1997 Giant ATX 880 BBSHD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Giant ATX 880 BBSHD.

Sorry I'm having problems installing photos, I will try to insert them as soon as I figure it out.

This has been a long, interesting journey. I discovered the world of e-bikes the beginning of this year 2016. After a few months of research, in early May I ordered the Luna BBSHD (68-73mm) with upgraded Luna 42T chain ring along with the color monitor & universal thumb throttle. I also ordered the 52V smart charger & 52V GA 17ah battery.

The BB removal & motor install went smoothly with no adjustments or spacers needed. A simple plug & play install. I did need to cut & solder extensions for the control wiring due to running ape hangers. This was not difficult but took a little longer than the actual install. I decided not to install the brake levers/sensors and as of today don't regret that decision.

First test ride without e-assist brought the first challenge of this build. Bad Chainline. The chain consistently missed hooking up to the front ring. That experience was discussed here; http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...idn-t-work-out

After several attempts to fabricate a chain guide unsuccessfully I purchased a Shram G8 IGH. Being unfamiliar with IGH's & lacing spokes I took it to a small bike shop. That turned into an major drama discussed here; http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ic-frustration

I got the bike back Friday and have logged some rubber to pavement & dirt. I live in hilly/mountainous terrain & peddle without e-assist as much as I can. This morning was the first time I needed PAS2 although I have used the throttle a few times on serious, technical climbs. Friday I did 20 miles of mixed pavement/fire road & single track, some pretty technical, everything is good & I have a smile on my face. Sunday I did 30 miles mixed riding again. This morning I did 45 miles of pavement with about 50% legs & 50% PAS1 switching to PAS2 briefly on the last hill (legs were starting to burn and I'd like to walk tomorrow). I've been unable to calculate battery usage. I don't have a batman and running 52v the monitor isn't effective. I can say I haven't even used half battery yet. I started with 58v on today's ride of 45 hilly miles and still have 55v left.

All said, I'm pleased with how things turned out. This was a test build and I learned a lot. If I have one complaint it's that the Shram G8 seems weak and I'm not sure how long it's gonna last. It jumps off gear even when not shifting & when I shift I stop peddling and carefully ease back into my cadence, making sure I have positive hookup. It appears that the shift cable has stretched & the hub is out of calibration by about a 1/4 inch. All info suggests tuning by turning cable insert at the shifter but that is as tight as it will go. I can't find any info on how to adjust cable at the hub & looking at it I don't want to mess with it so back to the shop. This time I'm gonna watch & have him explain what he's doing. The donner bike is solid & handles well with confidence even at 30mpg. With the 42T front ring & the Shram G8 in 8th gear I do 16-18mpg with a good cadence, 19-20mpg and I'm feeling like a hamster on a tread wheel.

I like this build for it's diversity. I have it set up as a comfort cruiser which it fairs well at but I can do some pretty technical MB stuff for a fat old man (downhill bombing not included). The wiring needs to be cleaned up & rear derailleur will be replaced with a proper tension arm. I'm already looking forward to my next build.
    Last edited by tonk; 07-27-2016, 05:29 AM.

Finally figured out how to resize so they would transfer. I'm a techtard.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      I would look into updating that fork so you can get 180mm disc brake on the front at least. Rockshox Judy XC with Avid BB7 and sintered copper pads is what I would do for a bike from that era. Just be sure it's the same tarvel as the one that's on there now. Back then probably 65 or 85mm.if it's 85 mm Marzocchi MX Comp is another good fork.

Looks good. Is it still working?

Comment

Working...
    X