No announcement yet.

BBSHD Build - Specialized Pitch -2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once you get used to drilling holes in your bike and crimping in nut inserts it's not that big of deal. the china factory does it so big deal.

Comment

Comment

I had the exact same build until I changed frames for a full suspension bike. I did not like the eclipse I felt it was too much inboard, I had to space the chainring, and had problems running the highest gears. I ended up going with the Lekie Blingring 42 tooth. Much better and lighter.

Comment

• 72Jeep
          72Jeep commented
          Editing a comment
          oh damn. you mean the biggest rear cogs? I ordered the wrong chain ring again. just ordered the eclipse ring!

Comment

I got everything bolted up the 42 t Luna Eclipse . I didn't Loctite anything. I'm going to run it as is for a while and see what happens. I'll probably start tweaking stuff after a couple miles, I used 1 chain ring spacer. The chain ring bolts are too short using even 1 chain ring spacer. The chain ring just barely clears the chain stay w/ 1 spacer torqued down. It actually scrapped off the red decal but left the blue paint on there.
          Last edited by 72Jeep; 6 days ago.

Comment

Comment

I rode today for the 1st time. a shake down run. I charged the battery to 100% as recommended. The bbshd is super quiet. the pedal assist levels are great as is really. level 5 is like superman. I used the thumb throttle too. shifting was good. the motor didn't get warm but its 35f here right now. I put dielectric grease on the battery tray power knife blades before putting on the battery and locked the battery on w the key. the bike shifts great. its super fast. the luna 860 display is cool. there is 1/2 sec delay when u stop pedaling b4 the bbshd stops turning so you gotta be careful or it will launch u into traffic. the mech discs work good. no grinding or weird noises w the chain or derailler. the mud shovel works good and the rear fender. I'm super happy right now w the build and the price invested.

Comment

Originally posted by 72Jeep View Post
                I'm super happy right now w the build and the price invested.
                Congrats! That first after-build ride is a thriller.

2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
                3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Nexus INTER-3 IGH
                4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
                5th build, 2019 Crust Evasion, BBS02 or BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
                Other, Electronic throttle lock

Comment

I did a test ride to work. 7.5 miles 1 way. The front chain ring shifted slightly and started rubbing on the chain stay. Also the battery barely got me back. I hoped 12.5ah would go farther. I don’t really want to carry my battery charger w me. It was only 20f maybe that drained the battery faster. I’m gonna tweak on the bike some more. My top speed was 30 mph on the flat ground. The 860c display has a watt meter that’s cool to see how much work the motor is doing. I'll have to add some shims to the chain rink side to move the things over. I don't know why things shifted to the left. I put the battery charger on 80% charge and it charged to 100% so I have to figure that out too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I took the bottom bracket bbshd stuff apart. Nothing was loose. There was good bite of the bbshd triangle washer bracket to the bike. I added another wide spacer to the chain ring side. There won't be much thread for the jam nut to torque on. I'll have to use loctite this time. Before a dime could barely slip b/w the chain stay and chain ring. Now a Luna BBSHD wrench fits there.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I made a u turn and installed 4 motor shims on the chain ring side. 2 thick and 2 thin. 2 thin = 1 thick. Also 1 thick = 1 external chain ring spacer. Only 1 external chain ring spacer fits on the outside of the drive behind the chain ring. If you stack more than 1 the chain ring hub does not sit on the hub drive. It will 'float' and only be held on by the bolts. I don't want that. I don't want my aluminum truck rims floating on bolts b/c of spacers and I don't want my aluminum chain ring floating either. I want both secure and locked in 'hub centrically'. I figured out why I got such bad chain stay rubbing on my 8 mi ride 1 way to work. Going down a steep hill I was shifting gears in quick succession and the chain jumped off and jammed b/w the bbshd motor and the bikes bottom bracket. I didn't inspect anything and just yanked the chain out and finished the ride. This was only 1 mi into the 8 mi ride. The bbshd is slightly smaller diameter then the inside of my bottom bracket. It rocks in there ever so slightly when you 1st slip it thru before you crank it down w/ the Y washer and lock ring. I think the jammed chain moved the bbshd clockwise ever so slightly and used up the small clearance I originally set up b/w the chain ring and chain stay. When I tested the bike hanging in the air the chain jumped off again and jammed again. The chain has a lot of bounce in the biggest rear gear when shifting up or down and the chain line is not great at that pt of the cassette and it throws off the chain if I shift multiple gears when the tire is spinning fast. So I put all my bottom bracket spacers in for cheap insurance should the bbshd get tweaked again during a ride from the chain getting jammed. I don't use the biggest gear commuting to work so I'm not going to wig out about it right now. If I ride off road single track later this summer I can just leave the bike in the tallest gear from the get go. All the bottom bracket spacers used up the threads for the aluminum jam nut. That sucks b/c it goes over the lock ring and looks cool. I'll use lock tite now.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 72Jeep; 4 days ago.

Comment

I reassembled the bottom with loctite. Now it has to cure for 24 hrs before finishing the rebuild. The Bafang jam nut doesn't fit on the treads now. that sucks but whatever. it would be nice to have a 76mm bbshd to give more threads for spacing away from chain stays.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X