Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBS02+Kona Splice+a bunch of aftermarket bike parts=super fun trail/commuter bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arboh
    replied
    I just passed 1,000 miles on the BBSHD... Here is a brief summary

e-biking is awesome... I love the freedom

Stuff that I Changed.
    Raised my handle bars a bit on the advice of my chiropractor. I am an old man... but don't say that to my face unless you want to die young.
    Tried a Nuvinci hub. Did not like it for the hilly terrain that I ride. Went back to derailleur
    Upgraded derailleur to a Shimano RD M592 Deore unit. ... To be honest, I don't notice any difference from the cheaper OEM unit. Both work fine.

Stuff that wore out
    One set of disk brake pads.
    Tires are still good
    Chain.. Measured a bit of stretch in my OEM chain. My Luna Eclipse chain ring is too expensive and too good to risk trashing it with a stretched chain. Replaced the chain with a tougher chain... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stuff that broke
    One clutch... Eric says that it's because I'm athletic.. He's a smart guy... Why would I deny this?

Other
    Not much to say here. No real surprises.. Everything just works... I love it.
    I will say that as with any other contraption, patience and attention to detail in the build process usually correlates with operational reliability.

Ride on friends !!!!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    Very nice build thread.... i have added it to our list...sorry for missing it the first time ;)

ERIC

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Upgraded to the HD this weekend and lost ~3 lbs.... Here's how....

-5 lbs... I lost 5 lbs of personal fat from the first month of riding...(and changing my diet)
    -3.5 lbs...I started using one of the 6ah cube-batts instead of my 11.5 AH brick. One "cube" has all the power that I need for my commute. And... with my trough style battery cradle and a parallel battery cable, I can stack a second cube for longer trips... both will fit in the trough... modular power cubes :-) For super long rides, I can use two 11.5AH bricks. One on the rack and one in the trough. ...and a mini in my pannier for backup.

Net that out with the added weight of the HD, and the Bafang steel discus chain ring... and I shed a few total lbs, while gaining considerable torque and about 4mph top end.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Waiting at a stop light yesterday another rider pulled up, checked out my bike and said... "that is a really bad-ass bike". First I thanked him for the compliment, then told him about Luna and suggested that he could build whatever he wanted too. That's what I love about DIY..Do your own thing! He seemed excited to do so. Another convert?

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    About 250 miles on the bike now and have made a few changes...
    ​1) Found a nice 27.5" wheel "takeoff" on e-bay and used it to replace the 29 on the back. for better fender clearance. (It was so tight with the 29 that the SS fender mounting bolt was being ground away by dirt and sand.
    2) Added a shock absorbing seat post (Suntour). Very nice...

Other note is that the "new" 27.5 wheel has steel grommets around the spoke nipple holes. I am told by my LBS that this is a good thing for e-bikes as they have seen a few with cracks in the rim around the spoke nipples. Since I am upgrading to BBSHD.. I thought that this would be a timely change.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Tesla
    commented on 's reply
    Portland Design Works, PDW, also make very useful fenders...........

Top tip: most front fenders are stamped from sheet plastic and held onto your forks with tie-wraps. If you have more than one bike you can buy one fender and use it to trace out another from plastic sheet. I buy those flexible cutting boards that you can roll up and put in a drawer from a housewares store, they come in various colors and are pretty cheap too. They're easy to cut with scissors and a paper punch makes nice holes.

• Galroc
    replied
    Great write up.

i am using the BBSHD and the 42T sprocket and I might switch back to the steel 46T sprocket for more top end speed. Small sprocket is 11T on my bike and I top out at 25mph, unless I peddle like a banshee.

I am the exact opposite with regards to roads...

I ride on a road with a 50 mph speed limit with a wide shoulder. Cars are doing 55 mph+. The speed doesn't bother me but I did add a mirror to the bike and since it is a high speed road, it is mostly straight which allows me to see cars coming from a long distance and keep track of them. It also allows them plenty of opportunity to see me.

What does concern me are the 30mph roads with tons of intersections. I have to be much more careful around cars who might not see me as they change lanes or enter/exit the road. Accidents are known to occur around intersections.

I do think water is important and I will reconfigure my battery so I can use one of the two water bottle mounts. I carry water in my rear saddle bags but it means I must stop to drink.

I agree that the Ergon grips are amazing because they reduce the pressure on your hands. I went with the GP1 version and I had to adjust them to make sure my wrists are nearly straight to avoid nerve issues.

Yet to do is fenders and I do like Planet Bike products. I will have to look into them.

I also don't use a power cut for switching gears. I don't think it is needed since the rear derailleur is not on the power side of the chain. So far, so good.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    FYI... I just received a BBSHD. I'm going to use the 02 in the bike I am building for my wife, and throw to HD on mine... Also.. I snatched a fully laced 27.5" rear wheel with disc and freewheel off of ebay for $25. I am going to replace my 29" rear wheel with this (keeping 29r up front). main reasons are
    1) slight drive ratio reduction
    2) More tire to fender clearance.
    3) Because I want to. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    If you make the shirt... I will buy it.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    LUNAtic!? (*coffee spews over computer keyboard)...that's funny. We should get some T-shirts made up. I gotta say, if my Electra/BBSHD bike was stolen, I'd have to go out and replace everything exactly as it was. I have a second ebike that is a hot rod, but...the BBSHD is my steady commuter that gets used the most. People don't even realize its electric as I cruise by, and I never break a sweat on the hills...

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    After a few hundred miles of riding, I made my first performance upgrade.....BRAKES. I went from 160 front and rear to 203 front and 180 rear. Now I can go faster :-)

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Thanks to all for the nice comments and great questions. ... To the question about the brake hoods.. I have not seen how Luna does the brake sensors for hyd. brakes. It may be that the hoods are not needed. That would be great. Less parts is goodness. I love to tinker so much that sometimes I re-invent the wheel...or create stuff that is not really needed.. But I have fun doing it :-) Can someone point me to a description of the "Luna way" on Hyd. brake sensor mounting?

Also, I have been having an absolute BLAST commuting to work. What used to be a drag, is now something that I really look forward to. Interestingly, it took me a while to find a good route. The route that I used to take before I became a LUNAtic was downhill from our home... (no sweat first thing in the morning) but it put me onto a bike line that was part of an arterial road with 40mph limit. Lots of commuters going 45mph in cars reading texts or putting on makeup. Not a great place to be on a bike... So I started going up and over the hill (no problem now that I'm a LUNAtic) and jumping on a dedicated bike trail... I found that this was not ideal either... People walking or on bikes going 15mph.... when I'm going 25. FINALLY, I sat down at my computer and studied the road maps to find a route that is ideal... It consists of bike/walking trails in the woods that are empty when I commute, residential streets with little to no traffic, and a very short stretch of dedicated bike lane that is walled off from the freeway that runs parallel to it. My bike commute time is about 25 minutes.. which is about the same as my car commute time, but a LOT more fun.

Leave a comment:

• PoweredRide
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting use of cordmate. I have never seen that done before.

• PoweredRide
    commented on 's reply
    Did you really need those aluminum hoods on the brakes? Have you seen the way luna mounts those sensors on the hydraulic brakes they sell?

• Bicycle365
    replied
    NIce work ! love the attention to detail...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X