• Show
Clear All

BBSHD Build - Specialized Pitch -2018

2018 Specialized Pitch Base Mech Discs - Xtra Large Frame
    Bafang BBSHD Motor Kit 68-73MM From Luna Cycle
    52V 12ah 30Q Samsung Pack
    Display Options: Luna 860c Full Color Display with USB Out
    Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle,
    Install Spacers and Helpers (Highly Recommended): Luna Install Helper - Spacer and Adapter Kit
    52V Advanced Luna 300W Ebike Charger
    Custom Machined Install Tool: LunaWrench

Luna Eclipse ChainRing for the BBSHD 42T Sprocket
    Mud Shovel Front Fender

Mudhugger Standard Rear Guard Mudguard Fender
    Mudhugger Front Guard for bike frame seat tube splash guard
    Suspension Seat Post

Ease of Build = TBD

Challenges pre build:
    The bike supposedly has a threaded JIS square tapered bottom bracket. Per Luna I checked around to verify my BB type. But you really don't know until you start pulling the bike apart. I would not have bought the bike if this was not the case. Hopefully I didn't get screwed on the BB.

Challenges During Build:
    How to securely attach the battery mounting plate on the tube. The water bottle mounts look weak.

Donor bike: 2018 Specialized Pitch Base Mech Discs - Xtra Large Frame

SPECS
    Frame A1 Premium Aluminum, Sport Trail 27.5 Geometry, zero-stack head tube, internal cable routing, 135x9mm forged dropouts, chainstay-mounted disc brake, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger
    Fork SR Suntour XCT 27.5, coil spring, 80/100mm travel (size-specific)
    Shifters Shimano TX800, Ez-Fire Plus, 3x8
    Rear Derailleur Shimano TX800 8-speed
    Brakes Radius CX7, mechanical disc, resin pads, 160mm rotor
    Cassette Sunrace, 8-speed, 11-34t
    Bottom Bracket Square taper, 73mm, internal bearings
    Chain KMC X8EPT, 8-speed, anti-corrosion coating w/ reusable Missing Link
    Hubs Shimano Center Lock, disc, 100x9mm QR, 32h / Shimano Center Lock, disc, 135x9mm QR, 32h
    Spokes Stainless, 14g
    Rims Stout Trail 27.5, alloy, disc only, double-wall, 25mm inner width, 32h
    Tires Ground Control Sport, Flak Jacket flat protection, wire bead, 27.5 x 2.3"
    Stem Stout 3D-forged alloy, 31.8mm, 6-degree rise
    Handlebars Stout double-butted alloy, 18mm rise, 8-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 740mm width, 31.8mm
    Just received everything from Luna via Fedex. All the packaging was in good condition (nothing looks dropped or crushed) and was worth the small up charge for Fedex. The kit box is cool looking and everything was protected well w/bubble wrap. I paid a small up charges for the best Luna display. I just got a standard throttle b/c I'm going to use it for instances of quick power bump while riding up a hill etc. I plan on always pedaling and will rely mainly on the pedal assist levels for my power amplification of pedaling. I bench tested the battery, motor and display and everything works. I test fit the battery on the downtube water bottle holder mounts. I probably will always leave the battery on the bike even when charging to reduce the risk of the shark mount plastic tabs or the water bottle mounts from breaking. I'm going to add additional nut inserts to the frame b/c the 2 water bottle mounts are weak and I expect them to eventually break. I'll deal w/ nut insert breakage later w/ bigger nut inserts or a 3D printed custom mount. The front fender should deflect most water off the front tire. The battery is not water proof and their are many seams where water will get in the battery case. I'll pack a shower cap should my ride to work get a surprise rain to cover the battery. More later as I build.

I just drilled pilot holes into the tube to add mounts for the battery tray. The tube is very thin, almost like a license plate. That's a bit disappointing. The nut inserts probably won't last long with this heavy battery especially if I have it off the tube using shims so I can use my mud shovel front fender. I put dielectric grease in the speed sensor connection, tightened it down and then put silicone around it for water proofing. I'll probably do that to all the connections. I bought the wrong chain ring. I got the one with out much offset. I am following a previous build and that guy used the 42t Luna Eclipse chain ring for good chain alignment for the biggest 3 rear cassette gears, the gears I plan on using. So I'm returning the other one and bought that one. There is a forum link that has all the offset photos/info you could ever want to compare the different chain rings. I ditched the Mud Shovel tube mount and just put the cut out fender under the battery mount. Now I don't need the water bottle standoffs and it looks better. Hopefully I can use the fender mount somewhere else b/c it was expensive if just using the plastic fender. I tacked up the display and control pad. It looks cool. I removed the front derailed and the cable. There is a port w/ a plastic plug where the cable slides out. I installed the thumb throttle. Looks factory. The grips are held in place w a set screw.

I finished drilling out the 2 extra shark battery mount holes. The exact size bit 19/64" fits a Menards brand sku 231-2437 #10-24 sae thread crimp nut insert. Then get the proper length button head #10-24 bolt. Practice on a piece of scrap once b/c if you over crimp the threads inside the nut insert get crushed and the bolt won't thread thru unless you chase the threads (DOOH!). 3 of the 4 nut insert holes are perfectly spaced so when the bracket is slid all the way down the bracket slots hang on 3 of the 4 bolts. If you don't do it this way the bracket will only hang on 1 of the water bottle bolts and will probably rip out the whole deal while riding your new diy 3 bike on rough terrain. This set up should give max diy water protection to a diy Ebike w external shark battery. I just removed the BB threaded cartridge. Not that hard. You need a crank puller and the right BB socket tool. Mine was Park Tool BBT-32. There are plenty of videos on this including on Park Tool on youtube. To get the BBSHD to go thru the BB I had to remove the plastic front derailed guide and the mounting bolts.

I put the biggest spacer included with my kit on the chain drive side. It pushed the motor away from the chain stay. This gave some room for the wires to lay in that area with out being crushed. The other guy who did this build put the wires there and it seemed the best. I used the 2nd longest bolts on the motor. I used the big spacer and 2 little spacers. I tightened down everything hand tight. I did not add thread locker anywhere. I would typically do this but I want to see what will occur just installing this as supplied. There is way too much power wire coming from the batter and motor for my set up. Eventually I will cut it down and solder it to the battery tray but not for a few months. I got the 2 rear fenders stacked on. It doesn't look the best but it will be super effective at keeping water off me and the battery.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 72Jeep; 01-31-2020, 09:03 PM.

Maxed out the allowed photos. The rest will get posted as replies.

Comment

Comment

front derailed removal required
        Attached Files

Comment

front derailer removal required
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to do this and stack the traditional rear mud hugger on top of a front fender installed backwards on the rear. I did it on my Cannondale 25 yrs ago. Its the only way to keep water off the battery. https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/pages...g-instructions
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 72Jeep; 01-31-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I installed the motor. I put the biggest spacer included with my kit on the chain drive side. It pushed the motor away from the chain stay. This gave some room for the wires to lay in that area with out being crushed. The other guy who did this build put the wires there and it seemed the best. I used the 2nd longest bolts on the motor triangle stay. I used the big spacer and 2 little spacers to span the triangle stay to motor. I tightened down everything hand tight. I did not add thread locker anywhere. I would typically do this but I want to see what will occur just installing this as supplied. There is way too much power wire coming from the batter and motor for my set up.. I got the 2 rear fenders stacked on. It doesn't look the best but it will be super effective at keeping water off me and the battery

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I want to use the specialized cranks that came w the bike. the non drive side is fine. I gotta get the drive side off the chain ring. the lbs where I bought the specialized said the drive side is pressed on. I dremeled 2 slots on it to see. looks like he is right. I'm gonna grind off the flare at work tomorrow. looking at the non drive side there is loads of space b/w the crank and spindle so grinding off the chain ring shouldn't be a big deal.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X