No announcement yet.

Specialized Demo 8 BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@taylorn.. thanks. The motor is a cyc x1 pro gen2. I got it from electrifybike.com, cycmotor.com also sells directly. Here is the link for electrifybike. I dealt with Mark, who was very helpful with problems I encountered. https://www.electrifybike.com/store/...e_Motor.html#/

I did look at the BBSHD, however I was concerned about the loss of ground clearance, and size of unit. The X1 pro I feel had a better design for my bike. It is smaller, more powerful, and more expensive. The Demo8 has a 83mm bottom bracket, so right at the max size, without going to a fat bike sized crank and adapters. I actually had to trim off the tabs/ears on the PF30 adapters to be able to thread the retaining nuts onto the axle. This gave me space to use a 1mm spacer on the non-drive side, to move the mounting bracket away from the rear linkage arm. I imagine a narrower BB will avoid the problems I encountered, as you would use spacers on the BB. The chainline is pretty much the same with the motor as my regular cranks. I have no problem shifting through all gears. The Demo8 is a downhill bike and already pretty heavy, so I wasn't too worried about the added weight. The shark battery is 7 lbs, not sure about the motor, The bikes probably around 50 lbs. The motor locks onto the bottom bracket via the BB cups, and it has a brace that mounts inside the frame to keep it from rotating. On this frame the brace wasn't long enough, so I used heavy cargo strapping to secure it. It feels pretty solid, but time will tell.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rptarqui View Post
      @taylorn.. thanks. The motor is a cyc x1 pro gen2. I got it from electrifybike.com, cycmotor.com also sells directly. Here is the link for electrifybike. I dealt with Mark, who was very helpful with problems I encountered. https://www.electrifybike.com/store/...e_Motor.html#/

I did look at the BBSHD, however I was concerned about the loss of ground clearance, and size of unit. The X1 pro I feel had a better design for my bike. It is smaller, more powerful, and more expensive. The Demo8 has a 83mm bottom bracket, so right at the max size, without going to a fat bike sized crank and adapters. I actually had to trim off the tabs/ears on the PF30 adapters to be able to thread the retaining nuts onto the axle. This gave me space to use a 1mm spacer on the non-drive side, to move the mounting bracket away from the rear linkage arm. I imagine a narrower BB will avoid the problems I encountered, as you would use spacers on the BB. The chainline is pretty much the same with the motor as my regular cranks. I have no problem shifting through all gears. The Demo8 is a downhill bike and already pretty heavy, so I wasn't too worried about the added weight. The shark battery is 7 lbs, not sure about the motor, The bikes probably around 50 lbs. The motor locks onto the bottom bracket via the BB cups, and it has a brace that mounts inside the frame to keep it from rotating. On this frame the brace wasn't long enough, so I used heavy cargo strapping to secure it. It feels pretty solid, but time will tell.
      That's awesome! thanks for the detail and the photos.

I just got done converting a 2010 Banshee Legend for a friend. Purchased BBSHD from electrifybike.com and 8ah battery from bicyclemotorworks.com. Made a 3d printed shell for the battery. The height to the bottom of the motor from the ground is 10.5" (but had to make a non-structurally-compromising notch in the frame so the motor would rotate to that height). 10.5" is not bad, but the clearance you have with the X1 seems best case scenario!

Oh, and I don't know if you need it, but a tip for builds is to use stainless steel hose clamps to hold the motor instead of fabric straps. also, epoxy putty is a cheap and awesome way to build up transitions from flat to round surfaces, etc. if you don't want it to be a permanent piece, you can use clear packing tape as a release agent on your frame so the epoxy can be freed after it cures. I use it everywhere in life now ;)

Attached Files

Comment

I initially thought about hose clamps, but was worried about it digging into the carbon. I bought some rubber squares to protect the frame, then thought the fabric would work, now I think if would tend to loosen over time. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been rethinking the rear rack as well, as I don't like the weight back there and kind of rough on the battery. I like your on fame solution. Good idea about the epoxy.

Comment

• Yezzzzzir
          Yezzzzzir commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW you have me really inspired now! I have a 2013 demo 8 thatis sitting around collecting dust. Exact same frame and I'm considering this now..
          What's your experience on how it rides? That mount looks great too, does the battery ever hit you seat post when the swing arm moves? How fast and for how long?
          Really considering making a "frankenstien-bike" for a commuter to work!
          good job man!
          Last edited by Yezzzzzir; 06-28-2021, 12:20 PM.
      Working...
      X