BBSHD on 2016 Cannondale Catalyst 1 hardtail small frame - first build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD on 2016 Cannondale Catalyst 1 hardtail small frame - first build

I've had this MTB since new in 2016, bought at a local shop in PA. Love this bike because of the handling, ride, and decent components for entry level. Bike weighs about 30 lbs before any modifications. After shopping for and riding my wifes 20" fat tire Ecotric e-bike, I'm now hooked and want some power to go with my trail riding.

I was turned on to Luna from a family friend that has built a few bikes, so I pulled the trigger and bought the following:
    • BBSXX: GEAR SENSOR - D 1
    • Bafang Hydraulic and Disc Brake Sensors E-Brake (Pair) 1
    • Bafang BBS02 and BBSHD Programming Cable 1
    • Bafang BBSHD and BBSO2 Universal Thumb Throttle 1
    • Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit 1
    • MISC: PROGRAM HOT ROD 1
    • BBSHD: MOTOR 68MM 1
    • Luna Install Helpers 1
    • BBSHD 46T Stock Steel Chainring 1
    • LUNA FUSION: WOLF 52v 12AH 30q - STEALTH BLACK 1
    • CHAINRING: BBSHD MINI 30T - BLACK 1
    • Luna Charger 52V Advanced 300W Ebike Charger 1
    • LUNA Full Color Display 860c With Removable Selector 1
    • LUNA Wrench BBSHD and BBS02 Mid Drive Installation Tool 1
    • LUNA INSTALL HELPERS: 68-100MM BBSHD SPACERS 1
    I was worried about all the added power and weight, so I also installed new brake pads and upgraded the front brake rotor for peace of mind:
    • Magura MDR-C Disc Brake Rotor - 203mm, 6-Bolt, For eBike, Silver ($33)
    • Magura QM42 Adaptor for a 203mm Rotor on 160mm Post Mounts ($17)
    • Kool-Stop Shimano Deore Disc Brake Pads, Electric Compound ($20)
    I did the brakes first to get the pads seated and do some adjustments and they surely stop better, but still have some break-in time.

I now have the new motor installed, stripped all the old parts that are no longer needed, tied up the cables, installed the speed sensor and shift sensor, but one of the magnates with the brake sensors was broken so I'm now waiting on that to be replaced. I just received the battery and charger so that is on the bench while I finished up installing the brake sensors, tying up those cables, mounted the display & throttle. I had to put the universal throttle on the left since this bike has thumb/trigger shifters on the right side.

First ride before the battery is charged and installed shows that low gears are not smooth and the chainline is worrying me a bit. I may need to jump up to the 42T from the 30T or change out the rear cassette from 9 gears to 7.

The motor housing is right up against the chainstay, so there is no room at the inn. I may try the steel 46 that came with the kit just to see how the chainline looks and if I can get away with a 42T if I order one of those.

Looks good. You did a nice job on the cables. At a glance there doesn't look like there are extra cables. Looks like you did a pretty good job with your kit. Its pretty much what a lot of us settled on. Chainring is the only real variable because it really depends on the bike.

You chain line does look terrible. I'm not sure if just dropping 2 will help but you do some testing and see how many you can do. I have not really noticed much difference in the diameter if its not happy on a 24 it won't be happy on a 36. Once you know where you are at with that you can then try the stock 46 since you have it. The Lekkie 42 and 40 (with its special gear cover) are about 1mm further in than the stock 46t ring. The Luna Eclipse 42 is about 6mm further in than the stock one so mounting the 46 is a good way to eyeball and even measure if the Lekkie or Eclipse will be the best fit.

My guess is one of the 42's will get you as much offset as possible. If the gearing isn't low enough then you would have to look at a larger cassette which could require a different derailer to take the extra range. If you can get to a 42-42 you will have decent climbing power and be borderline for plowing through loose material like snow, mud, or loose sand. On my 29er street bike I'm happy with a 36-42 combo. On my fat bike I got the 42-42 and like I said for my fat butt it can be borderline on steep trails. The 30 would be great but without being able to access similar rear gears it doesn't really help with the low end and will cut into your high end if that is an issue for your use.

For the brake magnet it doesn't have to be the ones that came in the kit. Just about any magnet will work so if you can find an assortment and something that fits your levers better go with em. Don't forget to try different orientations of the magnets and mark them so you can keep track of where it works best. I have found some orientations there is a pretty wide range of movement to trip the sensor and others its a fairly crisp on and off with very little movement.

For the throttle I found it way more comfortable to put the throttle after the grip and then the brake lever. Put a space on the right side to make up for it and keep the levers the same. To me I didn't feel that much difference in how my 2 finger brakes felt but I was used to full levers before I got this bike so maybe because it was all new the spacing didn't bother me. I was originally thinking the deluxe left throttle would be much better but it wasn't in stock so I started with the cheap one. Eventually I got a deluxe and it is a much more solid unit and has a more narrow clamp so it takes up less bar space but I just didn't find it as easy or comfortable to use so I went back to the cheap one.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
      Looks good. You did a nice job on the cables. At a glance there doesn't look like there are extra cables. Looks like you did a pretty good job with your kit. Its pretty much what a lot of us settled on. Chainring is the only real variable because it really depends on the bike.

You chain line does look terrible. I'm not sure if just dropping 2 will help but you do some testing and see how many you can do. I have not really noticed much difference in the diameter if its not happy on a 24 it won't be happy on a 36. Once you know where you are at with that you can then try the stock 46 since you have it. The Lekkie 42 and 40 (with its special gear cover) are about 1mm further in than the stock 46t ring. The Luna Eclipse 42 is about 6mm further in than the stock one so mounting the 46 is a good way to eyeball and even measure if the Lekkie or Eclipse will be the best fit.

My guess is one of the 42's will get you as much offset as possible. If the gearing isn't low enough then you would have to look at a larger cassette which could require a different derailer to take the extra range. If you can get to a 42-42 you will have decent climbing power and be borderline for plowing through loose material like snow, mud, or loose sand. On my 29er street bike I'm happy with a 36-42 combo. On my fat bike I got the 42-42 and like I said for my fat butt it can be borderline on steep trails. The 30 would be great but without being able to access similar rear gears it doesn't really help with the low end and will cut into your high end if that is an issue for your use.

For the brake magnet it doesn't have to be the ones that came in the kit. Just about any magnet will work so if you can find an assortment and something that fits your levers better go with em. Don't forget to try different orientations of the magnets and mark them so you can keep track of where it works best. I have found some orientations there is a pretty wide range of movement to trip the sensor and others its a fairly crisp on and off with very little movement.

For the throttle I found it way more comfortable to put the throttle after the grip and then the brake lever. Put a space on the right side to make up for it and keep the levers the same. To me I didn't feel that much difference in how my 2 finger brakes felt but I was used to full levers before I got this bike so maybe because it was all new the spacing didn't bother me. I was originally thinking the deluxe left throttle would be much better but it wasn't in stock so I started with the cheap one. Eventually I got a deluxe and it is a much more solid unit and has a more narrow clamp so it takes up less bar space but I just didn't find it as easy or comfortable to use so I went back to the cheap one.
      wow, thanks for all the great feedback. I ended up just using some epoxy to mount the magnates and have those and the gear sensor working. Nice and smooth shifts when things are aligned on the chainline. Still need to adjust the derailleur but not sure it makes sense with the bad chainline, and there are still some ghost shifts going down.

Installed the Wolfpack v2 today and it just fits in with 3/4" above and 1" to the seat post. Fired it up on the bench and adjusted the settings on the display.

First ride today and it is quick and the torque and climbing is awesome. The PAS is nice and smooth and not jarring like I was afraid it might be with all that torque and the 30T up front. I picked a few nice hills close to home on the paved trails here and I had no problems and kept it on the low gears and low PAS during climbs. I can't peddle fast enough to keep up with the higher PAS and I let off at 30mph on flat ground, but I'm not really after road speeds. I really want to keep the 11-34 or a similar 9 speed cassette on the back so I'm going to take some measurements and see which 42T will work between the Lekkie or Eclipse.

I don't mind the universal throttle and on the left works well. I kept the spacing the same on both sides, since the brake mounts are narrow the throttle is easy to reach.

The bike now weighs 55 lbs up from 30 before modifications.

Comment

Looks like that wolf pack was made to fit that frame.

Just curious what your weight is? I have a theory that the people that complain about the response on these are skinny. I'm in the 250 range and don't have a problem as long as I am on the bike. If I'm off it and bump the throttle then ya its crazy but my fat butt seems to dampen it pretty well.

Comment

Yeah, I used the pdf cutout to size the frame and battery. My only concern was the mounting mechanism and this design really saves space so it works really well in the small frame. I'm 5'6" and 190lbs, and the throttle acceleration really takes off well vs the PAS.

I took some measurements and ordered the 42T Lekkie chainring tonight, so I'll be installing that to fix the bad chainline. I measured 19mm from where the 30T sits, so it should get me close enough. I know the Eclipse is further inward, but they don't have any black ones, just bright colors, so that made my decision for me.

Comment

The 30 should be 9mm offset. Lekkie I think is 19 or 20 so you are moving in about 10mm which should be 2 or 3 gears worth.

Comment

I replaced the 30T with the steel 46T and the chainline is improved nicely while shifting is much smoother on the bench, but still have yet to road test since it's been rainy and cold (37F right now). I can only get it shifting into 1-7 on the back, so I need to do some adjustments on the derailleur, but I'm not experienced at that and may take it to my LBS. The top speed went from 44mph up to 51 with no load on the bench due to the bigger chainring. Hoping to get some rides in this weekend when it warms up and see how it goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_205603.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	125345
              Last edited by the_blesss; 04-02-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Check out this video on how to adjust derailleurs. Syd is learning how to do this stuff as they shoot the videos and she has minimal knack for such things and doesn't know much of the tech lingo so I think people can really relate and understand how to do things vs the 'pro' videos done by say Park Tool. Park videos are good but not quite as fun as these guys. If there are gears you can't use due to the chain line you can just set the stop as if say #3 was the lowest and your shifter won't want to let you go lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-T8uB8tbs

For those that don't like links its Syd Fixes Bikes and How to Adjust your derailleur.

Comment

• the_blesss
                  the_blesss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  73Eldo Thanks for that video, I never really spent much time learning the adjustments, but that is exactly what I needed. Shifts into all 9 gears and the chainline is perfect with the Lekkie 42HD.

I like your setup and I am considering similar for my wife. I would like to hear more about how everything works once you get it out for a ride. Are the bafang kits available or is there a waiting period?

Also, I live near trexlertown and ride EUCs if you want to go for a ride sometime.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                  73Eldo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Bafang kits are hit and miss just like pretty much everything in the bike industry. They are still cranking em out but demand is high and shipping is slow and unpredictable. Its sounding like batteries are going to be one of the harder to get items just because the world demand for the cells is high and production hasn't really increased. If you want to do it and a vendor you like has what you want in stock jump on it. If you wait and they sell out at best it will likely be weeks before they restock but could easily be months.

• the_blesss
                  the_blesss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi blinks00, nice to meet a fellow Pennsylvanian. What type of EUC do you ride, and how does it do on different terrain? I have a neighbor that rides his onewheel around the neighborhood with another one that rides an electric long board.

I used Luna Cycles for my BBSHD kit since I know other builders that trust them and their support. I also didn't want a cheap battery that may leave me stranded, so again I went with the Luna Wolfpack v2, since I know it was built right and I've read up on sub-par 52v batteries being pretty common.

I'm still waiting on the 42T Lekkie bling ring to give a bit better climbing power, in place of the 46T. Even though I like the top speed of the 46 and with the hot rod program on the BBSHD it really moves in any gear, but I want it to last so I'll compromise on the top end since I prefer trails. On a few nice flat sections of the Thun trail I was easily able to hit 30mph with the throttle (peddling at that speed with my 11-34 cassette is useless).

Overall the bike rides really nice. It is much quieter than I thought it would be, and its quieter than my wife's Ecotric fat tire bike with a Bafang 500W hub motor. I did notice some bounce in the rear when I was peddling hard, but my tire pressure must have dropped and I need to replace a tire that has developed a slow leak. The brake sensor are nice and the shift sensor also makes shifting really smooth, so I'm really happy with the performance so far. I still need to adjust the rear derailleur but thought I'd wait until the new chainring is installed when it arrives this week. From my lbs, I plan on getting a new chain and maybe some wider tires since these are getting up there in age and with the extra weight my bike (and I) have put on may push them to their limits.

I ordered from Luna on 3/19 and had everything delivered by 3/29. One of the packages was separated during Fed-Ex shipping or it all would have arrived by 3/26.

• binks00
                  binks00 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a Kingsong 18xl which handles light to medium offroading no problem. Trails and roads I cruise 15-25, top speed is 30. I usually go for 35-40 mile rides with plenty of battery to spare.

That's good to hear how quick you got parts. I want to get my wife on the trails but she doesn't have a bike yet. I was looking at prebuilt but they all seem...slow. And with very little range. I would definitely want the biggest battery possible within reason. Keep us posted on your bike, it looks great!

I put some custom color on the Luna battery to match the gray bike color and now have the steel 46T installed temporarily:

Comment

Lekkie 42T HD arrived today and I installed it and made some final adjustments on the derailleur. Top speed on a flat with 42-11 gears is 32mph without peddling.

Comment

• binks00
                    binks00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know range varies alot. What kind of range do you expect to get out of this setup cruising around 15-20 with throttle only? Also, is that the largest battery you can fit in a small frame?

binks00 I only have 1 charge on the battery so far and have not ridden very far due to needing some new tires and a chain. So far I put on 26 miles and have over 50% battery left, but some of those were bench miles, some of those were PAS miles, and a little of that was throttle only. Bike is at my lbs now for those upgrades (getting a hefty e-bike chain). I'll report once I get it back and hit my local trails. I hope to get 20-30 with throttle only, but that is pure speculation, but I'm really going to use the bike for PAS mostly.

Comment

• binks00
                    binks00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting for your next update.

Pure throttle is hard on the range especially if you are taking speeds over about 15-20 mph. Running a lower PAS setting and slightly above non assisted speeds like 16 mph would be double the range of throttle only at 20 mph+. If you are mostly going to be on the streets and under 20mph I would not worry about the chain. Lots of us doing that sort of riding are easily getting 1000 miles out of $20-40 chains. Just keep up on the lube.

Comment

New tires have much better traction, and new tubes are holding air without having to add before each ride.

PAS Battery and range tests:
                    I've done a few full charges of the battery to 100% like they say to do in the manual, then did some trails on each run to see how the usage went. Mostly riding on PAS 1-2, while hitting some local PA trails that include some nice climbing.
                    1. 19 mile loop, 60% flat, 20% bigger hills, 20% downhill, used 27% battery
                    2. 13.5 mile loop, 50% flat, 25% hills, 25% downhill, used 24% battery
                    3. 16 mile loop, 60% flat, 20% bigger hills, 20% downhill, used 25% battery
                    4. 18 mile loop, 960' climbs/descents (broke out the GPS), 27% battery
                    I did test out the top speed with throttle only on a nice flat trail and it held 36mph in top gear.
                    Last edited by the_blesss; 1 week ago.

Comment

Are you set to 9 PAS steps or the default 5? Many of us really like 9. 9 doesn't change the min or max just gives you finer steps between them. Either way you are doing great on range. If those are typical rides for you it looks like you could double the distance and still likely have a little margin or get a little lazy and use a little more throttle and still make it back with room to spare.

I just got a new 13.9 Wolf and am working through the break in and so far its looking like that extra almost 2 amp hours makes a big difference. My others are/were 12ah and if I did a typical around 20 miles I would often be coming in under 50v, sometimes well under. So far with the new pack I'm coming in around 52v. I suppose that will change a bit when I stop going to 100% every charge so maybe that is where some of the extra is coming from. I typically do 80 or 90% charges.

Comment

• the_blesss
                        the_blesss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm still using the default 5 PAS, but will try the 9, since some technical twisty climbs 1 is to low and 2 is to much. I've been using the brake sensors here and there to cut the extra push when I need to. Thanks for the great info, I saw that mentioned in the manual, but didn't know the difference. I'm going to switch to the 80-90% charge now that I did 100 for the first 5 charges.
                    Working...
                    X