with BBSHD

Gravity FSX29er Full Suspension w/BBSHD

So this is my first eBike build, and I owe a lot of thanks to Lunacycle for providing the knowledge and resources to make this an easy project. I have always wanted to make a motorized bicycle ever since I was a kid (in the 70’s) and when I first saw the BBS02 a couple years ago I knew it was just a matter of time. The only thing holding me back was a lack of resources (info and parts) until I discovered Lunacycle and Electricbike.com. Knowing that there is an American supplier that has the kits as well as parts gave me the confidence to make a purchase. The icing on the cake was the release of the BBSHD!

Weighing 62lbs. and costing $2856, here is my build:

Gravity FSX29 Full suspension 29er $700 (Bikesdirect.com)
    BBSHD + Luna 42T chain ring & DPC-14 Color Display $765 (Lunacycle.com)
    Slim Line Rear Battery Pack (11.5ah Panasonic PF) + Adv. Charger $530 (Lunacycle.com)
    Total for basic build (Bike, Motor & Battery): $1995

Upgrades to bike:
    WTB Scraper i45 wheels: Rear $307 (Prowheelbuilders.com)
    Front $132 (Amazon)
    Tuffy Tire Liners $20 (Performance Bikes)
    (a MUST have!)
    Maxxis Grifter 29x2.5 Tires (2) $100 (Maxxis Tires)
    Ashima Flo-Tor 180mm Rotors + Mounting Hardware $85 (Ebay)
    (Originals were 160mm)
    RockShox Monarch R 165mm + Mounting Hardware $200 (Amazon)
    (Original was 150mm pogo stick)
    Rear Rack $17 (Amazon)
    Total Upgrades: $861
    (I also replaced the pedals, seat and grips when I first bought the bike last year at about $100)

Last edited by BigE; 06-18-2016, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Some pics of the build.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I was trying to find it on bikesdirect last night but couldn't, because you swapped out the rear shock!

How do you like that XCT though? I have one on my ebike and I can't stand it. I have an XCR on my MTB and it's fine, but thinking about going bigger.

Comment

• BigE
          BigE commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not thrilled with the front fork and I'm thinking of putting a Rock Shox Reba in place of it. The rear shock was a big improvement over the original one.

I like this build a lot. FWIW, BikesDirect has this on sale for 599 right now.

DrD

Comment

• BigE
          BigE commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great price! I love this bike so far, even before the addition of the BBSHD. I bought it last year and rode it a lot before the electric upgrade last month :)

That is a great looking bike. How does full suspension feel when riding streets?

Comment

• BigE
          BigE commented
          Editing a comment
          The suspension feels great! I mounted my camera on the seat tube looking over the rear wheel to see how much it travels and how close it comes to the battery pack on the rack 4in. above it. I haven't bottomed out the shock (yet), and although the tire has come real close to the rack above it, they still haven't 'met'. I'll be posting vids soon:) This is my first eBike, and at the speeds I've gone so far (up to 38mph. with a 42T and 11T) I wouldn't want a hard tail!

• CraigAustin
          CraigAustin commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. I added a NCX seat post and will soon add front shocks, kind of wish I had gone full suspension from the get-go. I have ridden many miles on every kind of no-suspension bike, but holy cow is it different when you add a fast motor.

Thought my set-up was pretty stealthy until I saw your bike!
          Last edited by CraigAustin; 06-19-2016, 12:52 PM.
      Working...
      X