• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topeak Qbeam works great for FS builds

Click image for larger version

Name:	16174649672027699689240893823964.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	125400 I was building my old 2000 specialized rockhopper fsr. I ended up with a problem mounting the battery. The luna wolf 52v was way to big for any location other than a rack. The other problem was finding a rack that worked with this bike. I seen the old man mountain racks but im really not there yet. I came across this Topeak and it looked like it would. I took off the rack so I was left with just the beam and put a spacer under the battery mount. Worked great.
    Attached Files
    Starts
    04-03-2021
    Ends
    04-03-2021

I was thinking about doing that, looks good.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the whole bike?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210403_113501.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	125463

Comment

With part of the pack hanging off the rack like that its got to be pushing the 15 pound weight limit when you add in the leverage you get with the 9 pound pack. That would make me nervous just jumping curbs. I don't know if I would want to hit the trails with it. Also you are gonna really feel the weight up high if you swing the bike around at all. How close is it if you went above the motor?

Comment

Do you have better picks of the bike in profile? Interested in seeing how the motor angle is. I have a 2000 Rockhopper Comp FSR.
            Attached Files

Comment

I only wish I had the rear disc brake torque arm for mine.

Comment

I just noticed in that last photo that the chainstay had a pivot at the dropouts too? Or isn't that a pivot?

I can't find where I saw it but there is a add a disc bracket someone makes for the rear that has a tie rod looking thing that goes from the bracket to a cantilever stud to accomplish something similar to that.

Comment

• Dshue
                  Dshue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is a pivot. Yeah there are some big cluggy torque arms and they will work, but the ones made for this frame at least blend in with the aesthetics a little. And disc brakes will break the seat stay on these if a torque arm isn't used.

The rack is supposed to be rated for 20lbs. It seems plenty for what I need currently which is running back and forth to work. Where I am the summer months are going to jam up with traffic and you can can sit for a good 10 or more minutes. I am only about 20m by car but its a nice time of year to cycle.. I bought this when i was 23 years old and its been sitting a long time so I decided to repurpose it. No curb hopping or anything crazy.

I will try and get a few more pictures on tomorrow to show a few other things like the motor angle, more detail from the other sides and such.

I didn't have much option with it came to the battery. If i wanted to put it where the water bottle goes i would have to drop the angle of the motor almost 90degrees and that wasn't going to work. I pushed the motor angle up as high as it would go. I thought maybe push it higher on the down tube but there was a monster gap and without creating some sort of bracket that wouldn't work. I searched for some answers and Old Man Mountain came up a lot. I will most likely fabricate a rear rack at some point. Ideally yes you want the weight to transfer the load down into the bike so if i made a rack that attached to the rear section of the bike only and maybe to the skewer or vicinity of that would be the best bet.

The disc brakes are Hayes HFX9. They seem like they will work but I may update those to something a bit beefier. They weren't offered at the time so I had added them on shortly after, the trails nearby get real slick and cantilever brakes didn't cut the mustard. I wasn't able to stop or slow enough on the trails and kept hitting trees. They helped a lot. So the system is aftermarket and the torque arm was a must. That is probably what you see there.

Again I will try to take a few more pictures. ill grab the battery and show you what it looked like under the downtube. I actually didn't think the battery was going to be that big to be honest.

Comment

Here are some additional pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210406_095950.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	125565 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210406_095831.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	125566 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210406_095847.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	125567 Click image for larger version

Name:	CollageMaker_20210406_101147834.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	125568

Comment

• 73Eldo
                    73Eldo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How about right side up over the motor?

There aren't many choices on that bike. A rack was the only good method I could see.
                  I used to carry all kinds of loads on my Rockhopper with a seat post mounted rack. Fishing tackle, overnight bike packing trips etc. For bike paths, streets and even single track trails I never had an issue with 15 pounds up that high. And the rack I always used on my Rockhopper held up fine with that kind of weight. But when I put that rack on my hard tail Axum with a 13# battery it broke.
                  the Topeak rack you have looks a little more robust that the Schwinn rack I had.

Comment

73eldo, I am not sure what you are looking for as far as the right side up over the motor goes. Could you clarify so that I might be able to answer you correctly.

This rack does seem pretty sturdy. However, I did notice the screw inserts are loosening and are staying tight. That is a problem. I may thru-bolt for a better attachment. I have velcro straps over the battery currently but I don't feel good about that by itself.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                      73Eldo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One photo you held the pack above the motor but you had it bracket up. It looks like if you flipped it bracket down the curves may be pretty close to aligning.

Do they still make that rack? I can't find it. I can only the racks that go straight back, or angle downwards. Or did you just put it on upside down?
                    Last edited by merlin4194; 5 days ago.

Comment

That's the A-type
                      https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...AMRACK-(A-TYPE)

Comment

A straight rack also works on this bike IF you're tall and have a long 350mm seat post.

Comment

Working...
                        X