• Show
Clear All

• FolsomRider
    started a topic BBSHD Build - Specialized Comp Disc FSR -2005

BBSHD Build - Specialized Comp Disc FSR -2005

2005 Specialized Comp Disc FSR 26" Wheels - Large Frame
    Bafang BBSHD Motor Kit From Luna Cycle
    52V 11.5ah PF Panasonic Pack

$699 - Bafang BBSHD 1000W Mid Drive Kit Bottom Bracket Size: 68-73mm (Standard),
    • ChainRing: Luna Aluminum Chain Ring Adapter 42T
    • Throttle Choices: Bafang BBSHD Universal Thumb Throttle
    • Magnetic motor cutoff sensors option chosen for my own juicy 5 Hydraulic Brakes

$45 - Display Upgrade: Luna Full Color Display
    $435.95 - Performance Pack 52v Panasonic PF 11.5a Battery
    $79.95 52V Advanced 300W Luna Charger

Total Kit Cost $1,259.90 + My donor bike

Ease of Build = Easy-Medium
    Skills Needed - Mechanical and light wiring

Challenges pre build:
    Finding Battery Pack that would fit inside triangle of frame on a full suspension bike

Challenges During Build:
    Removing Shimano Cartridge from Bottom Bracket (BB)
    Fitting BBSHD motor through BB. VERY tight fit. Unexpected and difficult getting the motor through the BB.
    Pulling motor from BB after initial install to add small Spacer on motor/Sprocket side as housing was against Suspension pivot arm. PITA.
    Securing battery safely on bike. Suspended and padded.

Donor bike:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1960.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	10146

Battery and Motor Kit Arrival:

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 8 53 40 AM.jpg
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	10129

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 8 54 39 AM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	536.3 KB
ID:	10128

Unpacking and organizing BBSHD kit

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 10 12 12 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	697.6 KB
ID:	10119

Removing cranks and disassembling BB

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 9 12 57 AM.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	10136

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 9 12 36 AM.jpg
Size:	577.8 KB
ID:	10140

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 9 46 32 AM.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	10148

Mounting Motor and Installing Crank arms and pedals + wiring and mounting throttle, brake cut-off sensors, and LCD/Computer.

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 10 54 57 AM.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	10142

Name:	Photo Jun 25, 11 08 10 AM.jpg
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	10144

Battery:
    This was very tricky as the Shark Packs and other triangle batteries were too big to fit the inside of the frame. I elected to use the 52V 11.5ah PF battery below. I used a heavy duty thick neoprene knee brace. The battery fits snugly inside. I used the Velcro straps to secure to the top tube of the frame. It is very well padded and quite secure. This is a temporary solution until I can fabricate something more secure.... or will I....?

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	10149
    +

Name:	Knee Brace.jpg
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	10125

=

Name:	C3EBEBF5-32B5-4523-BCE1-E98A55A6CEB1_zpslgp87jxv.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	10150

I will add more info as time allows. Wifey calling me for dinner...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FolsomRider; 09-01-2016, 09:09 AM.

• raylo32
    replied
    Found this old thread on a search. I just have added a TSDZ2 drive to an old Cannondale F1000 hardtail and am already getting the itch to do another build with BBSHD, perhaps using my 2003 Specialized Stumpjumper XC Comp. Everything looks good except as the OP noted battery fitment is a challenge. Not a bad temporary solution with the neoprene knee brace. Could maybe create some sort of permanent mount with a 3D printer for that battery pack.

I'd also like to hear how this bike handled the BBSHD long term.
    Last edited by raylo32; 02-18-2019, 02:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OlPhart
    replied
    How is this rig doing now that you've had it a while? I am contemplating the same build as I already own the same bike.

In the first post you mention having to pull the motor to put in a spacer. Did the spacer come with the kit? Do you remember how thick the spacer was?

Leave a comment:

• FolsomRider
    replied
    Got my Eclipse yesterday and installed today. MUCH better. Chain line is dead center to the middle of my rear cassette. Much quieter and smoother pedaling. I can access all my rear gears. I didn't need to use the spacer and mine came with long screws.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    awesome :) yeah the aluminum 42t sprocket is the wore for chainline.... you need one with more offset even the stock steel chain would be better.

For maximum offset get the luna eclipse chainring... that is what we used because both bikes we tested on had chain coming off issues with even the stock steel 46t sprocket.

Leave a comment:

• FolsomRider
    replied
    Update:

About 500 miles on this rig and generally speaking this is a beast of a bike. Very fast and powerful. My only issue is my chain line when I am on rear sprocket 8,7, or sometimes 6 (from largest to smallest) of my 8 speed rear cassette, I will occasionally throw the chain off the front sprocket. This is mitigated with more careful shifting and low or no PAS while shifting. I am using the Aluminum Luna 42 T Sprocket. It would be unworkable with a standard front sprocket. The Luna sprocket has longer teeth and seems to do a good job.

I do own a couple Sondors Thins for wifey and kids which as pretty cool and fun little rigs but anemic compared to the BBSHD.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    [QUOTE=Challenges During Build:

Fitting BBSHD motor through BB. VERY tight fit. Unexpected and difficult getting the motor through the BB.
    QUOTE]

​I found the same problem with my Electra cruiser build but didn't mention it. If you feel inside the bracket where the seat tube and frame tubes intersect the BB you may find a burr or you will find a very sharp edges. Hit these edges with sandpaper or a dremel, blow out the grit and the BBSHD will slide right in................at least it did for me....calfee

Leave a comment:

• Rodney64
    replied
    Nice build fulsomrider I'll add this to the compatible thread.
    Last edited by Rodney64; 08-23-2016, 11:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X