'48 Hiawatha Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'48 Hiawatha Build

I'm not sure this is where I should post my build since I'n new to this forum and new to the eBike world.
    Please feel free to move this post or let me know.......
    Background:
    Some of this info is posted in my first post and introduction
    I purchased this old bike a number of years ago with the idea of build a Whizzer style bike with a 2/4 cycle engine. However, life got in the way. The Covid Pandemic caused me to drag it out and start a build, Then it occurred, with the current trend in eBikes, why not go that route.....
    This old bike was sold by the Gambles Department stores back in the day. It was mfg. by the Huffman company, which eveniually, became "Huffy", at least this is what I've learned.
    It's a coaster brake heavy steel bike with a bunch of character. I knew, if I was going to add "power", the first items it needed would be a brake upgrade. Therefore, I added Husky front and rear HD rims and tires with drum brakes. Not knowing anything about electric motors for bikes, I "Googled" and "Bafang " showed up. The 48V BBSHD with a 17.5 AM battery was my choice, due to the weight of the bike, at least, this is what I thought having no experience or comparison. Next was to source an active forum, upon which to "lean on"for help. BTW, my background is restoration of old 2 wheel bikes, Vespa Scooters and lightweight motor bikes. also, a few classic cars and vintage air rifles.
    The build:
    As stated, I started with a 1948 Hiawatha model bike with a very solid frame. Added HD rims, tires and tubes with drum brakes. Have installed the BBSHD motor, battery, and accessories. Before installing the motor, the first problem was the ID of the bottom bracket is approx. 2" (51mm), the motor shaft has an OD of 33.5 mm. Therefore, had a friend 3D print a couple of bushings using Carbon Fiber to the ID (33.6-7mm) required. Next with the motor installed, I noticed the chain-line being approximately 3/4" out of line with the sprocket. This is when youse guys provided direction with Luna's offset sprocket, which I have since ordered. Since I'm a "motorized" biker, I wanted the "twist" throttle and with that came another issue. The unit I have has a built in volt meter and a locking feature. Three of the leads, I will attach a "Higo"style three-pin plug to mate with the Bafang harness, the remaining two tires 9"yellow" & "Blue"), I will have to find their home in the harness.
    I'll stop verbalizing and add a few pics..... Click image for larger version  Name:	D660FAE2-7491-4DFA-A704-E8ED9FBA76B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	114725
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RedRider48; 09-26-2020, 07:51 PM.

I wondered how you did the bottom bracket. Do you have a washer on the left side so the clamping is all metal and the bushings are just keeping it centered?

Comment

Thanks for creating this build post. And the bike is a good, sturdy choice, especially with the brake improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
        I wondered how you did the bottom bracket. Do you have a washer on the left side so the clamping is all metal and the bushings are just keeping it centered?
        Hi, since the "bracket" has an ID of approx. 51mm, I had a friend 3D print two bushings using carbon fiber to a spec of 33.6 mm. These were inserted into the original outer retainer rings. Fortunately, the width was within the standard. At some point in the last 70 years, the bike specs for the "bracket" changed to this smaller JIS standard.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RedRider48; 09-28-2020, 05:23 AM.

Comment

I wonder if that is going to stay tight for you? Normally the triangle plate and its little teeth kinda digs into the frame. Even if the teeth hit the bearing cup suspect it could spin. I also don't know how much clamping action you are going to get since that original cup wasn't really designed to have this type of load on it?

Comment

A stabilizer bar would probably stop cup spin. I wonder if it's a problem with Luna's similar, eccentric Ashtabula adapter.

Comment

Good observation "73Eldo". There is contact between the serrated raised points on the "plate" and the bushing SS cups, in which, the carbon fiber bushings are pressed. Only road trials will reveal if this needs further attention. As mentioned by "ncmired", a fabricated torque arm can be fitted too, in needed. However, since this is a "luxury" cruiser and not a trail of street warrior, I doubt there will be much "slippage"(?). Time will tell...... At the moment have been testing the electrics and setting up the Display. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Awesome. Vintage bikes with e-kits are real head turners.
                "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

You are going to have to find or build a pack that will fit between the top bars gas tank style. Another option would be find some flatter packs that could go in leather saddle bags. Maybe scooter packs? Those tend to be flatter than the bike ones?

Comment

You are going to have to find or build a pack that will fit between the top bars gas tank style. Another option would be find some flatter packs that could go in leather saddle bags. Maybe scooter packs? Those tend to be flatter than the bike ones?
                    Your battery pack option has been addressed. My 17.5aH "Jumbo" pack is located on this bikes original rear carrier. It will have a weather proof cover, in the unlikely event we find ourselves in, "Mother Nature's" car wash LOL. I posted a pic of it's location in post #1.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by RedRider48; 09-30-2020, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Received good news in the mail today......
                      I received my Luna chainring and it is a beaut! Not only is she a "beaut" , but, she fits perfectly and the chain-line is eye-ball perfect.
                      BTW, didn't need to reverse-dish the rear sprocket. If I do, It might give me an additional 1-2mms. In testing the running of the motor and controls, thus far, did not receive the dreaded error 21 that seems to be popular.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RedRider48; 09-30-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Finished the 'ole girl today...... Click image for larger version

Name:	E5B105D6-413E-4948-8705-48D57C993FC0.jpeg
Views:	459
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	115102

Comment

So looks nice, how does it ride?

Comment

So looks nice, how does it ride?
                            Yeah, she turned out nice. It was getting too late yesterday for a ride under power, however, I was able to pedal power around a bit to get used to the weight. The "tail gunner" is a bit heavy and takes a bit to get used to it. I will have to convert the old style "swing arm" stand to a center stand though. The battery location (Tail Gunner) makes the bike a bit top heavy and tail waggie. The three speed Sturmy Archer shifter seems very good for this old girl. However, it's location next to the Twist Throttle is a little cumbersome.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	eBike headshot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	684.8 KB ID:	115119

Comment

Ya that shifter doesn't look like it would work well. Think you need to go to a lever type. They still make their classic 'trigger' style that likely came on that vintage bike. Its the S3s. They also make a thumb version that I have with my Nexus 3 speed. SLS30-R3T.

Comment

Working...
                              X